Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Piece - Stylised mobile environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,

Just finished this piece to help with applications to mobile companies :) The idea being it would be used in an RTS or a Cityville/Farmville style game. Probably not going to revisit it but feel free to crit and I'll bear it in mind for my next mobile asset. Feedback on the portfolio as a whole is welcome too!

Wireframe and texture on my portfolio site HERE

f161392663e9a8e2f455eebbe525173f.jpg

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really nice, It's cool to see you works as a lead on Runescape. I used to play it F2P alot of it back in 2003-05...good times
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Carl, just checked out your portfolio site too, some nice stuff in there! As for Runescape I never actually played it but working on it was fun :)

A quick question, are you hosting your own site or are you using a prebuilt package? I ask as I wanted to get a sketchfab or jquery reel into my portfolio for this mobel but DAportfolio only allows images.
  • mats effect
    Pretty nice piece dude, I think it fits the style you are going for well.
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks! that means alot coming from someone who's working in the industry for years. Most of it I'll be removing in time when I start making some Environments, all except the Hand Painted Section. I'm using Weebly with a Theme I customized slightly. I just used Embedded code that comes with SketchFab (iFrame)
    If you have the ability to Embed iFrame, HTML or bbCode then you can use SketchFab
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    @mats effect - Thanks dude!
    @Carl - Thanks for the info :) And yeah, I agree, slowly remove the older pieces as your stuff gets better. I'm guilty of having some older stuff hanging around myself, need to clean up a bit more often!
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Hey great stuff man. I like your color pallette. Here are a couple things that stick out to me.

You used up a lot of texture space. In the future you can probably look at getting away with reusing the same wood texture instead of having each side of the wood unique.

It looks like the Ace of Spades has a bullet hole through it? Great idea but at first I thought it was a flower. You can fix that by not making the hole so symmetrical. Also, the cards on top look great in this camera angle but in the other angles on your portfolio, it's kind of whacky. Even floating in some angles. I wonder if laying the cards out like you did on the Saloon sign would look better.

Being picky here cuz scale is an issue with a lot of mobile games, but the doorway on the bottom is way smaller than the one up top and then same thing with your bricks. Some are huge some are small. Maybe that was on purpose. I don't know but scale can easily throw off a model and in this case it did for me.

Anyway.. You probably can't tell by what I said but I like your work. Mobile games are fun and your work says fun to me. Especially your hand painted textures. Keep it up and good luck!
  • JustinK
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinK polycounter lvl 9
    great work! for me id just say the dice on top are a bit plain in texture compared to everything else.
    But that's just personal opinion.
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    @GOBEE - Thanks for the crits! I totally forgot to rework the bullet hole as you're the second person to mention it looks like a flower, may have to revisit it after all :) Agreed on the texture, my next will be tighter.

As for the floating cards and the scale being off, all that is on purpose. The cards were supposed to be an over the top exaggeration, if you check the concept in the link you'll see where I explored a bank as well, where a bank vault sits on top of the bank. Also, the planned view point would be a sort of 3/4 view so the floating aspect wouldn't be super noticeable.

The scale issues I think help with the cartoon aspect of it, it's something I noticed in a few inspiration pieces and my concept artist better half made similar suggestions :) I've actually got a more scaled version and it looks too realistic.

@JustinK - Much obliged! I also agree on the dice, I think them and the cards need some extra love.