Home General Discussion

What do you lot think of Modo?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm a maya user. Love it to death, but I want to get decent with at least one other 3D app just to increase what I know. I tried Max, but didn't like it because navigation doesn't work well with my tablet, and I model and everything with the tablet.

So I tried Modo, and so far its really impressing me. I'm interested mainly in its modelling tools, which seem to be better and more extensive than Maya's from what I've seen.

Is Modo good to learn for game artists? Do many of you guys use it?

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't use it on a daily basis for animation, however, I have played around with the 701 release.
    The things I enjoyed about it were the way they handled how the animated pivot system works
    &
    passing off constraining objects from one parent to another.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

I've used Modo for every major project I've been on, both professional and personal. I love it to death. It's definitely not good for baking textures or doing much by way of animation (for which there are much better and more efficient programs out there anyway), but it's absolutely fantastic for modeling, UVs, and doing some nice renders.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used Modo for every major project I've been on, both professional and personal. I love it to death. It's definitely not good for baking textures or doing much by way of animation (for which there are much better and more efficient programs out there anyway), but it's absolutely fantastic for modeling, UVs, and doing some nice renders.

Yeah, I'm really not interested in animation. I just want to model, and I can bake textures in Maya or whatever.

Is Modo good for scene management? Most of the stuff I've seen that I could tell was made in Modo was mainly single props. I haven't really seen a full scene of an interior or something. I'm guessing all that stuff is just as doable?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Of course. You can group mesh layers easily. You can isolate your currently selected mesh with a keyboard shortcut.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Regarding the navigation, interestingly, I prefer to model with mouse+lots of hotkeys, and when I first started using Modo I didnt like the default mapping and changed to Maya style right away. However, when I used Modo with a tablet, the default mapping made total sense. I will try to use Modo with a tablet more from now on.

I think at very least is program to keep your eyes on. It's improving a lot recently and I think is growing in userbase. It still has shortcomings but has great strengths, especially regarding to modelling tools. The new MeshFusion plugin is a very eye-opener addition too.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Modo. I find myself using it on more and more pieces.

I wish it had better baking tools and smoothing managements - I generally finalize smoothing and do map baking in Max - but for raw modeling power, I don't think Modo can be beat.

And the new MeshFusion plugin is making wonderful things happen in my life:

Week5.jpg
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Hayden! I'm a Maya user, I was definitely considering Modo as an option - how did your modeling workflow change in Modo? How does it compare to the way you modeled in Maya? I'd love to hear your opinions on the nitty gritty.

I am growing more and more frustrated with new bugs popping up in the constant 'upgrades' Autodesk releases. So Modo is an appealing alternative just because it isn't Autodesk.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

if you are asking from the perspective of it's viability in the workplace - in all the studios i've been in modo had scarcely any presence and was only used by the odd person, mostly by people who were previously using lightwave and struggled with max/maya.
    the app is not very young anymore either so i think it's safe to say that it missed it's window for making a real dent in the market.

that's obviously not to say that it isn't a capable app. no more commonly encountered in my experience than softimage or cinema 4d however.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Since most of the civilized studios use FBX/DAE pipeline, I really don't see a reason why you just can't bring your own modo for modeling. It is not like you are doing some pipeline breaking things, when you model another trash bin (;.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Modo. I find myself using it on more and more pieces.

I wish it had better baking tools and smoothing managements - I generally finalize smoothing and do map baking in Max - but for raw modeling power, I don't think Modo can be beat.

And the new MeshFusion plugin is making wonderful things happen in my life:

Yeah, I'm only interested in the modelling. I'm happy to use Maya for everything else.

That pipe connector is the sort of reason I want to learn Modo. I probably just need more practice, but I feel like Maya just isn't cut out for alot of more complex high poly models. I think I could make that model you showed in Maya, but not without a lot of frustration.
    Hey Hayden! I'm a Maya user, I was definitely considering Modo as an option - how did your modeling workflow change in Modo? How does it compare to the way you modeled in Maya? I'd love to hear your opinions on the nitty gritty.
    I haven't really gotten used to it enough yet, but I'm definitely liking what I've used so far.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a question for people that use Modo at studios that don't have it as part of their normal software repertoire. Do you bring your own and provide proof of ownership to IT, does the studio buy you a license, or do you just install it without alerting anyone?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I've been using Maya exclusively for about five years now... never thought I'd want to switch to anything else. I started at id last year, and here we all use Modo. So I decided to "try" and make the switch. To my surprise, I made the switch just fine, and I'm really enjoying it!
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Modo initially was a dedicated modeling app. So I was interested in using it that way.
    So it was big surprise to me when I tried it and found out that it lacks a lot of modeling tools I've got used to, working with 3ds max and Maya. Or lets say absence of convenient out of box tools to control polygon smoothing, which is unthinkable for modeling application.

Nonetheless as a hard surface artist I'm highly intrigued with this Mesh fusion thing.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    iniside wrote: »
    Since most of the civilized studios use FBX/DAE pipeline, I really don't see a reason why you just can't bring your own modo for modeling. It is not like you are doing some pipeline breaking things, when you model another trash bin (;.

when working in any established organisation it's probably easier to persuade them to aquire a license or two than go down this route tbh. that kind of stuff usually gives IT the creeps.
    probably fine for a startup or a new business that hasn't been audited yet. :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Modo for pretty much everything I can. All of my personal work is done in it. Love it.

We're a 3DSMax studio here at work, but I've used Modo for bits and pieces here and there (any high poly modelling for one, some baking, retopo, UVing) and gone in/out via FBX without a hitch.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use my personal Modo license at work. Nobody has ever raised a concern.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, me too. It's possible to have it run straight from a USB stick, too. Saves you having to install anything.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    @Justin - I have a studio license at work. I think I was the first one as Warren and Jordan were both using personal licenses.

@Warren - Re:Smoothing - Have you used the Vertex Normal Kit? He updated it now and it's extremely fast and the easiest smoothing tool I've used in any modeling app. Only thing I need is better FBX export tools - pipelineio is pretty good but still has its hiccups.

@Hayden/Thread - I switched to Modo from Max around 6 months ago and love it. I work exclusively in it and have found it to be the best modeling and UV app out there.

The transition is definitely a lot harder than Maya to Max (which I did when I started at Epic) mainly because Modo handles a few things in a very different way (no history/modifier stack, falloffs, selections, action centers/pivots, items/layers, etc) and it's better to learn its ways (which are fantastic) than trying to conform it to previous workflows.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Warren - Re:Smoothing - Have you used the Vertex Normal Kit? He updated it now and it's extremely fast and the easiest smoothing tool I've used in any modeling app.
    Cheers :D
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    With mesh fusion, the clean UI I could quite seriously see modo as the future and leaving autodesk in the dust, right now some aspects are still playing catch up, but its getting there, i'd suggest picking up the basics now while you can.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul - Yep, I have that kit as well as a script that has a Max-like smoothing group interface. Between those two, I can get smoothing to work most of the time. I just wish they'd drop their stupid system and just start over. The material has a smoothing angle, smoothing group assignments are completely opaque, and exporting a smoothed mesh is still kind of hit or miss for me ... oh, and you have to use the 2006.11 exporter or it doesn't work at all.

Yet, I still love working in it. :P
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The transition is definitely a lot harder than Maya to Max (which I did when I started at Epic) mainly because Modo handles a few things in a very different way (no history/modifier stack, falloffs, selections, action centers/pivots, items/layers, etc) and it's better to learn its ways (which are fantastic) than trying to conform it to previous workflows.

This. Coming from Max and Maya, my transistion to Modo was hard. It's something that someone that learned modelling in Modo won't ever feel, but since its conventions are different from Autodesk, yeah...I also agree on learning Modo's way is better than conform. I'm really curious to see what updates are coming for Modo 801.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .I also agree on learning Modo's way is better than conform.
    Yes, totally. Don't try to bend Modo to work like Max or Maya. Just learn the Modo way. That's how it works best.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    I'm glad this thread exists. I've been looking to jump into Modo for the last month, and I think this just about seals the deal.

What I would give for a "Modo for Max/Maya" users" tutorial though...
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Paul - Yep, I have that kit as well as a script that has a Max-like smoothing group interface. Between those two, I can get smoothing to work most of the time. I just wish they'd drop their stupid system and just start over. The material has a smoothing angle, smoothing group assignments are completely opaque, and exporting a smoothed mesh is still kind of hit or miss for me ... oh, and you have to use the 2006.11 exporter or it doesn't work at all.

Yet, I still love working in it. :P

I almost always managed to get correct scaling/smoothing with FBX.2010 export into UDK by checking explicit normals and using farfarer's vertex normal kit. If it don't works then I re-save the fbx or re-import the mesh. I always triangulate the final mesh inside modo before exporting.
    Raul's max style sg script is also very cool, it's more like an ui improvement for modo's default sg support.

There's tons of scripts for modo, I can't think of using modo without scripts.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's Raul's that I use, yeah!
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread exists. I've been looking to jump into Modo for the last month, and I think this just about seals the deal.

What I would give for a "Modo for Max/Maya" users" tutorial though...

Actually by default modo has the option to turn your keyboard shortcuts to match either maya or max, or keep modo, or set things up however you want. so jumping into it is actually pretty easy.

as for the smoothing groups, Ive had issues with unreal not recognizing them, but they are actually there, it just shoots out an error for some reason.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's tons of scripts for modo, I can't think of using modo without scripts.

No shit. Since there are apparently a lot of people considering to try the package, no reason to not "show some ropes".

Found this page when I was learning and found a ton of useful tips. I don't know how old it is so maybe some scripts have been implemented already. "Perfect Circle" and "Subpatch Keep Selection" are absolute musts for me.

http://henningsanden.com/2013/03/31/how-to-optimize-modo-for-faster-modeling/

Scripts from Seneca(Quick Pipe is awesome).

http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm

Does any Modo user here use Trackball Rotation? I've heard some saying that it has advantages and enjoy it but it was the first default setting that I hated with passion lol.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I've been saying, "it'll get there some day" for game art for many years now. They continually ignore game art with every release. I'm giving them one more chance with 801 or whatever they call it and then I'm jumping ship for good.

Don't get me wrong, as a company, Luxology has been one of the best in terms of customer service, but it's obvious game art hasn't been their focus. Now that The Foundry took over, I don't see them focusing more on games at all. I hope I'm wrong because I really do like Modo as a concept. 801 should be just a few weeks away from release if they continue to follow the same schedule as the last release.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    MDiamond wrote: »
    Does any Modo user here use Trackball Rotation? I've heard some saying that it has advantages and enjoy it but it was the first default setting that I hated with passion lol.

Everyone I work with swears by it. I had to turn it off though :/
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, I'm really not interested in animation. I just want to model, and I can bake textures in Maya or whatever.

Is Modo good for scene management? Most of the stuff I've seen that I could tell was made in Modo was mainly single props. I haven't really seen a full scene of an interior or something. I'm guessing all that stuff is just as doable?

The entirety of RAGE environments were built and assembled inside Modo. Level scripting/dynamic props/lighting were done in the level editor - but all static environment was built in Modo.

ws1.jpg
    (wellspring area in modo)
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    illo wrote: »
    Actually by default modo has the option to turn your keyboard shortcuts to match either maya or max, or keep modo, or set things up however you want. so jumping into it is actually pretty easy.

as for the smoothing groups, Ive had issues with unreal not recognizing them, but they are actually there, it just shoots out an error for some reason.

that sounds cool

I just seem to hear all this talk about how using Modo is so fundamentally different from Max/Maya that I feel like I need it explained, if that makes any sense.

I've been considering grabbing the Steam version as an introduction since it's a bit hard to justify the cost of the full thing right now.

how does that stack up?
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7

Modo was the first 3d modeling program I learned and I HATE trackball rotation. Feels too imprecise so I leave it off.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I made the switch not that long ago, I cant imagine going back to Maya at this point. There are some things I still miss, but thats normal.

Modo is great for making game assets. The mesh reduction tool can shrink a mesh's resolution while keeping its form and UV map, the retoplogy pen makes retopo and even some modeling processes easy. It allows for creating, snapping and cutting geometry with ease. UVing has been the easiest I have seen so far, I get clean UVs extremely fast with very little need to tweak the final results. Sculpting works well enough for certain art styles, its very clean looking, though its no Zbrush. You can paint individual layers, such as diffuse, spec, emissive..ect in Modo, the painting tools are not bad either..a little buggy though at times.

In short, I get to stay in the package for almost everything without really losing out on the quality. I highly recommend it and from what I hear, they are aware of the needs and demands from the game artist out there. There was recently a Modo Steam Edition with the focus on game art, so it tells you its on their radar.

Also on one of the modo podcast, they admitted to needing to up their game in selling Modo's game side and that most of the staff over there were gamers as well.

In short, yes modo isnt perfect for game art, in fact I think few applications are, but it has its strengths and weaknesses... the strengths are awesome enough to warrant the switch and the weaknesses, well we can get around those.

Also I am surprised some think the baking quality is bad... I have had some great results with them. That said, nothing xnormal or substance designer cant fix if you dont get the results you need.

My impression is that 801 will be more game art friendly, and over time it will gain much more ground in the industry as a whole.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH god, trackball rotation. Useless in every imaginable way. :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I wont lie, I found it to be useful in some situations. Like when sculpting or painting fine detail on a small mesh. Otherwise, off it goes. It really should be off by default.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, totally. Don't try to bend Modo to work like Max or Maya. Just learn the Modo way. That's how it works best.

I've kind of set Modo up to run a bit like Maya. Changed the navigation to Maya's and have a few custom pie menus that emulate what I had going in Maya's marking menus.

So far I'm finding it super easy to get into Modo. The only thing that weirds me out is having to hit escape all the time to deselect objects.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    I tried out Modo and coming from Maya it was much easier than trying to learn Max. It just doesn't have enough presence in the industry yet for budding artists like me to justify learning alongside their main 3D package.

Having said that, the dynamic booleans plug-in may be a complete game changer...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd suggest picking up the basics now while you can.

why, was there a time released poison in my burrito bowl!?

How different is the steam version? If I try the 15 trial for the full Modo and like it, will the steam version be a letdown?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the Steam version doesn't have script support which is a major problem...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the Steam version doesn't have script support which is a major problem...

I wouldn't be using it for anything other than learning & playing around at home. I'm not a freelancer and it wouldn't fit into the pipeline at work at all so $1490 is just way too much for me to justify.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've kind of set Modo up to run a bit like Maya. Changed the navigation to Maya's and have a few custom pie menus that emulate what I had going in Maya's marking menus.

So far I'm finding it super easy to get into Modo. The only thing that weirds me out is having to hit escape all the time to deselect objects.

By no means I meant that you should swallow all the default settings to use the potential of the program. I still use Maya's navigation and mapped the command "viewport.maximize" to space bar to maximize a viewport just like in Maya. Just try to get the dexterity and speed you have in other programs while knowing Modo's fundamentals and you're good.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    No shit. Since there are apparently a lot of people considering to try the package, no reason to not "show some ropes".

Found this page when I was learning and found a ton of useful tips. I don't know how old it is so maybe some scripts have been implemented already. "Perfect Circle" and "Subpatch Keep Selection" are absolute musts for me.

http://henningsanden.com/2013/03/31/how-to-optimize-modo-for-faster-modeling/

Scripts from Seneca(Quick Pipe is awesome).

http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm

For latest versions of Seneca scripts, use this link instead:
    (perfect circle, makepolygon, rotate-to-or-unrotate(duplicate subcommand) and viewport display toggles are a must for me)
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=32&t=64729

You can click to an empty spot in the viewport to deselect. For dropping the tools, spacebar is useful.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How different is the steam version? If I try the 15 trial for the full Modo and like it, will the steam version be a letdown?

That's what I started with before getting a full license of 701. The steam version easily has enough to get in deep with Modo. The only thing you wont really be able to do is animate (and that will probably change in future versions), dynamics and Render outside of real time. Some stuff like Farfarer's vertext normal script work with the steam edition as well.

There's also work being done on finding an upgrade path from the steam edition to modo proper, so there's some value in getting the steam edition. For steam workshop stuff, it can still be used on its own as well, for UVs, retopo, baking..ect You can get some use out of it regardless of where you go with Modo proper.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator

I do. I disliked it initially but thought I'd leave it on just to see if I got used to it. It also helps a LOT if you understand how trackball works:
    modo uses a rotation method known as ‘trackball rotation’ by default. This is by far my favorite way to work, and I highly recommend getting used to it. Basically it means that when you drag to rotate the viewport, the behavior is based on where you drag. Imagine the viewport is overlayed with a giant trackball. If you click and drag the middle of the trackball, things rotate from the middle. If you drag the edge of the trackball, things pivot sideways, as if you’re turning the trackball from the side, like a steering wheel. Click anywhere in between, and the effect is somewhere in the middle. The beauty of this system is that it works perfectly from any angle: you can flip your model upside-down, and work on it the same as if it were right-side-up. People who are not used to trackball rotation find it difficult to control simply because they’re not used to it: give it time, and you won’t want to go back! That said, if you ABSOLUTELY can’t stand trackball rotation, you can turn it off by clicking the viewport view mode drop down at the top left of the screen, and disabling Trackball Rotation.
    source

Of course, there are other schools of thought...
    :'(

I use mostly default modo keyboard shortcuts (which I think are well thought out and worth adjusting to), but with a few changes. Instead of using spacebar as a pseudo drop tool button (default it cycles through selection modes, which I use the 1-7 keys for anyway) to 'remove'. Really helpful when removing lots and lots of edge loops as you don't have to move your left hand or take your right off the mouse, which is frantically selecting edges. Then I just use the default q to drop a tool. Took a while to get used to using spacebar this way but it was a definite improvement.

I've also bound shift+e to Bridge, a commonly used tool, and shift+f to Add Loop. And I have join verts to a mouse side button, perfect circle on another. In UV view though, the side buttons are for straighten (Still waiting on a way to straighten polygonal selections, which max can do excellently)

Some scripts I use heavily are Ariel Chai's (Svartberg) PipelineIO, Jame O'Hare's (Farfarer) Vertex Normal Toolkit, Texel Density Toolkit, Seneca's script package (Perfect Circle). ETERA uv tools have some time saving functions too, especially for arranging small tedious pieces.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, clearly everyone is different. I hated it intensely and everyone I introduce to Modo immediately asks how to fix the viewport rotation. :P

EDIT: Although I just tried it now after reading your description above and it seems a lot more tolerable ... I might experiment with leaving it on and see how it feels.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's the first thing I did - you can toggle it off for all viewports in your settings, btw (you don't have to do it for all viewports one by one):

System > Preferences > Display/OpenGL > Viewport Rotation > Untick "Trackball Rotation" and tick "Override Viewport-Level Trackball Option"
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump.

So i've been doing this month noob challenge, and I decided I do it all in modo.
    So far modeling is awsome.
    But there is one "small" issue.

I have mesh. It have around 6k tris and 3k vertices.
    That is what the info in modo shows anyway. Now I export this mesh to UE4 in FBX, it have rougly 6k tris and drum drum drum, 15k vertices. WTF IS THAT !?

Ok I though it might be my fault.
    So I exported mesh to imported the same mesh to 3ds max. So far so good, numbers are correct.
    Now I exported from max and imported to UE4.... And numbers for mesh that was processed by 3ds max are also correct...

end of rant.

Luxology. Please fix your FBX export. It really can't be that hard.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Which import version did you use? fbx.2006 or fbx.2010? Have you checked 'explicit normals' in import settings? (if there's such a thing in ue4, speaking of udk). Have you tried doing the smoothing by using farfarer's vertex normal toolkit or standard modo smoothing? There's lots of variables that effect your end result, needs some trial and error though :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is such option and I tried that script.

I think I know what the issue might be/ When Exporting from max I get this message:
    The FBX Plug-in has detected turned edges on Editable Poly objects. If you wish to retain edge orientation, you will need to enable the 'Preserve edge orientation' option in order to enable the plug-in to convert the affected Editable Poly objects to Editable Mesh objects and automatically triangulate them.
    The following Editable Poly objects are affected:

And boom. When I check preserve edge orientation it gives result similar to modo export.

I have by default this option disabled. I never seen it make any difference in end look.

I think it's definitely modo fault at this point. To be more specific it's fault of options lacking for fbx exporter ;/.

Just to be clear. I have exported using FBX2013.
    Then imported to max 2013.
    And exported from max 2013.
    If I do it this way it works ok.
    If I just export from modo and import to engine, it fails miserably by having atrocious amount of vertices.

I'm really convinced to the modo way at this point. But content exporting between various apps, is just bad.
    It's really hard to believe, that creating proper FBX pipeline wasn't highest priority for new version ;/