Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer's Melta Gun

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
Hard surface for the hard surface god!
This is my go at my all time favorite Melta-Gun, from the 40K Universe.
The High Poly is more or less done. I'll work a little bit more on the detailing, before I move on to retopo.
giP0x1M.png

I'm trying to come up with ideas for the details on the top of the gun, but nothing comes to mind.
Any tips or suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

Update:
i05XEK23Mziij.png
i8EMvYmF4jPXk.png

Replies

• Xazas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work! For a moment the shade of grey made me think that is actually a photo of a real plastic bit. It is very accurate to the original and you put some good details in as well.
    The only things that look a bit of for me are the big grooves in the middle. They seem to be irregular in thickness. And the space next to it looks a bit empty for now and could use some detail.

As it is a close range weapon something like a scope on top would be illogical. I would stick to the oversized iron sights. If this is supposed to be a meltagun to be used by a "normal" human instead of a Space Marine you could put an aditional handle on top for firing it from the hip likeMGs have for carrying them around.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas wrote: »
    Nice work! For a moment the shade of grey made me think that is actually a photo of a real plastic bit. It is very accurate to the original and you put some good details in as well.
    The only things that look a bit of for me are the big grooves in the middle. They seem to be irregular in thickness. And the space next to it looks a bit empty for now and could use some detail.

As it is a close range weapon something like a scope on top would be illogical. I would stick to the oversized iron sights. If this is supposed to be a meltagun to be used by a "normal" human instead of a Space Marine you could put an aditional handle on top for firing it from the hip likeMGs have for carrying them around.

Thanks for the awesome feedback!
    I tried fiddiling around with some "scope" ideas, but eventually stuck with the iron sights. As you said, it makes the most sense.

I really like the idea of adding a "human" handle. I was making this model with Adeptus Mechanicus in mind( That's why I created the "Mechanicus Aquila" insignia), but modelling a separate handle would be cool.

The whole process got me deep into 40k lore, So I might as well satisfy the Hard Surface gods with a whole cabinet of Warhammer weps. But first, retopo'ing and texturing this bad boy!
    I think I'll PBR it.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice work man. yeah 40k is like a virus. once you get it into your system you tend to go a little nuts.... the idea of building a companyt of marines is kicking about in my head. im just glad i STARTED with the dread rather than having all that work looming in my future.. :P
  • Ribtibs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love me some warhammer 40k art. I think the gun needs surface damage. The grim dark future is grim dark. A lot of the weapons in 40k get reused a lot since the adeptus mechanicus can't mass produce some of these things. Just throw on a purity seal or two, and rough up those edges with the planar brush in ZB. :D
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to revisit this project, after learning some PBR.
    Final textured low poly:
    ibeMYF3UJMIpB.png
  • astiil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astiil polycounter lvl 6
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would give a little life to the scroll object on the side, letting it flow more like paper or cloth along the side of the gun. Wax stamp looks awesome with reflections.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    astiil wrote: »
    http://screencast.com/t/sjGoAMxc Does not much small grip?

Nope, the grip's the right size. It's a HUGE weapon, like most Warhammer 40k guns. In real life, it'd have to be tripod mounted, but 40k characters run around waving things like that one-handed.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I would work on the texture some more. At the moment it's just reading as a flat blue colour with some grey painted on the edges. The metal isn't reading well either. I'd go back and work on your material definition.
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    nice gun when i see a war hammer 40 item i all way's think of this video :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkSM7F_bac"]Boreale is Planning - YouTube[/ame]
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback, battle brothers!
    Currently re-texturing the thing, and redoing the purity seal.
    I'll also get Marmoset Toolbag for a proper render, since I've noticed how noisy
    Substance Desinger's renders are.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I got so far:
    i05XEK23Mziij.png
    i8EMvYmF4jPXk.png