Home General Discussion

PC build for 3D help

Give me the best PC build for 3D. I want to use for Modeling, render, using Zbrush full capacity. UDK or CryEngine.

Budget 4000 Euro.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You would be better off spending €1300 every 2 years for 6 years than spending 4000 at once. It's over kill, and a 1300 computer built a year from now will be better than a 4000 built today.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe there should be a summer/winter "201X : What kind of PC should I build" sticky? How many of these threads pop up in a month?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    last years most expensive i7(which is sthil the current most powerful i7 ) is still the moost expensive i7, and its predecessor is the second most expensive i7 and is alsmost as powerful
  • dystopianghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    Boban wrote: »
    Give me the best PC build for 3D. I want to use for Modeling, render, using Zbrush full capacity. UDK or CryEngine.

Budget 4000 Euro.

If you have that kind of money to spend here is a few things just to make sure you have. But just remember you can get performance for cheaper but if you want to spend that then I hope this helps.

Cpu: I would say at least a 4770k if not the 4930k the 4930 is a great cpu and your system won't feel anything you throw at it. Also if you are going to render alot I would say the 4930k is best also might wanna look into liquid cooling maybe the h100i

Ram: Be sure you have at least 16gb but for the money you are looking to spend I would go 32gb

GPU: If you are going to be using it for all work and no play I would say a workstation class gpu like a quardo or somthing like that , but if you are going to be gaming on it to I would say the gtx 780 ti

Hdd: Just make sure you have plenty of space for your programs and files I would say 2tb to start with and once again if you have the money I would throw an ssd in to help with boot and wait times

Hope that helps and have fun with that build if you have any questions just pm me or somthing I will be glad to help.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Lamont wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a summer/winter "201X : What kind of PC should I build" sticky? How many of these threads pop up in a month?

Yes.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So, my pc is a year old now, and i would say that if you can get all the same components, then do it. it'll still be a monster in two years time.

i'm running:
    i7 3930k @ stock clocks (3.6ghz)
    32GB ram @ 1366mhz (this is important, all cpu's are designed to work at this frequency, if you buy "faster" ram, you're actually buying ram that the manufacturer has tested at a higher frequency, ie. overclocked. also, you won't notice the difference by going faster.)
    gtx670 2gb (you could probably buy a better card now, to be fair although that one is no slouch, it's now in my kids computer).
    SSD <<< this will be the most noticeable component/upgrade.

but yeah, there's nothing that even touches my CPU for performance and i doubt there will be for a while.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    How about having a thread where everyone discusses (fights) about specs and publish a quarterly system build ala the Ars Technica system guide?
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Like others have said, I would build a pc that costs only 1300-1500 bucks and upgrade/build a new one in 2-3 years. This way you get a lot more bang for the buck. But if you really want to spend your $4000 at once you could go with something like the following:
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3400 Mhz) - 2200
    CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 - 85
    MoBO: ASUS P9X79 LE (Socket 2011) - 230
    RAM: 32 Gbyte Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile (4x8 Gbyte) - 370
    GPU: Msi GTX 780 Gaming - 490
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro (256 GByte) - 215
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda (2 TByte, 7200 U/min) - 88
    Case: Fractal Design R4 (2x140mm fans included) - 100
    Third case cooler: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 (140mm) - 15
    DVD Burner: LG GH24 - 21
    PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W (80+ Gold, Multirail) - 180
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~3994

You could later add additional 32 GByte for a total of 64 GByte in Quad Channel mode. This build is not serious of course. I wouldn't pay $2200 for the cpu only (you pay basically $1650 for two extra cores over the 4930k 8) ).
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just going to tag on here because I am looking to get myself a new rig since my computer is starting to get a bit outdated (though it was top of the line when I got it 5years ago)
    Should I look into purchasing a pretty built PC , using cyberpower or another website to customize one for me, or buy all the components and put together my own PC ( I have no experience in building other than popping ram in)
    My only fear of building my own is screwing up and ending up costing more money than I save.
    Opinions? Recommendations
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Woah. Could've sworn I posted this thread yesterday.

Thanks dustin, I'm one of the noob's that hadn't checked out the wiki. Your right, it's all on here :)