Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Homemade Revolver

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
Hi there! Going to dump some pictures of a revolver I made for an assignment in my school. The assignment was to make either an enviorment, vehicle, character or prop. I decided to make a prop, in this case a revolver that uses everyday items you can find in your home as attachments.

The only restrictions we had were a maximum of 6000 tris and one 1024 uv-sheet (although we could use several maps; diffuse, normal, etc.)

I made a very rough concept but you'll se later on that I changed some parts of the model.
3NvNARS.jpg

Replies

• Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    My greatest inspiration was the game Metro 2033, a post-apocalyptic game where almost all the weapons in the game are homemade.
    i0WF9ub.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the progress pictures of my high-poly.
    6PROV5e.jpg

I used a half of binocular as a scope, put together with a belt. (Keep in mind that this is not supposed to be realistic)
    GMPzq0G.jpg

A "modified" thermos used as a silencer. And yes I know that a revolver can't be silenced in real life, but then again, it's not based on realism.
    mQHqIQ7.jpg

The thermos is put together with the revolver with some sort of metal ring and a peice of cloth as a form of padding.
    tMouU3G.jpg

The "muzzle" covered up with rubber and some screws.
    MDMvNKk.jpg

A can that functions as a form of ammobox / magazine.
    ACb1QRs.jpg

This is how the can is attached.
    FjTZrZd.jpg

The mechanism that feeds the bullets to the revolver.
    9gRDOjv.jpg

Added bullets.
    ohuzlNI.jpg

And here's the final high-poly model! With 1.603.430 tris.
    JhfvuKO.jpg
  • osed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osed polycounter lvl 4
    nice, cant wait to see the finished version:) I like the metro 2033 look of it.
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    osed wrote: »
    nice, cant wait to see the finished version:) I like the metro 2033 look of it.
    Thank you! More pics will be up soon!:)
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Unfortunately, I don't have any progress pictures on my lowpoly but here's the final version! 5992 tris! Just under the limit of 6000 :D
    h3KmlfI.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the vireframe on my highpoly!
    acAbWJE.jpg
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You could safe a lot of polys if you clean up the inner part of the grip which is currently a nightmare of triangles ;).

You could also place a simple plane inside of the can to make it not look empty.
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my texture maps. All the texturing is done in Photoshop and dDo.
    9O48ABf.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    .Wiki wrote: »
    You could safe a lot of polys if you clean up the inner part of the grip which is currently a nightmare of triangles ;).

You could also place a simple plane inside of the can to make it not look empty.

Thanks for the advice! :) That was an old picture of the low-poly, here's the grip in it's current state.
    NAJtakX.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Final lowpoly render! I would like to fix the textures on the thermos and a more high-res texture on the can but really don't have the time yes. The due for this assignment is tomorrow.
    YYWF5u2.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Is that belt feed even possible?
    Don't know really hehe. Just liked the idea :)
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the actual model. Sketchfab doesn't render it as good as Marmorset does so it doesn't look quite as good.
    [SKETCHFAB]7b2e828ae87b4119aa542272d6217ea5[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Love the idea! Really, really creative. My only complaint is that the wear and tear could probably be pushed across the body of the revolver. The silencer and can are both well worn, but the scope, belt, and revolver almost look new.. Have scratches, markings, and discoloration consistent across the whole piece would really add a lot to it.
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Moosebish wrote: »
    Love the idea! Really, really creative. My only complaint is that the wear and tear could probably be pushed across the body of the revolver. The silencer and can are both well worn, but the scope, belt, and revolver almost look new.. Have scratches, markings, and discoloration consistent across the whole piece would really add a lot to it.

Thank you! :D
    Ye I thougth so as well, I tried to add more damage to the body in the diffuse map as you can see, but it wouldn't show up in my render. I will try to experiment some more on it later :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    that texture res is crazy low... what size are the maps?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Creative idea, though your really have some huge design flaws when it comes to function. In an other universe ey? ;)

Your material definition is completely off. You've wrote glow but I guess you mean gloss? Can you use the names that the Toolbag uses? And btw, the reason it looks different in sketchFab is cause it's using a different rendering method. And yeah, height.. It's doesn't really make any sense, it looks way to messy to actually add definition to your model.

For a better understanding off PBR materials have a look at this. https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Your noise is to big in scale and way to high as well. It should be a very subtle effect.

Regarding you grip, there's in reason to merge them in like that. Aim for something cleaner like this.
    gripTopology01.jpg
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    that texture res is crazy low... what size are the maps?

It's all 1024 maps, although my uv optimization is not very great.
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Creative idea, though your really have some huge design flaws when it comes to function. In an other universe ey? ;)

Your material definition is completely off. You've wrote glow but I guess you mean gloss? Can you use the names that the Toolbag uses? And btw, the reason it looks different in sketchFab is cause it's using a different rendering method. And yeah, height.. It's doesn't really make any sense, it looks way to messy to actually add definition to your model.

For a better understanding off PBR materials have a look at this. https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Your noise is to big in scale and way to high as well. It should be a very subtle effect.

Regarding you grip, there's in reason to merge them in like that. Aim for something cleaner like this.
    gripTopology01.jpg

Thank you, but as I wrote at the beginning of the thread, it's not based on reality.
    Thanks for the critique, I am still learning and this was my first time using dDo so I really didn't think about what the height map actually did. dDo generated the height map for me so I figured it did something.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    you say its not based in reality but then again you also said you wanted to build a gun using everyday products...meaning it is in reality the design is really cool and i think that is what he is saying :)

also i agree with Mawcos the texture deff is off
    i look at the barrel/silencer thing and it feels completly different when i look at the images you have up for example when you do a render in marmaset it looks silver and then in the subsiquent image it is black and feels like a completly different material... i have no idea what it is also your rust is to splochy and feathery, i also think it is inconsistent, i understand that these are all different pieces that have experienced different and varying degrees of degradation. that being said i feel that it should feel different and if that ammo can at the bottom is indeed rusting i feel it would have peeling paint and you would be able to read the logo on the can
    also the weathering on the gun is inconsistent if the metal on the gun is to the point of rusting you are going to have some rubber degradation.

ok, that being said...i really like the design i think it is based in reality and that you are taking some liberties in how guns work, but i feel it looks great :) and dont get down on my crits, i know they can be a bit harsh but thats what you need when your growing and learning as an artist, i found that when ppl would tell me my stuff was good as a student i was like im awesome and completely miss that i was not even on the same page as ppl in the industry. haha so hang in there man itll be great youve just started down an amazing road filled with adventure and epicness :)

i really hope this helps i hope to see more work from you in the future :)
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Cglewis wrote: »
    you say its not based in reality but then again you also said you wanted to build a gun using everyday products...meaning it is in reality the design is really cool and i think that is what he is saying :)

also i agree with Mawcos the texture deff is off
    i look at the barrel/silencer thing and it feels completly different when i look at the images you have up for example when you do a render in marmaset it looks silver and then in the subsiquent image it is black and feels like a completly different material... i have no idea what it is also your rust is to splochy and feathery, i also think it is inconsistent, i understand that these are all different pieces that have experienced different and varying degrees of degradation. that being said i feel that it should feel different and if that ammo can at the bottom is indeed rusting i feel it would have peeling paint and you would be able to read the logo on the can
    also the weathering on the gun is inconsistent if the metal on the gun is to the point of rusting you are going to have some rubber degradation.

ok, that being said...i really like the design i think it is based in reality and that you are taking some liberties in how guns work, but i feel it looks great :) and dont get down on my crits, i know they can be a bit harsh but thats what you need when your growing and learning as an artist, i found that when ppl would tell me my stuff was good as a student i was like im awesome and completely miss that i was not even on the same page as ppl in the industry. haha so hang in there man itll be great youve just started down an amazing road filled with adventure and epicness :)

i really hope this helps i hope to see more work from you in the future :)

Ye when I say that it's not based on reality I meant, like you said, that it uses every day products but I know that it wouldn't actualy work in real life. And that barrel/silencer is supposed to be a thermos, it's hard to make it seem like a thermos because it's only so much material that defines it. And the reason why the rust is more low-res on the thermos is because I did a not so optimized uv-sheet.

And thank you! :) I rather have honest crits than just someone saying "it's cool", I didn't even think that my materials wasn't that defined so that's definitely something I will keep in mind in the future :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I'm just gonna say this. You don't get better from ignoring fundamental rules of material creation and "remember that in the future". The students that actually choose to go back to their model/texture and go that extra mile are the ones that makes it in the end.

Receiving feedback is not anything you should take for granted.
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say this. You don't get better from ignoring fundamental rules of material creation and "remember that in the future". The students that actually choose to go back to their model/texture and go that extra mile are the ones that makes it in the end.

Receiving feedback is not anything you should take for granted.

Ofcourse, I will do that when I have the time, but for now it will have to wait.