Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters- Father, Daughter, Robot

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
Here's the finished product. So much that needs fixing but the hand in is today :/

Thanks for everyone's help, you're the best! I've learnt so much through this and can't wait to apply it all to my next characters. I'll stay posted :)

Also sorry for all the pics

3Aq57pq.jpg

Lxhpuhu.jpg

YVNWE2c.jpg

jGn7UDB.jpg

B4JQP0F.jpg

ORp90f6.jpg

A3cUozT.jpg

Decided to create a new thread, the last one was organised awfully. Going to update this one more often and keep it cleaner.

Nearly finished with the high polys. Got the heads to do and some touch ups/alterations to adjust. Just want some ffedback on the progress so far, the girls proportions look quite off, especially around the legs and waiste area.

Father

d7qQiEz.jpg
Not 100% happy with the cloth folds but I am running out of time (university project)
To do list:
Head; Arms; Touch up jeans and shirt

Daughter- Age 9

ibYR2Ah.jpg
To do list:
Hands; Head; Touch up legs and proportions

Robot- Girls Companion

vpw7VIi.jpg
To do list:
Arms; More detail in TV head; Balloons

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow the daughter looks just like her father!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. Yehh the head's not done. But at least you can tell they're related eh?.
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    Both of the characters are looking great, and the cloth sculpting is really good.

I can just imagine, as the father is looking up at his daughter for the final time after receiving a mortal wound, he looks lovingly into his daughters eyes and as he takes his final breath he says, "you have your mothers jawline.....ble"
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

"you have your mothers jawline.....ble"

Lmao
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and the cloth sculpting is really good.

Really!? Think the back of the jeans need work, they look strange to me, aswell as the back of the girls shirt
    I can just imagine, as the father is looking up at his daughter for the final time after receiving a mortal wound, he looks lovingly into his daughters eyes and as he takes his final breath he says, "you have your mothers jawline.....ble"

Haha! That's ace!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Daughter Character.

Changed the proportions (she was pretty 'podgey' looking before hand)

Legs still need some work, they look stretched at the moment.

Kinda subtle changes but i think they help to show she's quite young and I think some changes to the shorts will help, they look quite flat from the front plane.

iL0nW0t.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Not loads of progress, made some changes to her proportions and started working on her head. Hopefully she's not the complete spits of her father now. Trying to make her look young, struggling abit though, her face looks pretty weird to me

0j2Psas.jpg

i4gFFl0.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    In specifically looking at the face I would say that you need to soften the features a lot. The sharp cheek bones and chin makes her look masculine and older. The ears could use work too since they are flat and there is a crater around the whole thing. You could maybe try working from image planes to get a better idea of the face shape. Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the girls face. Happy with how its coming along, eyes still seem abit off though. Any crits?

c1Cpohc.jpg
  • Tw17ch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tw17ch polycounter lvl 10
    Face is getting a lot better, and I agree eyes aren't quite there yet but they are close. I see you changed the hands a feet too, size wise. The hands look like the right scale but I feel the feet are too small for the kids body type. I think the way you hand them before looked better. :)
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    eboQspg.jpg

Did a paint over that I think might help your face and proportions.

9 is kind of a weird age and some kids look older than others but generally at that age they still have the childish roundness to their face, it's not until their teens do they start getting a bit more structure to the face. The chin you have is too wide and also too low, adding age to the face. Ears are a little too big, nose is perhaps a little to long, the eyebrow ridges could be softened up a bit and you're missing the flesh that is on the side of the lower lip making it look rather odd. The neck could also be thinner, right now she has an adult neck, this also makes her head look smaller and not kid sized.

For the body, the torso is definitely too long, and overalls tend to be really baggy and shapeless, especially around the midsection of the torso. If you shorten up her torso everything else will look pretty much in proportion, just some minor tweaks here and there like shrinking the shoulders and refining the legs should be all you need.

Other than that you have some nice details in your sculpt, keep working on it! I hope this helps!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alemja, tried to incorporate what you said. Don't want to make the clothes to baggy though, the main adjustments have been to the head, your paint over helped loads!

Here is the latest update, still need to make some alterations to the head i think, quite happy with everything else (apart from the hands)

Any crits?

S0dgEqw.jpg

FXmtE1H.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting the low poly for the girl, here's her head up to now? Any crits? Quite new to this so I'm not sure how it's looking

eFGqaoy.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No feedback on the head? Not to great with topology so any comments will help. Heres the sleeve, just zremeshed it as i dont have much time for this project, does it seem okay? Might do some clean up in 3ds max, as well as remove any unnecessary edge loops

aru1GQZ.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the father

Working on the head, still got abit to go yet i think, not looking to great at the moment. Was trying to go for michael fassbender but i think thats abit of an insult to him haha.

Any crits? Please!? :D

rJlpb10.jpg
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    The girl's legs look a little womanly/adolescent to me (even in the paint-over). She is showing some signs of puberty which is possible at 9, but doesn't read as a 9 year old.

Some non-creepy reference of little girl legs (age comparison and all)
    http://www.sears.ca/product/nevada-md-girls-short/677-000958488-GS13-NV05-2410

Granted,these are particularly lanky girls.

This girl looks to be in middle-school by her uniform or otherwise pretending to be, but if you note the lack of definition on her knees it really reads as youthful

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/032/e/c/japanese_schoolgirl_8_by_nicojay-d4ob8tx.jpg

Versus what an adult woman's knees look like:
    http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/article-1278583130729-0a5cfb15000005dc-605719_465x861.jpg

Dats just me doh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know what you mean. I'll change the legs a bit, should only be a quick fix, and thanks for the references btw, theyre a big help. Any thoughts on the fathers head? I'm struggling :/
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. Running out of time for these characters so i need the high polys done soon.

Please critique :)

nYYJOeH.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Here's the crit for the fathers head that you asked me for:

The biggest problem with his face is that the underlying structure is not well defined and it's a mistake a lot of people make. You have lips, nose, eyes and the shape of the face but are missing other major planes of the face like the cheekbones.

This is a very good, commonly used reference to help with the planes of the face:
    cTZfL.jpg
    More images on this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76733

With these in mind I drew some lines on the areas that you need to pay attention to, and did a paint over as well.

Wg9hRQH.jpg

There are also a couple of proportional issues you need to pay attention to. The bottom of the ear lines up with about the tip of the nose, the top of the ear lines up with about the eyebrows. The inner corners of the eyes line up with the sides of the nostrils. Both of your characters also have eyes that need to be fixed, they both look like they are looking down and seem a little bug eyed.

I'm not sure if you have made any updates to his body or not, but he is also has a torso that is too long.

I hope all of this helps!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet another update on the head

Thanks for the help again Alemja, you're the best!

Tried to sort out the planes of the face, feel like its definitely an improvement. Any crits?

Still got to add some detail like stubble, wrinkles and pores etc.

X8c5UOq.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely getting closer. His forehead is still very flat. Compare what you've got there to the Asaro head that Alemja posted. There's a side and 45 degree angle shot in the link there too which'll help get the shape down.

Could you post a profile shot of your guy? It'd make it easier to crit.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully getting there, not sure if I'm making it worse or not

jRCqWUO.jpg

Need to get a move on, hopefully get some crit and make some adjustments then I can get on with he detail.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more detail, eye borws, stubble pores. Also kept on working the proportions, hope I've not made it worse :/

labDlZD.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think this is probably the final update on the Fathers head I think, unless I get some feedback on things that need changing.

8vnrH7Y.jpg

yuf6bK6.jpg

There's a shot of the body also, think this is done too unless there's any crits?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good updates man! Just some issues with the face, I believe the ear should be the length of the brow to the base of the nose, right now I think your lobes are a bit lower than the base of the nose. The eyes aren't looking correct, the medial canthus should be lower than the lateral.

AJeyecopy.jpg

(I know this is a woman's eye, but still... :D)

The lips need more study as right now you're getting what I like to call 'duck lips' or a kind of pouting, look at how they curve out from the head, try to view several references from different angles so you're getting the planes of the face right. The arms could use work, the hands are particularly flat. Apart from that is coming along, good stuff :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback Torch :)
    Took into consideration and changed what you said, hopefully he's looking abit better now.
    I think maybe his jaws a little wide?

Any critiques??

pv7PWi0.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey again, the features mentioned previously are better but the face is too long. Here's a crit I gave another artist on the forums a while back, might help with the facial proportions a bit better :)

lZErAnS.jpg

The head can typically be divided into 3 parts, the top, brow ridge and chin. The length from the brow ridge to the chin can then be divided in half, as a landmark for the base of the nose.

Finally, the lower half of the head (the area between the base of the nose and chin) can then be further divided evenly, starting from the base of the nose, then the lips, the orbicularis oris and finally base of the chin, as shown in the diagram. Hope that makes sense, can sound kinda convoluted just via text :D
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Torch, tried to incorporate what you said, here's a shot with a comparison. the far left one is the old version and the middle is the new one adjusted the proportions to what you said.

Feel like it doesn't look as good for some reason, any thoughts?

PGY4ETa.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'd say bulk out the jaw a little, he's looking a bit skinny. Eye shape still needs work I think. Getting there!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    You are seriously lacking in form. The cheeks, brow, chin, and lips are all lacking volume. The brow should actually have skin that folds over the eye which is what causes the crease. The nasolabial fold should be deeper and build up more volume. The cheekbones should just out more and be more bulbous. The nostrils are too thin at the edges. Your lips have no volume at at all they look like they are flattened up against glass. The face is still too long and the forehead is way too big. The jaw should be wider. Your ears should rotate out a lot more ( no one has ears that are flattened to the side of their head). I did a rough paintover to show you ( he looks a bit older than you may want in the paintover). Also I will post some links that will help out. I recommend taking a look at Joel from the last of us. Hope this helps.

SZ2xn0w.gif

Ref:

thelastofus3.jpg

stock-footage-close-up-of-middle-aged-man-s-face.jpg

nose-6643d156cca12755cd35b21da774a66f97a67891-s6-c30.jpg

men-lips-care.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks stevston89. That's a massive help. Thanks for being so critical, it makes you realise the errors I didn't even notice before. I've hopefully fixed the issues you mentioned, still strugling with the lips but I'll keep going.

Anyway, hope this is improvement. Let me know what you guys think :)

CTY5Wsa.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urgghhh. Yep, another update on the head. The last one looked depressed, hopefully this ones nearly there? Just still struggling with the lips :/

Any opinions??

PQ7KccX.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really need feedback. Have to start the low polys soon. Any crits?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    face is still long, shorten it. bring the top of the head down, and jaw slightly up. cool UI colors.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks, downloaded it somewhere of here I think but tweaked it :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's really not too bad as it is at the moment.

I don't think it's all that much too long. I think it needs to be a smidgen broader towards the back. I'd try masking the sectioning running from the outer corner of the eye down to the back of the jaw including the ear and rotating it outwards just a little. You don't need the crazy lantern jaw that Stevston89 drew, it just needs a little more width there.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yehh I agree. I'll make the changes soon. The lips look pretty weird to me though. I can't get them to look right
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the changes some of you guys suggested, thanks for all the help so far. here's the latest version. Hopefully ready to start the low poly.

What do you guys think?

Srt7RXl.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Im sorry, but the face is still much too long. I would shrink down the forehead and widen the face overall. The eyes are too big. The nose isn't shaped right. The ears need to rotate out. The neck is a tad too thick. The lips still need work. They look like they are puckered. I would work on the lips from the side more and make sure they are shaped correctly. Anyways here is a loomis drawing of average/ ideal head proportions. The volume is a lot better though. Also I would start putting up side views as well. There may be thing in the side view that are very off and contribute to some of the weirdness of the front view.
    male-head-propotions.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a shot of the side view for you, thanks again for the feedback, I'll work on the issues now and post another shot soon.

This side view will probably have a lot of problems with it

pSeTfnF.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Hopefully this is better

Please Critique :)

UKGaSyK.jpg?1
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Your really need to drop you subdivison level and work on your face structure. Especially from profile view. The way your eye/ brow area is structured is wrong, so is the nose and mouth. Also your head is far too large from side view. I really recommend getting the structure correct and in place before even thinking about the details. Use lots of reference. Look up up lots of anatomy ( skull and muscles). I did another quick paint over to help. Also your ears are still to flat.

Here is the paintover:

YeN1Gkq.jpg

Here is some more ref:

d3PSN47.jpg

man-in-profile-001.jpg

otoplasty-before-back-left-3.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also thanks again stevston89, didn't want to change the ears any more, they're already pretty far out as it is and any more just looks silly

Going to have to call this guy's head done soon, really need to move on. Any more opinions? Hopefully there's not much more to fix

DeSQEKb.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here;s another update. Think I'm calling his head done now unless there's any other things that need changing?

7Png3Cp.jpg

Also here's a shot of the low poly body baked, had to move on fast as I'm running out of time

XxZiEiJ.png
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I think you've come a long way, but some relatively small changes in proportion and structure could make a lot of difference in the father's face IMHO. Here's a small paintover that I made, for what it's worth:

JordanLeighPaintover2.gif
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Solid crit Zwebbie, very good clean up on the eyes/lips. Do this ^^ :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Zwebbie! That's helped loads, tried to incorporate what you said, Hopefully it looks okay

U1sQsox.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also coldn't resist showing this. its a before and after from where i started with the guys head.

Owe so much to you guys on here, thanks for all the feedback and help. You've helped me loads. Now to tackle the low poly!

CR8CoP1.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Smacked it, great job man :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers mate, and thanks for all your help. I'll keep posting, on to the Low poly I think now, Then texturing!! :D