Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community 'Noob' Challenge - February 2014

Replies

• MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Great work on the thread layout Belkun, looking forward to seeing everyones work!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    MdK wrote: »
    Great work on the thread layout Belkun, looking forward to seeing everyones work!

Haha, thanks! I'm a sucker for pretty threads. Used to do loads and loads of this stuff for a gaming forum I used to post on :D

I posted it on reddit here, hope we can get some more people to join up!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    So this weapon is to be made for Sven?

Just to clarify, since the color scheme and whatnot.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @TeriyakiStyle

I remember that from the Hangouts! Amazing spreadsheet mate, thanks a lot! Added it into the resources.

@Baddcog

Yup! It's for Sven. I added his pic to the side of the sword and a link to his files on the tech requirements, but let me know if it's not clear enough. I'll add some extra description under the image.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No that's good. It seemed that was the case, just wanted to be sure :)
  • poodleswithguns
    so i'm a never used the software going into the deep end newb.

lets see if this wont be my first / last post.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I guess that I'm going to be the first one to post some progress! Going with the spirit of it being a challenge, I'm trying to challenge myself to do it straight into ZBrush, without base meshes or anything of the sort. I managed to get a decent shape, but it's hard to get a nice sharp edge and clean everything up.

UwnyJSK.jpg

A looooot to clean up before starting on the straps!
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I wanted to be the first one posts. Anyway ı did my base mesh except handle but dont expect much like belkun
    SCL0hoN.jpg
  • arihs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try your best to finish on time
    When is the deadline?

Can you give us a rough timeline of how long it would take an experienced modeler to make this sword and maybe a difficulty rating?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    arihs wrote: »
    When is the deadline?

Can you give us a rough timeline of how long it would take an experienced modeler to make this sword and maybe a difficulty rating?

As a monthly challenge, the deadline is on the last day of the month (February 28th).

An experienced modeller can make this is less than a week. I bet that a 1-3 days is enough for someone who is already used to the whole process.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @cagdasx44

Looking good! Only suggestion I'd give is to add more edges around the parts where you will be sculpting (like the straps) and keep everything as quads.

@TeriyakiStyle

Nice one! Really like the extra geometry for the straps. Are you making the low poly at the same time as the high poly? Or are you getting that mesh subdivided? Adding some more loops to the handle where the straps should be would help while sculpting if you're doing it with that mesh. Also, why so many triangles?! haha

Yeah, I used ShadowBox to get the initial shape then began using Move and ClipCurve to clean a bit of the silhouette. After that, some masking and transpose move to get that red part thinner and the sharpness of the blade. Now I'm mostly cleaning with TrimDynamic, hPolish, Smooth and ClayPolish.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, right! I thought that you were going to subdivide it, my bad! I think that the budget on this weapon isn't going to be a major problem for anyone, 700/400 is a nice number for a simple sword like that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Oooh, interesting! I usually just select the edges, grab the Crease tool and adjust the strength of the crease and then just use a GoZ with no sub-d, then sub-d on ZBrush. I'll take a look on Crease Set Editor and try to do a GoZ with some sub-d on my next work. Thanks for the tip!
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Great work so far, and since im a total noob at this i think im gonna give it a try :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    I cant find the original texture, normal and masks map for this blade, can anyone help find out where the hell are they? cause i think it's a good idea to compare my texture/ UV layout to the original one to see if i can match/improve them?

@TeriyakiStyle: wow your blade already looks great, and i havent even started yet :|
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @quockhanhlk,

I don't think there are any. It's a Valve concept for a weapon. Best bet is probably just to DL the Sven pack and try to match that weapon.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a tad confusing because the colors don't match Sven's. But it's clearly a weapon for him.

So IMO the final texture shouldn't even be red even though the concept is.

Well, here's what I mean: silver/gold/blue. It's a good reference anyway if anyone is wondering scale or while the blade has the hole in it.

Sven.jpg
  • FlashL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, pretty keen to get into this. I'm currently getting more comfortable with the workflow required of Modo SE, & using this challenge as a way to practice time management.

So far I've spent just over an hour - No Z-brush for me, I prefer to model my high poly hard surface objects rather than sculpt.

xl2m.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @TeriyakiStyle. Good stuff man, I learned some thing I had no idea about and that will speed up my workflow! Will get started on this on Monday hopefully.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @quockhanhlk,
    As I mentioned earlier, it's a tad confusing because the colors don't match Sven's. But it's clearly a weapon for him.

So IMO the final texture shouldn't even be red even though the concept is.

Well, here's what I mean: silver/gold/blue. It's a good reference anyway if anyone is wondering scale or while the blade has the hole in it.

Yeah I was a little annoyed about that one set, would have look much better in a shade of blue rather than red

interesting thought on the holes though
    Some of my friends who are really into the Dota cannon speculate Sven has to bind part of the blade because he doesn't know how to properly wield it in the first place
    must give sven some awful back problems

I wonder if we should allow contest entrees to modify or improve on the design such as changing small details/colours
  • ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, I think I should definitely take a break from my Daedalus crossbow-rifle to give this a go and improve my skills- so I can get back to the Daedalus afterwards and do it the justice it deserves!
    Anywho, this is how I start out:

Very initial addition of polys, using the flat view to line up verts with silhouette key points:
    8796649d9c970e43c899534b0734f15b.png

Then eventually I add more divisions to add to the general form, using the split selected edge ring tool-
    5a33b2dae4e6a2192dcb93e9bfb74e0a.png

I like having a custom shelf in Maya so I can access 95% of the tools I need all within view, as shown here- I believe you just ctrl+shift click them from their menus to add them :

5f45145b8a3bd9362d0649c6ce6a5f96.png

And a quick update with the lowpoly mesh, I reckon I'll follow the advice with the creasing etc to get a nice output to mudbox :)

ecff146b608333d13a63ff334dd441a0.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @TeriyakiStyle

Dayumm, that is looking pretty! Really nice work!

@FlashL

Is that modo? Anyway, it looks pretty solid! No major issues I can think of :D

@ponyplop

Nice start! I think that you did a great job with the blade, but I'm not sure if you should be making the circular part a separate mesh. It's not a hard shape to create, and can easily be extended from the blade.

@Baddcog and Hawt Koffee

The weapon is indeed red in-game. I agree that blue would work better, and I wouldn't mind people changing the color, since it's not a major thing and could even look better as blue. I just don't want people doing stuff like changing it to green or pink, but if it's a color that makes sense, why not? Changing colors around from the concept is something really common after you get the item in-game, since some colors may not work as well as you think would.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I did a rough high poly base then imported to zbrush to tweak some areas (the ring) as well as sculpt the grip and the cloth on the ring.
    5wIGpN9.jpg

@Hawt I think we should be able to modify the design a bit. Just to the point of colors and small silhouette changes. Maybe make the ring a bit bigger or smaller.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Ha,the ideea of diferent people making the same model after the same concept it's a genius ideea :D it's awesome to see the same model done in thousand of ways so after 1-2 hours i've finished my base model
    x4tx.png

i strongly recmand everyone to make a base model without looking at polycount or care about the topology because after the sculpt a retopo will make the sync between lowpoly and high poly perfect

also for the maya users (i don't know for the rest of programs but i think it should be something similar) add some subdivisions from maya(press 3 and after that the use crease on the edges that you want to be sharp/hard and after convert from smooth mesh preview to poly ) so when you export in zbrush just dynamesh so you won't need to add subdivs that will change the silouete of the model.

another tip that i used on the hole is just make a simple cilinder ,place it on the sword and make it long enough to go trough it ,and after select your sword and after shift select the cilinder and perform a boolean difference and that will make a nice perfect hole where the cilinder was placed.

@TeriyakiStyle
    nice nice nice but i have 1 question,when you creased the edges on the ring part where the cloth stripes were applyed, you let it smooth without creases ,wasn't easier to sculpt it in zbrush if you had applyed some creases there too to keep the shape better?

@belkun
    that's a quite nice shape for a model without a basemesh.you used zspheres? or you had the patiecne to sculpt a default sphere into a sword? XD

edit : just finished my very first polypaint XD

u99t.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @GhostDetector

The circle looks a bit off. I'd suggest to nail the silhouette as soon as possible, in this case on your base mesh, so you don't need to keep fixing it on ZBrush.

@Andumy

Really nice base mesh! I like that you did the straps on the blade there instead of sculpting! That polypaint also looks great! Spotlight I presume? haha

I'm not that crazy to use ZSpheres to make a sword, haha! I used ShadowBox to get the initial silhouette and then it was just a lot of move, transpose and cleaning.

Here's mine so far! Again, I'm using only ZBrush, no base meshes! Still some cleanup to do, but it's way better than yesterday. I also extracted some geometry to make the straps.

3nfxkQ9.jpg
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    @Andumy, Did you just project the image over your model? You don't learn much by doing that.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in:

sven_pc%20noob_01.jpg

1 hour to that point.

Just got ModoSE so I am trying to use it for everything start to finish if possible. Probably have to photoshop at least the promo, and maybe some material touch ups.

I decided a 4 piece breakdown was the best approach. By floating the blade spine I can save a lot of tris on the low and keep the edge nice and round.

I traced out the blade, extruded it and booleaned the hole. Same for the spine.
    Handle is a cylinder that I bent/scaled/edited a bit. Really couldn't think of a more elegant approach.
    Not worried about tris as I plan on using hard edges and p-subs, they come out great!

The wrap is just a bent box. I plan to sculpt it since I need practice at this very thing. And I'll probably sculpt the handle just a little to make it more organic (I have edge loops to scale for the separations in the wraps.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Had a bit of change. 628 tris
    2hmjynn.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    @nannou,i projected the image just as reference :D,i'll bake it and i'll paint it with maps on the retopo so there will be fun :D
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys while I was using the first base mesh those triangles were making headaches for me and were not letting me make a smooth inflation.Here:
    28be9v8.jpg
    That's why I decided to make a new base mesh. but then at the end I decided to go on with the first sculpt and used dynamesh to solve that problem. Is there any other way of solving that problem?
    Here is the final sculpt:
    2psj2mp.jpg
    I felt like changing the design of straps of the handle (not sure if that's alright).
    Tomorrow I will be doing my very first poly painting :D
    Thanks a lot for this Belkun. It was a really good idea
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FlashL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2oey.jpg

My high poly is now complete, any input?

Some really neat work here, especially TeriyakiStyle.

@reza, I'm not sure the handle strap is working in your favor, it reads a lot like rope - if I was Sven swinging that sword, my hands would be torn to shreds!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @FlashL

Looks really really solid! The shapes all read very well, it's not over or under detailed. Nice job!

@Reza

I agree with Flash, it does look like rope. I think that it's okay to vary a bit on the concept, but it looks like it would be really uncomfortable to wield the sword with some thick rope.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work guys all of you.
    I just realised there is no scratches in the sword so only think in high poly is handle parts. Maybe I should continue as well.
  • FlashL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    @TeriyakiStyle

@FlashL

Is that modo? Anyway, it looks pretty solid! No major issues I can think of :D

Sorry mate, I missed the mention - yeah, modo Steam edition. & Thanks! I have work today, but I'll be planning on finishing up tomorrow evening.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Reza - I'd advise separating those parts for use in zbrush. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Thought I'm not familiar with that work flow, but I tried to do that too. The problem was that I lost the borders since the creasings will not be imported to Zbrush (from blender):

k38vma.jpg

And if I crease and subdivide it in blender, I lose the sharp edges:

mr3iiv.jpg

I'd appreciate it if you tell me how I can solve these.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reza, Add edge loops close to an edge line on all the areas you want creases.
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/06/21/tips-creating-sharp-edges-modeling/

The method I'm talking about is under the proximity loops section.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I'd say add edge loops to the base geometry or do a few subdivisions with smooth turned off.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I see!
    I'll try it and post the results here later.
    I gotta go get someschool works done. To be continued ...
    302bf4k.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle
    How did you get your polygroups to be super accurate with 'Groups By Normals'. I can't I keep getting these very small polygroups that are basically behave like artifacts.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Reza

You need to crease the edges that I highlighted in green to maintain that hard edge.

DbAcvK7.jpg

You tried to export the creased mesh into ZBrush using an OBJ right? That's the problem, OBJs don't save crease information. I don't know if there's something similar on Blender, but on Maya you can just use GoZ to get the mesh into ZBrush with creases. Alternatively, you can do as GhostDetector said, ditching the creases and going the way of using support edges.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Perfect! Thank you
    EDIT: What about that Zbrush issue? How can I solve that one?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The smoothing issue? Check if the vertices are connected, add a crease/loop there and if it is still not solved try just extruding it inwards or merging it with that inner yellow circle extrusion (which looks like you created separated from the blade).