Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

METRIC MEDITAION TEXTURE BOOTCAMP VIDEO

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
HEY FOLKS!
It is finally up and running! A lot of folks out there have been asking me to compile a long tutorial on some basics on how to make stylized textures. Granted, this video is not for everyone. Some of you already have a lot of experience making stylized textures. But for those who feel they are struggling with their skills, then maybe this will help.

The video is about 2.5 hours... maybe a little longer. It is relatively inexpensive.

the video covers:
-hand painted stone, wood and metal
-usage of values, shadows and highlights
-modular construction and usage of layers

It is a lot to cram in 2.5 hours... so get your notebook ready and a pot of coffee.

More videos are to follow in the near future, like modular construction for environments, prop sets, advanced texture shaders, and much more... but for now... enjoy

click on the image below

13399_275.jpg

Replies

• Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    This guy is an amazing instructor and I'm sure many of you would improve your texturing overall by learning from him. He taught me on site for a class, I knew nothing about painting, and only purchased a tablet a month prior. Here's the improvement he helped me attain over a year's time learning his techniques and applying it to my own style:
    OYTPJn6.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It kinda sucks that I can't go back and view this after the month rental. Any chance you will put it on a service that allows you to purchase it? I would really like to watch this but I don't want to only be able to have it for 30 days.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I am thinking about having a download. I do worry about people taking my hard work and spreading it on bit torrent or passing around copies and selling them. I figure if folks and students are really serious about learning, then a month would be more than enough time to watch, take notes and learn these techniques.

Perhaps I can extend the amount of time, but for now, I think the amount of information I am teaching in such a short video for that price is very fair.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7!!!

Great work... All of your hard work is paying off. When are you sending your work in to Blizzard?
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I dropped the price a bit and added a download option for a price that is a bit higher. will see how this pans out.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Great! Will definitely be purchasing soon. I think prices work much better.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Wow i've been waiting for this ill be getting this by the end of the day

Thanks for the tutorials
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vimeo and paypal take out a heafty chunk from the price. I maybe collect about half of what you pay for... :( but still... if it helps you folks then it is worth it.

Just make sure to pass it on to other people! maybe you know someone who would be interested in learning!
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Will be sure to rent it out in the next couple of days!
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I've been plugging you to the guys in class, they are all stoked.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much gratitude to you all :)
  • Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just purchased, downloading. I'm so darn eager to watch and learn! Thank you so much for making this video Jamin.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know of any changes that I can make. Even though I am an old fart, I always want to improve how I present my work.

The next tutorial I am going to make will be how to construct a medium poly tree as a game asset in a quick and modular way. This will be done by scratch.
  • Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll post a review on the tutorial, on vimeo when I'm done watching it. The idea for the next tutorial sounds good to me.
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    I am so stoked for this! Totally buying this! Thank you!
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    quite interested in this. also texturing is spelt wrong on the video
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh... fixed :) thanks
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Ive been working on a scene and i tried to make my tile texture with this approach would love to hear some feedback, this is my first real attempt at hand painting. The texture is not done still need some variation and i still need to add some different color to it, but i just wanted to see if im going in the right direction

TUm3eFk.jpg
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what I see is really good work. you have a nice variation of color without having the Hue and saturation over blown. In other words you are staying true to the base stone material. Your sense of depth is good (you can always push that further by adjusting your values).

certainly, this texture is made to be tiled horizontally. it is also set up in a way that allows you to use portions... or part of the trip work to make borders around various other shapes... good work

I am only judging by this flat image. If you are willing to share the photoshop file I would be more than willing to critique it further.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the quick reply. This texture is a trim texture I left the top blank because I'm not sure what else I'm going to add to it yet. I would like to show the my Photoshop file what the best way I can do that?
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just send me a message through my facebook page
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to thank everyone who purchased the stylized texture boot camp!!

19 of you have made the purchase... and I certainly hope it will level up your skills.

if you are kind enough. leave a review at the video's home page

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/texturebootcamp

thanks again!!
    Metric
  • PandaBear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bought it. Can't wait to watch it. Thank you sir.
  • Twotents
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twotents polycounter lvl 4
    Bought the tutorial too, and have watched his free lectures on youtube almost religiously.
  • Kusken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kusken polycounter lvl 3
    Watched all videos with you in them on YouTube, you seem like a really cool dude with a lot of talent!
    Definitely buying the video as soon as I get some money :)
  • Kusken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kusken polycounter lvl 3
    Couldn't wait!
    Just bought the video, so excited! :)
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far the feedback has been fantastic. some folks have been leaving reviews on the vimeo page. Thank you one and all for helping me make this happen!!

Pavel Denisjuk

Hello Jamin, this was a great introduction to texturing. There really isn't much you could add to this, the process is explained nicely, the textures are great (especially wood) and it was very useful to see how you work with variations on top of base texture and organize project in general. I learned tons out of this. Looking forward for your upcoming releases and thank you so much for making these!

ryan ribot

Jamin has been a critical part of my learning experience in and out of classes. I love his teaching style and the way he presents the work. This video is excellent as an introduction to working on stylized textures in a organized and thoughtful workflow. The textures he shows us how to make in this video are great and I can't wait to see future videos!

Samuel Staffansson

As said above Jamin has played a key roll in my texturing progress. After watching a video from his texturing workshop I immediately started searching the web for more. I found this video and decided beforehand that it was worth the money and bought it, and now after I've watched it? I can tell you it was more than worth it, from all the techniques to the workflow and tips about how to organize your projects. This video really gave me a great head start and now I feel comfortable jumping into this stylized texturing world because I've learned from a professional. Hoping to see more tutorials from you Jamin!

Emilio d'Errico

Outstanding work Jamin! I find this intro to texturing video extremely useful and worth every penny and more. Great presentation and final results: the whole process is broken down to such simple steps that will be hard to forget, making textures painting from scratch a pleasure even on tight deadlines. Tips and tricks are also absolutely invaluable. I am looking forward to start and I highly recommend it!
  • Kusken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kusken polycounter lvl 3
    My first test from the bootcamp!
    A stone texture with some variations and one wood.
    Still got a long way to go but I thought I would post it anyway, crits would be extremely appreciated!
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from what I see so far, you are getting the hang of creating the illusion of depth by adjusting your values. this is a good start. your wood is starting out fairly well. the stone though.. the base texture is rather flat. I can see you are using the cloud filter, but I dont see anything beyond that with the base texture.

allow yourself to go into the various details of light and dark values presented by the clouds filters and use those that as a guide to paint in edges, cracks and "uneven" surfaces.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Just rented this video, looking forward to learning more about hand-painted textures :)
    Keep on going!
  • Kusken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kusken polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for the quick response!
    I will keep at it, at this point I'm a bit "afraid" of over doing the values. Practice makes perfect I guess.
    Also, thank you again for doing this for the community. Much appreciated :)
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont be afraid to over-do the values. the reason why the values are set on separate layers is so that you can increase or decrease the opacity so that it feels appropriate :)
  • esPhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    esPhys polycounter lvl 7
    Do you plan on making more videos like this, showing some of the more advanced techniques you use? I mean, I still haven't gotten through this one, but I'm a sucker for uncut, long format video tutorials.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I plan to do the following within the next 6 months:
    -stylized hand painted texturing techniques part 2
    -advanced texturing techniques
    -modular tree and foliage construction
    -modular architecture construction
  • semiprowolverine
    Awesome Thanks a Lot.
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    Yep, I plan to do the following within the next 6 months:
    -stylized hand painted texturing techniques part 2
    -advanced texturing techniques
    -modular tree and foliage construction
    -modular architecture construction

Please, please do more... :)
    I'll be buying(not renting!) the video tonight, and the rest when they're done!

This kind of stuff is bringing me back into game dev, after doing so much realistic stuff for so long... I get sick of GoW art dumps after the first image, but this stuff I can look at allll day!

YOU ROCK!
    Big props to you, & thanks-
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the kind words. Life has been really hectic recently, but I will be doing more vids soon. Current work load is teaching 6 classes... meetings with Riot games this week and getting students set up with micro interviews.

I know I am way behind schedule, but I will get things back into high gear soon.

--Metric
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I haven't bought the Bootcamp vid yet but I have watched your YouTube videos more times than I can count. Every time I start a new hand painted texture practice, I usually watch one a bit to freshen up on some techniques. I have plugged you every time someone is have texturing difficulties and want to get better. Will hopefully be purchasing the first video soon. Keep up the great work!!!