Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jinx, the loose cannon, Tits WIP

mod
Offline / Send Message
Tits mod
Hey guys!
Once again I'm back with yet another female character (yaaaaaah.....)
Decided to do something quite different from what I did last time with a very realistic and serious character.
Always have a little bit more trouble with stylised stuff so Jinx is definitly a small-fun little project.

If you don't know who Jinx is, there you go,
she's from League of legends and I really fell in love with the little video they made with her.
yz1XowO.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlJuwO0GDs"]Little video here[/ame]

So that's where I am right now, I am looking for comments and crits as always.
eSJkWOu.jpg
Q9VgzRG.jpg

Plus I'm recording KIND of the whole process and uploading it into my youtube channel as a (very long) timelapse if it can interest anyone.
here's the first video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCq4UPDxG0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Jinx Timelapse Part01 - YouTube[/ame]

cheers!

Replies

• DWalker
    The flesh on the outside of her breasts is very odd. There isn't nearly enough flesh there to create that kind of fold, and the crease on her upper arm just wouldn't happen in any case. I know that it's actually like that in the video, but this is one time reality would be much better.

Her face looks more waifish and innocent than the concept. - I think the greatest differences are in the eyes and mouth, both of which have a very stylized shape in the concept.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for recording the process ! Looking forward to more.

I'm not really good at paintover (or zbrush for that matter), but I gave it a shot anyway :P Don't hurt me.

I adjusted her forehead a bit after I resized her head. I think her head is too big, and too high, compared to her body. And I touched a bit of her eyes area and cheekbones.

What kind of expression are you planning for her ??

GReEJOZ.png
  • victorhrz
    Looking good! :) I think for the lips and eye I would accentuate the borders as @PyrZern pointed, too match that evil -ish expression she has. The neck is ok as it is though ;)

Are you planning on modelling some weapons too? The bazooka looks bad ass and fun to do.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    even with the stylisation i think her waist is too slim, widen her a little in the front view and see if that helps. her concept shows that even though she's stylised her torso is still proportional to her shoulders and legs.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh yeah. this is gonna be good.

curves, she need curves.
    everything is kind of stiff at the moment, get some S shapes in there.

also is the head a tad big or is just the angle?
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Jinx whuhu

If I may give some constructive criticism, the face doesn't really have that jinx feels. I always compared jinx lips to the one of alyson hannigan ( at least when compared with the artwork )

alyson_hannigan_wallpaper_10-t2.jpg

almost no upper lips and a smile in between the joker and a normal one :P

The eyes also don't show the cunning side of the character that is Jinx.

other than this I can see greatness await us in taht thread :P

Can't wait to see it's evolution.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Oh wow I was not expecting so many answers!!

DWalker Yah I know what you mean about the breast fold and the crease on her upper arm. I really like the look that they went for in the video with those kind of stylisation but I understand that some might not like it. Will consider keeping or changing it. I doo agree she looks way more innocent. My problem is, how am I suppose to sculpt her with a ''neutral'' face (so we can rig her later) without making her loose her crazy personnality?

PyrZern Thanks for the input, I agree the forehead might be a bit too high, i'll double check that. Not sure about her neck and head size, if I make her head smaller she will look even more tall (and she aldready is very tall imo). Like I said expression wise I would like to have her rig and make her do her crazy smile. Tho for the modelling process I need to keep her with a neutral expression wich is making her loose her edge-craziness look :S

victorhrz will try to accentuate the border of the mouth :). I will try and model the shark-looking weapon she has. Not really good at this kind of stuff, will be interesting!

Almighty_guuuuurrrlll (sorry haha) Will make sure to double check that waist, she is very very thin but I kinda liked it but you are right, it is very disproportional.

Ionet she's not so much of a curvy character to be honest but yah i'll check if you find her kind of stiff, that's really not something I want. Not sure about the head, your the second to point it out but I feel like if I make it smaller she will be too tall? (Btw love your deadpool :) )

underfox Alyson Hannigan sure is a good reference of mouth I should go for. Unfortunatly like I said before I cannot sculpt her with the smile aldready it or It would be a pain to rig etc later. I know it's making it more difficult to recognize jinx atm. Will try to make that upper lips thinner tho! Thanks!

Thanks a lot for all the critics, was definitly not expecting that much haha!
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Tits looking really good!, i dont remember where.. but i heard/read that she was ispired by the overly attached girlfriend eyes!
    bi0Pnve.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Art reference aside, that's a strange place for a bandolier. If her bikini top was incorporated into the bandolier, it would make it more believable...otherwise, as it is, it would just fall down to her waist.

As you probably already know, concept artists don't always get everything figured out on paper.

Still she looks cute and it will be nice to see this finished.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, a question I have, in general, is; what's a neutral expression of a character that almost always smile evilly O o'

e919fbacf7c4d0f7d7b6b995715f39d2.png
    7cdd6f9f3cd68d237153cc24e02567c6.png
    a0351b2578ab71358bdde04541a5d722.png
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    You kind of answered that question in it self, if the character is always smiling use it as the default expression.

Unless you plan on animating the models face there is no problem with sculpting the expression in.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Well I'm gonna get the model rigged so I can animate her face so putting the evil smile in is not an option :)
  • woogity
    Hey there, the nose is much too long and much to defined at the moment, try softening it up a little form wise and also turn up the tip just a little that profile shot you have is great ref. Also unlike with most real people the lips of the character go all the way to the corners of her mouth, which will help get that wide mouthed feel she has. I think your eye shapes were a bit closer in the original post as well. good luck with the updates!
    Jinx has a really sort of " boyish" body so dont worry too much about it being curvy i think "less is more" when it comes to this character in the womanly curves department.

-Woog
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    @tits:
    Looked up her video again the other, love the video and such a great character, so good pick :D

Great start so far, although I'd have to agree that the face is still a bit off. Like others said she looks too innocent at the moment. I think her eyebrows at the moment are to round, maybe making them slightly more angular like in the images it'll give her a slightly more crazy look.

Also thanks for adding progress videos! Always interesting to watch.
    katana wrote: »
    Art reference aside, that's a strange place for a bandolier. If her bikini top was incorporated into the bandolier, it would make it more believable...otherwise, as it is, it would just fall down to her waist.

Actually it's part of her bikini top, so rather than falling down it would just pull down on her breasts/neck.
  • Der Hollander
    It looks like you're straying a bit far from the concept in a few key areas, which I think isn't helping the sculpt. I'll get to the face later, but the biggest thing that's bugging me is the angled bandolier around the hips. In your reference, the bandolier is actually a belt, looped through the belt loops of her "Daisy Dukes". It makes a lot more sense that way and would make the piece feel stronger.

As far as the face goes, you really need to be going full anim
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Yay! You're doing another character!

One crit I have that I don't think anyone has touched on yet is her shoulders. I think she needs to have a little more bulk at the top of her arm, or just define it more. I'm not opposed to the stylized fold on the edge of her breast but I would agree that the crease on her upper arm is strange. I don't think it is present in the Jinx character. Maybe adding the muscle would help that.

Anyways, great progress so far! This will be great to watch.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    woogity Thanks for your input!

MeintevdS Yah I realize she look way too innocent, I define a ''plan of action'' to fix it, will see how that turns out!

Der Hollander dunno if its not clear enough at the moment but the bandolier around her hips, is actually a belt on mine too! is it the angle that is bugging you? This is the ingame model

psycheplays_cosplay-wishlist_jinx-leagueoflegends-01.png
    talking about the face I did have a discussion with someone yersterday and realise that my character was a bit on the fence when it come to the style, I am kind of on the edge so it was hard to define If i needed to bring it back to more realistic proportion or the opposite, go all the way very stylized manga style. I decided I will go all the way to the extreme with a very stylised-anime look for the face. Keep updated for the evolution! micro rendering of the lips is just a ''left over'' because I started from my ellie character (hard to tell now but yah!) will be removed for sure! Thanks for the help!

KristaW Yah I think I know where I am going with the stylized fold of the breast, will probably be corrected in the next update :) will see how people feel about that one. Will check to define her shoulde-arm area too, thanks!

Can't wait to work on her some more, taking the direction of a very stylised-anime style character will definitly be a challenge from me. Yeah, gonna be fun!
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    I just watched your video, I thought it was a cool idea to apply the puffy diamond pattern using noise maker! I usually just drag those kinds of patterns out but I think this is a more robust solution. Thanks:)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    AlexKola I used to drag those kind of pattern too, but then most of the time the surface is not so flat and then I was getting some kind of warping. In that case it did turn out pretty nice with the noise maker! Had to adjust my UV tho cause I was getting some square shape instead haha, not really what I was aiming for!

Soooooo Little update on Jinx, I've been playing with the head for the past 2 night trying to go away a bit from that innocent-angel look and giving her a bit more of a stylized-anime style... Had some kind of trouble, really never did anything in that style before. Tbh I kind of got rid of the innocent look but now she's got a seductive vibe I think... Think i'll leave the face alone for now, Will go into more clothing and accessory and come back to it later before I frustrate myself too much hehe.
    still looking forward to your crits guys, and yes i'll fix that armpit right now!!
    lzNnYbs.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The eyes look too far apart and a bit too high up. Also gonna agree with others on the thinness. It is starting to look a bit freaky with waist being so small. Excited to see how this turns out.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice going so far =)
    Je me permet de passer en fran
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I still think she's extremely thin from the front, i'd suggest at this point, bringing the shoulders in a little and the torso out a little, just normalize the two so she still appears thin due to her height but not weirdly so. Right now the proportions are fighting against the stylisation and that's what's killing it for me.

coming along well though Marie!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    stevston89 Thanks for your input!
    I had actually made some change aldready to the face when I saw your comment. Don't know if it fixed it but I actually change a bit of the face proportion, now the eyes are a tad lower in the face (so the nose is not as long). Eye wise I'll take a look at it but in those ''anime'' style character the eyes are very far apart. Thanks mate!

Abrvpt Francais! pardonne-moi ma grammaire hehe.
    J'ai modifi
  • DWalker
    I think you might be giving her an extra cup size. In the references, she breaks the typical video game mold by being realistically 'endowed' for somebody that skinny - although if her top is too tight it would explain the strange folds on the outside of her breasts in the video.

The face is getting better, and many of the differences will be caused by the texture (especially the eye shadow) and her expression. I'd take a closer look at the shape of her eyebrows, and something about her nose just seems off - too skinny and sharp, perhaps? Also notice the distinct bags under her eyes - they seem to add to the artificially hyped feel of the concept. I'd straighten the corners of her mouth for the neutral pose. The concept's ears seem rounder, without distinct lobes.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    DWalker Giving her an extra cup size? Hehe those are the smallest boob I ever made! The eyebrows are really ''placeholder'' at the moment, just defined a quick like with dam standard because it was feeling empty without anything hehe. Will go back to the nose later, Taking a break of the face for the moment so I can have a more fresh look-approach when I get back to it. Thanks for the input on the bags under the eyes - eye and ears :)

Small update, the part 02 of the timelapse is currently encoding so I should be able to upload it to youtube in the morning if anyone is interested.

That's it for now, can't wait to spend more time on her this weekend!
    Q7GQE1N.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can afford to lower her eyebrow a tad more :) Not sure if her collar bones should be wider or not.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks much better !
    I agree with PyrZern on the eyebrows, she'll look a bit more adult I think.
    Also I made a paintover to show what I had in mind about the face, looks a bit more proportioned I think.
    There's also this kind of fold that shouldn't be that defined with this size of breasts in a bra.

bussL8AbussL8A.jpg?1

Can't wait to see more !
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I think the long nose actually suits the face quite well, personally i'd leave it as it is.

The torso looks much more in-sync now, way more natural!
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very promising. In fact, I like the way the model looks already :) Keep it up!
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Still think the eyes look funny that far apart, but maybe that just me. Agree with gir here like the proportions you have currently over what Abrvpt is suggesting. Latest update looks much better torso wise.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Part 02 of the timelapse!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHLGOhfTQfE&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q&feature=c4-overview"]Jinx timelapse Part02 - YouTube[/ame]

PyrZern I'll double check her collar bone / eye brow position, thanks!

abrvpt Thanks for the paint over! I'm actually not convinced with the shorter nose tho it looks a bit funny to me !

almighty_gir Thanks man, glad you like the torso much better now and thank you for your constant input!

unit187 thanks !!

steveston89 the eye doesn,t really bug me at the moment but maybe i'll give it a shot to see if it looks better closer :). do agree with the nose, kind of like it the way it is and glad I finally made her a little bit less weird in the torso area.

Cheers!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice Tits, lol ahem.

The shoulders and arms could do with some reference, especially the deltoids.

anffv2a-1-3scale_000.jpg

Her face is looking pretty good, I'm not sure if her cheeks could be abit fuller or wider, as said it's hard to tell from a character that is always smiling :D
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Tits nice work! the face is much better now i think it could benefit maybe from some rounder volumes in the cheeks? not sure but i am keeping an eye on this model! keep it up, cant wait to see it finished
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I'd agree, her face ought to be more heart shaped, and needs more volume above her eyes, particularly toward the outer edges of the sockets.

Anyway, its getting there, keep it up.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Hi tits!

Lovely work you have here so far :) really liking the concept and the time lapse's have been an awesome inspiration for my own work!

I'd give some crits but to be honest, it'd just be repeating what others have said in face volume.

Keep going! :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Mask_Salesman Yaaaaaah still having a bit of trouble with that area, Worked a bit more on it, hope it's better (not sure if it really shows tho) Might go back to it :) Thanks for the ecorche! About the cheeks I did made them a bit fuller but I was trying to concentrate on other stuff so i'll go back to it later! Thanks man!

Azkur Did add a bit of volume to the cheeks but it doesn't really show atm :) will go back to it, probably will be there on my next update!

arcitecht Will check those eyes socket but that was mainly a stylistic decision I made, really trying to keep away from going realistic there :) Thanks for your comment!

Dave Jr Thanks! Glad you like the character I picked and I'm happy you are enjoying the timelapse! About the face volume I'll work on it some more like I said earlier hehe

kaikaisushi Thanks mate!

aaaaand the update!
    62dhp84.jpg
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    I have a lot of love for Jinx, this is looking fantastic! :D
  • Inhert
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Great job on the model so far! I don't really know well enough the origins of the characters but I am digging the proportions. One thing that still bothers me is how large the pigtails are from the neck area all the way down to the torso.

The thickness of the pigtails looks like she could have Rapunzel hair almost like the ropes they use on big cruise ship boats. I could be wrong on this but I saw the concept art on the first page and her pigtails don't look as thick as you have it right now. Maybe you intended it to be thicker as an artistic decision but it just seemed kind of weird to have that much thickness on each pigtail on a such a small head. Hope it doesn't set you back in anyway because those pigtails look like they are already set in stone :poly122:. Just my 2 cents.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Just wanted to chime in and say I think Abrvpt's critiques in post #28 were spot on. The face I think you can say is a stylistic point of differentiation (though that nose is pretty damn tiny), but that fold on the breasts really doesn't look right and wouldn't be there given her size (unless we're talking like...flapjacks, not going to say it's impossible.)

I also think her stomach is looking a bit too flat - think you could increase the volume a little bit, maybe just by not carrying that ab line any lower than her navel.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Shes looking really good so far, I created this for a friend a while ago, thought it might help :)

creating_plaits_by_tom_parker.jpg

*edit*

sorry couldnt resist a paintover :) this might give you some ideas of putting more character into her, but take with a pinch of salt, I know nothing about LoL haha, just looked at your ref on the first page

marie_jinx_paintover.gif
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it is coming together!

but i think the face is not quite there yet, even with this beeing the neutral pose, i'm missing the attitude in it. The nose is way way way too tiny, how wide is it at the nostrils 1cm? suuuper tiny, it may be stylized yes but the rest is sonewhat anatomical, the face looks like a semi realistic attempt on a manga character. huge eyes, tiny nose, and tiny mouth.
    To me the eyes are definitely too round, not sharp enough to sell her attitude, even in pose you will have to change the face drastically to give her that jinx vibe. Same goes for the other facial features, they are just too cute for me

but thats my personal oppinion, i don't know where you want to go with her.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Woah!
    Boost of answers all of a suddent!
    AbKI Thanks!!

Inhert Thanks! about the pigtails I did realized they might be too thick. It's a very easy fix so I will do it for sure :) They are not set in stone at all haha!

Two Listen Hahaha I will fix that boob line (no clue what a flapjack is tho) And yah here nose is very(too) tiny, Was trying something and it's not really something I should go for, I'll correct it :). Was just taking a break from the face.

Crazyfool Haha we did the exact same thing, it's the little screen I did for someone on youtube fews weeks ago 0BNU7iy.jpg I just shouldn't have use a FFD cause now it's a bit too thick at the top but i'll fix this! Really liked the paintover you did,
    There is a bit of expression baked into her face and my rigger will probably hate me for it but I kind of like it. It's because I went for something like that a bit wich made me do that crazy thin nose haha, my mistake!
    lol-jinx-sexy-15.jpg
    I'll work on the face some more, hopsefully I'll get her right this time!

NeoxHaha yah DAT nose, gonna fix it hahaha I was going way too stylized there. You say you are not sure where I am going.
    Well the thing is that at first I was really on the edge with a more ''realistic'' or proportionate face and a very stylised body. I am not trying to remove that ambiguity by going all the way stylised but I realise I still got to be carefull so that it make sens (like the nostril being too small) Gonna try to give it an edge while not being stock with too much expression, Gotta do some test :) Yah I do want her crazy tho but I still want her to be kind of pretty? Like creepy-crazy-pretty-boyish,

Can't wait to work on her some more.

Timelapse part 3 here :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5x3dETL2U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Jinx Timelapse Part03 - YouTube[/ame]
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like you have mirrored the second plait geo in the wrong direction unfortunately as it's not interlocking, try mirroring it front to back when the meshes are next to each other, I don't know max axis I'm afraid :( you have strands going into one another at the moment where as if you look at mine it ties into itself. Hope that makes sense haha
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Looks like you have mirrored the second plait geo in the wrong direction unfortunately as it's not interlocking, try mirroring it front to back when the meshes are next to each other, I don't know max axis I'm afraid :( you have strands going into one another at the moment where as if you look at mine it ties into itself. Hope that makes sense haha

Oh wow you are right, I did do it the wrong way around!! Might have to redo all the hair hahaha nooooooooooo :P
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    The thread title did not disappoint. ;)

Nice work, nothing to add, we always have to redo stuff, sucks big time but hey you learn and get that much faster, nothing but a praise post will enjoy the videos and progress.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    great work! will you be adding blendshapes? Cause I think it'll help to give that crazy look.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    D4V1DC Haha it's not big dig for the hair at all haha It was no big task fortunatly (plus I redid it today and did the same mistake again hahaha, bitch gotta learn!)

Iciban Yah I will most likely make morpher but only once she is in the low-poly stage :)

So I reworked her face a lot (and redid the hair!) with the help of Crazyfool's very helpfull paintover. I feel like I'm getting closer but there is really something bugging me... Feel like her eyes might be too small or too far apart now or ... something?
    Not sure, suggestions guys?
    y0xRYhW.jpg
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Nice update Tits! i am not sure but maybe the shoulder also need more volume? or maybe just a smoother transition? looking forward to the next updates
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Since everybody's doing it:

jinx_po.gif
  • Wex
    Offline / Send Message
    Wex polycounter lvl 12
    Face paintover:

jinx_edit.PNG