Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Characters

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Costin polycounter lvl 12
Hey everybody, here I want to share some of my latest characters.
This one I made for Marvelous Designer studies.

Pf_01.jpg

Pf_02.jpg

Pf_03.jpg

Replies

• Drumlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job, dude! Loved that teddy bear, haha
    Where did you learn Marvelous? I'm very interested in adding it to my skillset, but it's pretty non-intuitive, to me.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice costin!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crease in her shirt beneath her breasts seems far too sharp; unless she deliberately tucked the shirt up there, I'd expect the cloth to move smoothly from her breasts to the belt.
  • Astro_Jesus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is such a inspiring design. The detail is nice and not overwhelming. The character definitely has a few stories to tell. I agree with the comment about the shirt being too tight under the breasts, it looks unnatural and a bit distracting.

Is she a tracker? Looks like she could be using the bear as a clue in finding someone. Or does it represent the personal loss of a child? Interesting character.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks folks for critique and kind words!

Drumlord - MD is pretty simple program, so first of all I used some videos on youtube, second my curiosity of trying all the buttons and sliders)) and a colleague of mine was helping me, since she has mastered this program better then me :)
    Agree that its not user friendly, but you should go ahead and try!

DWalker - thank you!! yeah, good one with the shirt! Actually I was struggling with this shirt for a while, tried different variants with more loose cloth, but eventually I found some references of a tight shirt and I liked it, and to fit the reference I had to pull the cloth under the breast area, but maybe I did too much:) and there were some nipples going trough the cloth at the beginning, but then I decided wipe them away, sorry))) And more to that, there should be a net covering the shirt and going under the belt, but overall it was looking too noisy so I declined that idea.

Astro_Jesus - thanks! actually you are right, I want to make a design with a story for this character. She is a pathfinder/tracker. This teddy bear detail I added for my ex-girlfriend)) and its some kind of sign or reminder, that shows her a job, a child that she was trying to find, that she couldnt accomplish in the past, that motivates her for every new job to never fail again!
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is one more character of mine that I did just for practice. It was sleeping on my hard drive I think for a year, and when I remembered about this guy, I thought I should post it cause it should look awesome, but when I opened a zbrush file I realized that a lot of stuff should be reworked))) And this is the result

taliban_warrior_01.jpg

taliban_warrior_02.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Super inspiring. I have to agree with the shirt being held underneath her breasts looking off. That looks uncomfortable! Other than that this is amazing. It really make me want to move beyond the pillow I made in MD. haha
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    These are great! Super nice work. Especially love the first one. I have been itching to try out Marvelous Designer as well... Now I just want to more! :D
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    really like how that second guy looks.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work. I saw MD can sim obj files now. Are those results similar to the traditional MD workflow?
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks folks!! I am glad that my works are inspiring and helps to work more on your own stuf ^^

What I made with MD its a pretty basic stuff, this software can provide some pretty awesome results, so dont hesitate to experiment

LRoy - didnt get the question, sorry) what do you mean by traditional MD workflow?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I mean importing an obj vs manually creating the patterns and seams.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, really? I need to check that stuff, should be pretty useful!!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice sculpts man. First girl is spot on. Second guy looks great but his pose is awkward to me. Great sculpt though!
  • Antone_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antone_m polycounter lvl 9
    I really like that Girl !! Good job man ! :D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    MD is ok and I would be willing to give it another try, I just feel you have more control over your folds when sculpting them rather than letting the software sort it. That said, the fact you can import OBJs now to simulate is pretty cool.

Anyway, the work you have here is great :D If I had to crit anything, the only issue I could see is the back of the jeans where the the left leg meets the boot has some weird folding but apart from that, awesome!
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch - agree that when you are sculpting the cloth you have more control on it, and for this girl I wanted to compromise between MD and Zbrush. And I need to try that obj simulating, sounds pretty awesome to me, cause some times its pretty annoying when I am struggling to much the patterns))
    Thanks for feedback ;)

Hermit - thanks dude!

Antone_m - ^^

slosh - thanks! agree that I could work more on that pose))
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ESFGames - thanks, I hope you meant that in good))) haha
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Nice work. Can Marvelous Designer export quads now? Searched a bit but it seems like it still exports tris only.
    Drumlord wrote: »
    Great job, dude! Loved that teddy bear, haha
    Where did you learn Marvelous? I'm very interested in adding it to my skillset, but it's pretty non-intuitive, to me.

Some user on the Marvelous Designer forums suggested this site - http://www.wtv3d.org/f5-marvelous-designer-tutorials - for learning MD (you don't need to register there, it's just links to vimeo, youtube etc.).
  • Tw17ch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tw17ch polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice work man, very inspiring, what do you render them in, in zbrush or vray?
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander - thanks dude! actually there is no need for MD to exort the quds since Zbrush has Zremesher button;) all the cloth generated from MD for this model I Zremeshed, Zprojected and added some thickness in Zbrush. So cloth has subdivisions.

My colleague shared this link with me, but I was too lazy so far to check them))) maybe because I dont use MD to often at the moment. And I am still excited about that OBJ simulation magic but didnt try yet...

Tw17ch - thanks ^^ girl was rendered in Keyshot and the guy in zbrush :)

ESFGames - thanx :) Yeah, I am in the game industry for 7 years already, and still didnt get bored)))
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Costin, already asked in Tech chat but thought I would ask you too - did you happen to find any info about the OBJ to garment function?
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ESFGames - I am freelance character artist at the moment, working on secret next gen title :)

Torch - no, for the first I heard about it from you I think. And still didnt check it yet))) at the moment I am concentrated on some stuff not related with MD and cloth
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!
    here I want to share another character of mine. This is one of my personal characters, done just for fun and practice in spare time. Low poly mesh has around 7k tris and a 2k texture. In game mesh rendered in marmoset, hi poly in Keyshot.

military_girl_textured_final.jpg

military_girl_textured.jpg

military_girl_low.jpg

military_girl_hi_01.jpg

military_girl_hi_02.jpg
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love the first two, but this one is disappointing... unless perhaps it's a satirical comment on the state of gender representation in games?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Always nice to see a well modelled pair of boots...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    These are really fantastic!

Bill: he made it pretty clear that it's a personal character that he did in his spare time. It's silly to judge someone for doing exactly the art they want to in their spare time.
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    Costin wrote: »
    Skamander - thanks dude! actually there is no need for MD to exort the quds since Zbrush has Zremesher button;) all the cloth generated from MD for this model I Zremeshed, Zprojected and added some thickness in Zbrush. So cloth has subdivisions.
    Do you know of a way to convert original MD UV's to the new quad mesh?
  • taglol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    Bill Lowe wrote: »
    Really love the first two, but this one is disappointing... unless perhaps it's a satirical comment on the state of gender representation in games?

lol

OnTopic:

Really nice looking characters! MD workflow looks like fun!
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Bill Lowe wrote: »

Typicaly the kind of comment that infuriate me. -_-'

Anyway, very good use of texture space and polygons. The final result looks really good for 7k tris and only a 2k texture. Keep posting your work here, I like it a lot! =)
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Popol wrote: »
    Typicaly the kind of comment that infuriate me. -_-'

i dont understand this mentality
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    C'mon folks. Good art is still good art, even if the subject is revealing a tad too much.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Popol wrote: »
    Anyway, very good use of texture space and polygons. The final result looks really good for 7k tris and only a 2k texture.

I agree. Would have guessed a much higher polycount and texture size. Awesome work!
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everybody for kind words, support and critique!

yeah, maybe they are too big and emphasized, but I couldn't resist, man is weak))))

Torch - thanks dude, you know what I mean :thumbup:

Skinpop - yeah, if I understand correctly your question, its Zremesher in ZBrush that can make it in a minute.
  • thakoor64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work keep it up
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks dude ^^
  • OlivierC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierC polycounter lvl 6
    The first two are indeed amazing, very nice work on those clothes. Not a big fan of the last one for the same reasons that have already been stated. Don't get me wrong, I like boobies like every man, but yeah, this outfit does not really make sense
  • mavhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mavhn polycounter lvl 11
    Great work man! great sculpting and very nice design on the first one. I love the gear on the belt and the boots are rad!
    Sorry dude have to agree with Bill on the 3rd, the chest and the heels seem a bit too much, they take away from the design imo. I love the face and the hoodie and the diagonal packs on the belt at the back are cool.
    keep it up!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Super awesome!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I agree with everyone else, great stuff! I even like most of the third character, nothing wrong with doing a little sex apeal on a personal piece. but her boobs are way to big, it looks unatural.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    The second character is awesome ! Love your work.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Man, I don't even care about the boobs, make 'em as big as you want. Hell, even make your characters as sexy as you want; but it'd be nice if you could design a fitting outfit. That last girl would be a heckuva lot more fun as a one off character/piece if she was just straight up a pinup girl; go crazy with the pose, have her getting ready for a convention or picking up her knife or something.

Because I don't mind at all having sexy girl characters; I don't think anyone does.
    Personally, what bothers me is that I cannot find that piece sexy, since I'm too busy thinking about how damn impractical the outfit is and how she'd be very dead very quickly (her cleavage looks like it'd make a GREAT target).

tl;dr: Push your poses more, tell me a story with them. Push your concepts more. Your characters are damn fine, but they could stand to have a little more personality.

2 cents aside, looking forward to seeing more!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Dude!! Really awesome work! Thanks for sharing
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Neat stuff! The last one looks very well made. Congrats, great job!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    These characters look absolutely super!
    Trying out MD5 and having a bit of trouble with getting contact points on my imported decimated ZB figure. Any tips about how you did that would be great. Vimeo has a vid but they use WrapX to fit the avatar mesh over the custom one.

Real nice stuff.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys, its been a whilr, but apreciate for good words and critique!!!

as for design for last 2 characters, there was a concept sheet I had to stick with, so did my best :) 
    concept for the chic was mostly influenced by marketing purposes, to attract more gigs. You know, hot girl, military style, big boobs, its