Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Calen Brait - Lead Modeler Bioshock Infinite

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CalenBrait polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

Like a few others on here from Irrational Games, I wanted to show some of the art I did while on Bioshock Infinite for the last 5 years. I was the Lead Modeler, which I managed 5 internal artists, outsourcing companies and day to day making art. Similar to other smaller companies, I had to wear a variety of hats to help, proudly get Infinite to the finish line! Almost all of the architecture you will see, I setup in 'Procedural Rulesets' in our version of UE3. I believe we were the first game to ship with this as a game wide architectural system (someone jump in, if this isn't so). You will see it's basically like a BSP volume that you can select a face and drag out the building to get the desired results of - more windows or less windows. This was a big performance savior that allowed us to save with instancing meshes, especially since our Xbox360/PS3 asset restrictions were tight.

Also, to give credit to other talented artists at Irrational, some of the beginning screen shots have smaller props and characters. I did not create these. The top textured assets had concept art, which help keep our style cohesive. All else I created!

Thanks for looking!
- Calen

cbrait@gmail.com
https://twitter.com/CalenBrait

TC_Red_High_Res.jpg?format=1000w

TC_Yellow_High_Res.jpg?format=1000w

Fink_Modular_High_Res.jpg?format=1000w

BW_High_Res.jpg?format=1000w

BW_2_High_res.jpg?format=1000w

fink_01.jpg?format=1500w

Bldg_fink_ornate.jpg?format=1500w

Bldg_TC_BLDGS_High_Res.jpg?format=1500w