Home Technical Talk

Gulp... Mirrored Normal Seam

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Yes... It has finally happened to me >_<" And I believe I could totally use some help here.

Most noticeably on her helmet.

I already tried UV Offset the mirrored half to -1 unit. Doesn't fix it.
However, I notice that the face doesn't have the same issue, even though I used the same method. (except a small of between her lips and nose that the seam is visible). The only thing I recall was that I was playing around with the headgear's AO and Spec maps. Could those affect the seams ?

There seem to be ways to fix it after it's baked, but I would love to learn how to bake without causing the seam problem in the first place.

XlqbWjQ.jpg

Replies

• fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    How are you baking this?

If you are simply deleting half of the mesh > bake > apply symmetry, than the vertex normals are probably not aligned the same as when you had half of the mesh. Check Attachment.

What you could do to minimize the effect is to delete, not the exact half, but grow the selection an additional polystrip. Or simply bake with a symmetrical model.
    But if you are offsetting the mirrored UV's and have a symmetrical model, this issue should not be happening.

Whatever the case, the culprit seems to be broken/hard edges/vertex normals.