Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bathhouse portfolio project

Thaurdol
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
Hey all. After finishing my first whole UDK map ( thread link ) I've decided to go for a smaller scene that will be just for beauty, no gameplay intended. Some months ago I visited a private spa with my girlfriend and since then I've felt like modeling something neoclassical/fantasy theme of a bath house. Another big source of inspiration I got from recently replaying Wither 2 (a refresh game to prepare for Witcher 3!) where there was an awesome bathhouse scene.

Here is my moodboard that I've compiled over the last two days. Will start slowly working on a blockout in UDK soon and planning modularity.

vokt.png

Replies

• urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Nice collection of reference, will be interesting to see what comes out of it :)
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    The bottom right reference gives me chill! I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together.
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update with a blockout I'm building in Max, its made to fit the grid in UDK. Its still very experimental, trying out shapes and different kinds of open spaces to reach a certain mood.

g1hi.png
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.

Since I'm now on a holiday for a bit from any uni work I decided to make the jump from Mudbox to Zbrush. perfect time to learn as much as possible with no other stress factors or deadlines knocking on my door. So heres my 1st Zbrush sculpt turned into a UDK asset. Baking times included this piece took me about 5 hours in total, mosh of which took place in Zbrush trying to learn the interface and brushes.

fj3t.png
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on my pillar / arc
    o2gk.jpg
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My holidays are over soon as my last semester begins. I didn't really get far with this project during this holiday of mine. Partly because of taking time off to learn Zbrush and also to take time off work in general to actually relax and not be sitting behind my laptop. I still do plan to finish this project off. Will just see how much work I have with my uni courses first.

Anyhow heres two screens from max where the project is at its current state. There are still 4 square areas that I need to fill with a tileable sculpt and trim off the intersections. The room will not be square. I already had a dome like structure but I deemed it not worthy enough and going for a more complex shape that is yet to be blocked out. Some props have been textured while others are just at NM/AO stage.
    4noa.jpg

yzbc.jpg
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres two renders as updates. Scene is at 50k tris and still in 3ds max. soon as I'm done with the major architectural assets I'll start moving this scene into UDK. At the moment, mostly the roof and some wall pieces needs more work both mesh and texture wise.

wd2f.jpg

rpyh.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along really well. It's a bit uniform at the moment though, will you add colour to your textures? The normal detail looks cool but it's all a bit brown. Lighting could help of course but I guess it also comes down to whether it's an old unused bath, if it's overgrown, if it's in use etc. Having said that, some colour would be nice, even if it's just some trims here and there.
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comment, I seem to not get much feedback anywhere on any platform I use to post my works.

It is indeed quite uniform and not the final version of colour or material wise. At the moment I'm speeding through the process of creating the big picture using pretty much the same texture style and colour all around. Working on getting this into UDK now and once I have the level boundaries and layout set I will do a 2nd pass of work on all the texturing.

I do plan to make it a bit overgrown and abbandoned, but all in good time :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, it can be hard to get traction sometimes. It's a good start but I'd almost go for a clean white diffuse and some simple lighting (Mirrors Edge comes to mind) if you're only working on the details at the moment. Making it all brown and a single omni/default light takes away from the work you've done. You can achieve some nice effects in Max with shadows, ao etc. It would be nice to see your scene spruced up a bit :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really cool.
    I love the detail and sense of scale.
    Your mood board and description are giving a good sense of where this is going.
    Can't wait to see this progress :)
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Sweet reference and good progress. Try to remain positive even if you feel it's taking a while to take shape - like you say, you're learning the tools.

I like the details in the piece, though as mentioned already, the lighting and colour of the texture detracts from the work put into it.

Get it into UDK as quickly as you can and start experimenting with the lighting to obtain the mood you want. The majority of your reference is warm and inviting so perhaps that's something to aim for. Think about reflections/caustics around the room as these will bring the piece to life.

What about colour on the wall details? Gold trims, brass, copper, silver? There's lots you can achieve through the diffuse and some specular. I recommend taking a screengrab and try to composite elements from your reference into the scene. It's snice quick way to assess what's needed.