Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

38 Revolver

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
I will add one more gun to polycount!
It's 5086 triangles, and I used Maya, xNormal and PS (with nDo and a dash of dDo).
I JUST five minutes ago read the marmoset article on the differences between PBR and the old style, and I totally was not understanding how to utilize it and make the most of TB2 while making this. I kept seeing people say stuff like "I'm making this with PBR in mind" and thinking "what do they mean exactly?" Now I know!
I still think the gun came out great, and I'm excited to make something new that DOES take advantage of the PBR system!

Pq7xQrF.jpg

IYUNPI1.jpg

HzwpjX3.jpg

WC6Oz7t.jpg

xEbHxXs.jpg

ALRSgay.jpg

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    that is awesome. great job overall.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    So detailed! So beauty! Wow
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Love the model, details, bake, renders, just about everything. One thing though, it feels like a very slight bump up in specular/gloss would really polish this thing off (no pun intended). Just every so slight. You have a really nice textured metal feel, but its just a tad dull, though it might have to do with softer lighting in the scene as well. I am not saying make it super shiny and generic, just a tad bit of polish work in the gloss/roughness map to bring it to life would complete this bad boy.

Nice work man, one of my favorite gun models to pop up on Polycount without a doubt.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you guys so much! It is really nice to hear that you like it :D

I DO agree that it could be a little glossier. I actually did edit the gloss map at one point to make it glossier, but I overdid it and made it TOO shiny and thought "meh, I'll stick with what I had."

But hearing that someone else thinks it is a little too dull confirms that I should polish it up a tad.

Thanks for the feedback! You all have warmed my heart :)
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice pistol! Would love to see how you managed the coated metal look.

On that note, there seems to be some slight normal map errors above the hammer and underneath the sight. Maybe harden some edges around there?