Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | March 2014 | Adviser Pilot Girl

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
You have time until 31st March to finish this month challenge. (ready for game engine model)

Anyone and Everyone can participate.
We will start a new voting thread one week prior to the beginning of a new challenge where participants can decide on the next concept to work from.
[25th March is when we start concept art voting phrase for April]

The goal of these challenges is to learn as much as possible, and to help others do the same. The rules were designed with this goal in mind, so here they are:
>> Important <<
NEW Google Hangout Permanent URL
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/c7fe9g4molu8u9fs73a0274dvh4?authuser=0&hl=en
Come say hi and share screen with everyone else while you work !!
1. Leave at least one critique per post. It makes you a better artist if you have the ability to give constructive critiques.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in this thread.

6. Specify your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions are as follows:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps

7. Similar to #6, you may pick an art-style yourself. You are, after all, an artist too.

8. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.
The 'Adviser' character from Dark District videogame.
Concept Art by Mitchell Mohrhauser
dark_district_advisor_character_by_mitchell_mohrhauser-d6ymn3e_zps90f92921.jpg

Good luck. Have fun.

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Quick analysis, planning on using a base mesh i've worked on recently. Excited for this challenge tbh.

seVFGhR.jpg
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    @ Dave Jr. - Are you sure the places you marked red are "metal places"? Or did you mean metallic in appearance? If they were made to be metal then the character would have a hard time moving around with that much metal on her or maybe even uncomfortable to move around with. Looks like maybe it could be made out of kevlar. Just my 2 cents.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
    I'm in. Here's a WIP from tonight.. spent about 2hrs gathering ref and blocking this out.

Not much yet, but it's a start.

01_zps5d84730c.jpg~original
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Excited to start this one! Just gotta finish last weeks first :)

On another note, I setup a Google event so we can keep a persistent hangout going, I enjoyed the hangouts last week and it might be easier if there's always a hangout going, somewhere people can go for help, to give crit or just chill while they work.

Here it is :)

Hopefully that works, the URL should be consistent so maybe add it to the first post so it's easy to find?

Good Luck everyone!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CapableWiz, That's cool man! Once it's confirmed to be persistent, I will add it to the 1st post. And in every upcoming challenge :P

@Polynaut, So far so good I think. Might want to pop in her head to check proportions.
  • Middnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Middnight polycounter lvl 5
    decided to join in this month aswell :)
    Never did a female character before, so really want to focus on getting the proportions and muscles right

3point_view.jpg

@polynaut good start, buy why not start with the head?
  • Middnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blocked out the body, happy with front and back, side view looks a bit off but i can't really find out what.

3point_view.jpg

gonna fix the side view tommorow and then some detailing
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got another 2 hrs or so in today.. will be working more on this tonight. I had a head in my file, but had it hidden because I haven't done anything to it yet.

Here is my progress.. still blocking everything in before I start detailing.

02_zps5942eeeb.jpg~original
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Middnight I think her forehead slope is a little off. And her head is very masculine right now.

Here's my blocking. Used lowest subdiv lv of basemesh.
    rUNHcoJ.jpg
  • Alexashby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff guys wow! Feel the proportions are slightly off on all of ours so far. I think Polynauts are pretty good.

Here is mine this is gona be fun! Gota work out these proportions better jeez, this face looks scary to me XD

girl_001_zpsf0a9ff69.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic choice and start by everyone, wish I could do this month's but sadly I'll have til wait till May when the semester ends.
    @Alexashby: your heads top is the only real problem I can see, everything else looks like a start to something great.
  • damir_boz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first challenge on this forum :)

Think I will be doing a stylized version of her, just started blocking the base
    1jqfiv.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @damir_boz Nice going there. I was debating if I would do a chibi style or not... Decided not to, though :P

I'm starting my afternoon session now, and will be on GHangout. Link on 1st post.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hey middnight, i quickly drew this up for you :) hope it helps.

i did it really quickly so its not perfect. but a fresh perspective can really help some times :D i got most of this week of so i might actually join this.

3point_view.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Do you guys have a basemesh to start with? I would high recommend finding a decent basemesh on the net, (BadKing has an excellent one as well as ZBrush having some basic ones) and build your models from that. Right now, everyone's bases (apart from damir_boz and Polynaut) are quite off in terms of proportion and anatomy. This is a huge issue because without a proper foundation to build on top of, everything else is going to look incorrect, it all has a follow on effect.

A month can disappear very quickly, go find a decent basemesh and work from that. When I send out character briefs to artists, it always includes a female or male basemesh for the artists to work from, so they done waste time going back and forth on anatomy and can maximise their time on the actual character.

On a side note, PLAN YOUR MODELING! try not to just jump in, I know its fun and I still have to hold myself back until I have stared at the reference. We one have one view of the concept so really try to picture the model in 3D space, look at the all the straps and items and rough out where they connect to, whats on her back?, what will the unseen thigh holster strapped to her look like? all this should be loosely planned and time blocked in your head or a note pad. Jumping in blind, especially with a fairly busy model this is the best way to get lost and lose a lot of time.

I am joining in this month and looking forward to it and to see everyone's progress over the month!

(Didn't mean for this to be a wall of text, just want to try to give everyone a helping hand!)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klown Walls of text are good ! Not many people care about something enough write 3+ paragraphs about it ! :)

Proportion issue has always been with me since forever :P Though I'm forcing myself to not use a pre-made basemesh. I did for awhile, and all I made ended up looking the same. And I wasn't really learning how to make a model looks good. One day I will use basemesh again to save time. But it's not this day :P This day I waste time learning the hard way <_<"

And progress from the hangout. Spent more time on her face. Adjusted her posture a tiny bit and blocked in her footgears. Will not touch the bodysuit until after I finish her proportion/anatomy. (will start on that tonight or tomorrow)

1658401_10152228406990115_2141808474_o.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Proportion issue has always been with me since forever :P Though I'm forcing myself to not use a pre-made basemesh. I did for awhile, and all I made ended up looking the same. And I wasn't really learning how to make a model looks good. One day I will use basemesh again to save time. But it's not this day :P This day I waste time learning the hard way <_<"

I guess the point I was hoping to make was that this is a character exercise, it should be about the character as a whole. If you don't have a solid basemesh your entire character will suffer before you even finish the blockout.

This is just my opinion obviously but if you want to learn, do anatomy studies, not full character builds.Do LOTS of them. Set yourself a time limit and block out a body from scratch, then make another one, and another. Make 5 versions of a hand, sculpt 3 heads in 2 hours. This is how you will get your anatomy and proportions better, and it will show when you build full characters.

I say all this as someone who did just make super detailed characters without planning or practice, who thought making 1 character over 4 months (and half the time burning out and not even finishing) was a good way to practice all the disciplines in one go. One of the best ways to get better is focused practice.

I am joining this months challenge because I want to get faster with my whole workflow. I just finished another character (this got in the way before I could pose her up and throw some presentation renders together) and want to use the mistakes I feel I made during her creation as a way to sharpen up my own workflow, find the holes and the speed bumps and figure out a way to improve them.

Hmm, another wall of text, I got some energy in me :P but I do want to try and help other artists to avoid the same mistakes I made :P
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    I don't know how far I will get, but I want to at least produce a head. :)

I had enough time for a block out on the head. Still some areas that need attention and eyes.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    God you guys and your anatomy, I wish I knew it. I am really considering trying this, I need to learn it and i know my sculpting would be laughable.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    sorry about the attatchment. am at work so not able to use my skydrive.

AlexAshby
    i did a quick skullover for your head. should help you see some of the proportional problems :) PS this is totally just me taking part without actually taking part :/

keep it up guys :D
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown wrote: »
    I guess the point I was hoping to make was that this is a character exercise, it should be about the character as a whole. If you don't have a solid basemesh your entire character will suffer before you even finish the blockout.

This is just my opinion obviously but if you want to learn, do anatomy studies, not full character builds.Do LOTS of them. Set yourself a time limit and block out a body from scratch, then make another one, and another. Make 5 versions of a hand, sculpt 3 heads in 2 hours. This is how you will get your anatomy and proportions better, and it will show when you build full characters.

I say all this as someone who did just make super detailed characters without planning or practice, who thought making 1 character over 4 months (and half the time burning out and not even finishing) was a good way to practice all the disciplines in one go. One of the best ways to get better is focused practice.

I am joining this months challenge because I want to get faster with my whole workflow. I just finished another character (this got in the way before I could pose her up and throw some presentation renders together) and want to use the mistakes I feel I made during her creation as a way to sharpen up my own workflow, find the holes and the speed bumps and figure out a way to improve them.

Hmm, another wall of text, I got some energy in me :P but I do want to try and help other artists to avoid the same mistakes I made :P

For this challenge I want to get something done but since i also have 2 pieces of coursework due this semester I will limit the scope.

What good advice klown. I agree :thumbup:, maybe other people should also try using a good simple base mesh from which to start their character sculpts.

I think the part i have difficulty with working on one thing for too long and then losing interest in it or as you put it burning out.

I will take your advice and limit my goals to a few, but i think important ones for me, with emphasis on the last point:
    creating a head.
    creating hair.
    making it "real time" (baking etc).

I am reusing the base mesh i always use and i took some time to retopo it.
    head_wip1.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    full steam ahead! i guess.
    hair fibermesh, added some brown-green eyes and overall proportional changes.
    head_wip2.jpg
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, there is definitely not enough time to do a full on anatomy study and character in 1 month. You would need to choose one. Here was my workflow for my character:

1. Download fuse from here:
    http://www.mixamo.com/fuse

2. Create a default female character and send it to mixamo to be rigged for free.
    3. Download the rig and use the automated controller script and pose my base mesh.
    4. Make proportion changes and export to zbrush
    5. Sculpt
    6. I plan on transferring the skinned weights of the default t-pose character to my new game res model once I'm done.. hopefully that will allow me to pose my new character, but we'll see how that goes...

hope that helps.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This challenge is about learning. If you don't have a good grasp on anatomy I don't recommend skipping over learning it. If you do use base mesh it should be super simple and shouldn't do all of the work for you. It doesn't really matter if you finish your piece as long as you are learning. I would say its better to learn a lot and not finish than it is to skip over areas you need to work on just to finish. This isn't a challenge like dominance war the whole point here is to learn.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    This challenge is about learning. If you don't have a good grasp on anatomy I don't recommend skipping over learning it.

Agreed, why skip that part? The whole point of the challenges are to learn as much as you can.

Good going so far everybody :) Gyrados - Love your progress, I would say the eyes could use some improvement so you don't get the stunned crash dummy look that people sometimes get when the eyes are too wide. Apart from that great stuff!
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. So if you want to learn anatomy, do a monthly anatomy study. But rushing through anatomy to participate in this doesn't make sense to me. And I disagree with not finishing the piece. If you are going to take the challenge you should try to finish.. part of the industry is meeting deadlines, so finishing these type of challenges are great practice for the type of pressure you feel when given an assignment at work.

I'm not sure what the issue is over starting with a base mesh? I doubt you will find one with the exact proportions and body type you're looking for. If it makes you feel better, block out a female and male and use them every time, instead of using someone else's. But why would you block out a base mesh for every new character you make?

Anyway, I got another hour in today.. will work on more tonight.
    03_zps0bc1962a.jpg~original
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Polynaut - Sorry but this challenge is open to all skill levels. Once you have work of the quality to get a job you can worry about deadlines until then just finish what you can as best you can.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do agree this is mostly about learning. To me, finishing is quite relative and subjective. We have a group of various level of skill here. Some are more experienced than others. Surely we can't expect everyone to deliver the same level of completion... or level of quality. We also have to understand that not everyone has the same goal in mind. Is it to finish the project in a timely manner ? Some might be more interested in the workflow. Or simply trying out new technique. Some might be trying this for the first time ever and more interested in building a half-body bust. Some might be focusing on material appearances at this point and not so much on anatomy. Or sculpting attractive faces.

I'd like to keep this challenge open to everyone, though. Keep up the good work y'all !

Here's my visualization of her helmet. Still just blocking stuff though. Influenced somewhat by google image.
    EmUU2uz.jpghelmetpa0911_468x496.resized2.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    I want to be clear in that I encourage everyone, regardless of skill level to participate in these challenges. They are a fantastic way to help yourself and others to focus on what is important in building a character from start to finish as well as a look into how others do things.

Everyone is obviously free to work on what ever they want, however they want. My advice is there to possibly help people focus their work and time a little better onto what will help the character overall as well as a look into how we do things in studio.
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a pretty cool concept that I'm really excited to work on. AND since I know about this now, I can be proactive and not find out about it on the 27th. Anyway, I spent today working on the head. It took me longer than it probably should have, but this is one of the first female characters I have really tried to make.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/wip-1_zpse9453d62.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/wip-1_zpse9453d62.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]wip-1_zpse9453d62.jpg

@middnight- She looks a little to stiff in the side pose. I think it might help if you put more of an "S curve" in her. Also, her shoulders seem maybe a touch wide? You have some nice muscle definition tho.

@PyrZen- Her face does not look right to me. I think the nose is too pointy and the jaw might need to be a bit wider. Also, her legs look like they are kinda just "stuck on". I really like that helmet.

@Alexashby- She looks stretched, and I think her neck is a bit too long. Its a good start, proportions are hard, but really important. Keep at it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @atomicguppy Thanks man. I agree the jaws could be wider. I think the concept art has her with strong jawline, but not square-face. However when I widen her jaw, it ends up with her square-face instead. Funny about her pointy nose, I was just thinking you could give her a little bit more pointy nose as well O o' I will work more on her legs though. Some more proportions to adjust. I'm having trouble having both thighs and calves to appear slim and long like in concept art, but without getting them taller than 4 heads. Oh. I think you can give her a bit more cheek as well.

On a related unrelated note; I don't know why but many times I do Transpose, I end up causing the vertical center line to go in one direction or the other. Like the center of nose is off by a tiny bit. Or sometimes left eye and right eye got a bit different eyelids... Even though I make sure to always have 'X' mirror on. Or to mask off the area I don't need. But it still happens... like, most recently I got her butt off center by a bit...
  • Middnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pyrzen, that happens when your topology aint symetrical
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Decided to take part in my first ever Polycount challenge, and model my first ever Female character. I'm finding it really challenging to not make her look masculine, especially when it comes to the face. Any critiques and/or advice would be much appreciated!

(I haven't touched the hands yet, so please ignore the mess)

PvH8s6F.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reference. and work on lower subdiv levels, my friends. Female are hard because their details are very subtle. Usually I'd drop down a landmark, then smooth-destroy it. Then repeat again.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/463448617876590578/
    http://www.pinterest.com/PyrZern/reference-faces-n-hair/
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZen: I have had that problem a couple times. Have you tried using local symmetry instead?

@Abidus: Try using z-remesher to a lower polygon count; it looks lumpy and a hard to sculpt on right now.

@atomicguppy: I think the borders defining the lips are way too sharp and the nose too straight in the side profile.

Started working on the details and since they are all on different layers it will be possible to still edit the overall shape. I also fixed the eyes hopefully.
    head_wip3.jpg
  • AnotherDustin
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have tried to fix some of the issues you guys mentioned with the face. Its really hard to get a read on how her face should look exactly from the concept, at least that's the way I feel. It's probably something I will keep tweeking until I am done with this project.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/wip_face_zps7abba507.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/wip_face_zps7abba507.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]wip_face_zps7abba507.jpg

I also did a block out of the whole body. It looks a little funky in some areas because I built her out of multiple sub tools. I tried to build in some muscle a bit but was not really too worried about detailing it since most of it would be covered by the suit anyway. She looks a little to manly and ripped from the side so I'll have to go in and play with that a bit.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/wip_body_zps9e959ce3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/wip_body_zps9e959ce3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]wip_body_zps9e959ce3.jpg

@Abidus- The major issue right now is proportions and getting some of the shapes right. Make sure you look at a ton of reference when you are sculpting. Just a few things I see immediately are that her neck is too long and her rib cage might need a little bulking up. A major thing to watch for is how the pectoral muscles flow into the deltoid/shoulder muscles and how the breast fit overtop of the pectoral muscles. If you can nail that then that goes a long way on selling a female form. Keep at it man, the start is the hardest part.

@gyarados- Looks pretty awesome. I don't think that she looks like the concept, but it can be kinda hard to tell without the hair. She also looks a little younger, like maybe she is 18 while the concept feels a bit more like...mid to late twenties? I still like it a lot tho.

@AnotherDustin- Lookin good man. The only real crit I have would be that her waist looks a bit to pulled out but that's not really a huge deal, especially once you start sculpting the suit. Keep up the great work!
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely need more people in the Hangout during he midday ours, Its only ever me :'(
    Some progress I made last night with 3/4 people in the hangout and today alone.

7jR23.jpg

Still struggling to really get that womanly feel/tone on the piece, its very rough but its just a good base to work from So I don't muck up step one, Any critique?

Im guessing once I start fleshing out it will get more form to it....

Here is my reference btw,
    WARNING NUDITY
    http://carbonentintado.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/aneta-angulos.jpg

EDIT:

Seems a bit of bulking and blocking did the trick, it allowed me to use the very core bone and muscle base as a guide to layout of flesh and fat.

7jShN.jpg

C&C Appreciated :D
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to say at this point since you guys are working on the base meshes and doing a good job.

atomicguppy: what references are you using for the face? anyone in particular?

@all: what references will you guys using for the face?

Started texturing the head.
    head_wip4.jpg
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have just been looking really closely at the face of the concept. She looks really familiar, but I cant quite place who she looks like. If I can place who she looks like then I would definitely use that as reference. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    I have just been looking really closely at the face of the concept. She looks really familiar, but I cant quite place who she looks like. If I can place who she looks like then I would definitely use that as reference. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think she looks a lot like Shannon Sossamon, That's probably who I'd be trying to get a likenss of for my model.

T5RVqfv.jpg

Thanks a lot for the comments and references everyone, Haven't had the chance to work on it since but I will in the next couple of days hopefully :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Gyarados good going mate, coming along nicely :)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked ALOT on my old base, and a quick polypaint. Tried to make it abit more feminine but i don't think it matches the heroic 8 head proportions... still I might keep it abit more realistic.

Will have to rework the face though...

TpF02uA.jpg

Crits appreciated!
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this is my first challenge and also my first female character so any crits will be really appreciated! :)
    Here is my wip

BrDNtfD.png

LxnSU4V.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @atomicguppy You probably want to merge those different subtools/organs. Maybe leave the head and hands separated from body, but all the rest can be one solid piece. Dynamesh to merge, then ZRemesher. Smooth destroy everything on a lower subdiv so you don't get lumpy skin :P Especially her lower half of the body.

@Nemecys Sry man, I just woke up here. That looks pretty good there. Can't wait to see her face. I think you got her upper half a little longer than her lower half. So maybe shorten her torso a bit. I think she will appear more feminine with some posture adjustment.

@gyarados Lovely face there!

@Dave Jr Nice going there. Thigh gap will make her look better ! And I think her butt should be a tad lower than her crotch. Her neck is a little too thick for my liking though.

@dvisionvoid Looks way better than my first female sculpt !! Watch the shoulder/arm-pit area from the front view.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Cheers for the feedback on the proportions; immediately fixed that and got to work on the head, trying to achieve a similar likeness to concept and cheers to Abidus for posting the celebrity lookalike.

Head Update: eyelashes are quick placeholder i made in max, crits appreciated:)

Will reupdate soon with a better matcap

RISXbiI.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Hi all,

First time taking part in one of the challenges so fingers crossed I see it through. I'm useless at finishing personal projects so have decided to take the last unfinished body sculpt I was working on as my start point.

This evening I've been working on the head and I'd appreciate any pointers. I always struggle with eyelids, as you can see they're very thin right now and the mouth needs more work, but for now I think I'll move onto the suit/armor and see how I fare with that.

1szq64B.jpg

For face shape reference I used this image of the square jawed Keira Knightly, amongst others...
    XKlgeK5.jpg

Some great images posted by everyone already and certainly a mix of overall looks.

@gyarados: Nothing to add but just wanted to say that face is looking fantastic and your first turn around was a great help when it came to working out where I was going wrong in some places :)
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    EfyMiZ4.png

Arm pit and knees corrected :) Do you think is better now?
  • Middnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycount.jpg

lower arms need work, head is not final, sculpting a head every day to get used to female faces, great exercise.

@dvisionvoid; good start, breast seperation needs abit more work
    @Monophobe; mid section looks a bit off, also, pose the arms a bit beter, more relaxed, gives a more real feel to your character
    @dave jr; looking good
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Great to see everyone getting into this months challenge! Lets try to keep this effect all the way to the end!

Before getting specific with peoples feedback , I thought I would post up the nice high rez ref I used for my basemesh and a quick and easy way to check proportions and anatomy.
    Use the opacity setting slider at the top right of ZBrush. Throw this reference (or what ever ref you want) on your screen, bring up ZB, turn on perspective and change ZBs opacity to about 50%, that way you can line up your images and viewport (can even save the view in the document custom slot) and rework what ever you want with some overlaid ref.

Really try to see where your model might look off compared to your ref. Look at distances between certain features, sizes, curves etc to be able to tell if your own stuff is looking right.

Im hoping to post my base and block up tonight, work and life has been getting in the way in the last few days. Being an Aussie, the time difference sucks as I've dropped into the Hangout now and then but its always empty :(.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/nzisuw.jpg
    http://oi57.tinypic.com/vhe05j.jpg
    http://oi59.tinypic.com/2dj1gds.jpg

Keep up the great work everyone :D