Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4} Medieval Interior

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ScottP polycounter lvl 10
Hey all,

Spent a few weeks working on this in UE4. Still needs a bit of work with the lighting, atmosphere, and god rays. Was hoping to get some feedback or crits so i can wrap it up. Thanks!

BjfNUPe.jpg
0zVgGIk.jpg
icr2Kvn.jpg

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Very nice work! Loving the atmosphere, can't wait to see how this ends up :D
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Nice but it's very noisy. Eye can't really rest anywhere. I think its mainly in the diffuse textures!
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    Nice but it's very noisy. Eye can't really rest anywhere. I think its mainly in the diffuse textures!

Yeah i was going for really grungy, but it could be a number of things such as detail textures or even the anti aliasing as well.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome man! Saw a video getting passed around a few days ago of this.

Overall this looks killer. If I had to nitpick:

The reflection on the metal rims of your barrels seems a little strong/smooth. Makes them look significantly cleaner and newer than everything else in here.

I agree with PogoP a little bit on the noisyness. I think going for grungy is cool, but like PogoP says...might be with your diffuse/albedo. Maybe an example is how the water stains/streaks on your walls are really visible in areas with no light, like directly above the windows near the ceiling.

I can tell from these shots that there is a specific direction the player is supposed to go..especially in the first shot. Might be kinda cool to lessen the amount of cracked concrete and rock chunks there are in the the path leading across the screen. Maybe clean that part up just a tad to really guide the eye across the path.

Again, nitpicky things. Good stuff.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Again, looking awesome so far. When I first pulled this up with the images scaled down I thought it looked spectacular (still do btw), but I think it definitely loses something when you get a closer look.
    A lot of this lies in how much you are trying to push in the diffuse; in parts it's so overwhelming you can't quite read what the normals are doing. I'd pull back some of the detail in the diffuse, maybe even start with solid colours and put more detail in the roughness and let the normals do more heavy lifting.
    I think what is working exceptionally well and what really works well on initial viewing (squint test) is the composition of the shots and the colour scheme (I love the blueish fog receding in the background).
    Really great job so far!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Could possibly be the detail normal maps, as you said. It's honestly the only nitpicky thing I have with this scene, it's otherwise very good! Nice work man.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice! I think image compression is actually hurting you quite a bit. Subtle greys and dark colors fall apart under heavy jpg compression.

It looks like a few of your lights, specifically the torches don't cast shadows. The lack of contact shadows is hurting the readability of shapes.
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing work here !

PS: Press F9 for a screenshot without the beta number/name (also you can configure a shortcut in the preferences to run the High Resolution Screenshot utility) ;)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey bro! Like I said in the WAYWO thread, this is amazing! The first picture, the arch in the upper right, it looks like the flat wall texture is blending in beautifully with the corner of the arch. Was that some painful UVing and texturing, or is the shader procedurally blending those together?

Seamless%21.png
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I believe there is a seam there, you can tell the bricks don't match up perfectly. I do have the wet drips running down bricks as part of the shader, and that would be the only thing procedural.

What i think is happening here honestly is just the power of how UE4 handles physically based materials and reflection environments, which means the diffuse itself has very little to no lighting information (such as pre baked AO or specular highlights) and the deferred renderer makes seams less noticeable because of this since it is primarly color information and the reflection environment that is blending.

I noticed this on other objects as well with seams, they are only really noticeable if the cross border seams are very different and even than it doesn't stand out as much as i would have expected.

With that mesh i tried my best to match the bricks, so its probably a combination of PBR and the procedural wet drops i have that accumulate on Z faces of the normal and meshes.

So yeah, no fancy procedural blending here, just new features of UE4 making things easier.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think the composition of the first image is far more effective than the second two images. The first image has a bunch of dark areas to rest your eyes as you move around and is more interesting. The other two images just have a ton of stuff going on which makes it hard to really focus anywhere or rest your eyes anywhere.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    It's looking good. I love the first shot the most but it needs a focal point bad. 6B6we.png
    I agree with the above on the noisy textures. It feels almost like it's so much you can't really enjoy one part of the images, instead everything is fighting for your attention.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I have two questions:

1. Did you manage to over-ride UE4's "metalness" shader workflow? (ie, did you work with a full colour spec, or the metalness mask?)

2. If you did use the metalness workflow, how did you find it on a large scale environment?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    UE4 doesn't support color spec. All reflections colors are based on diffuse map.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I know it doesn't out of the box, i just haven't had much chance to play around with the material editor yet to find out if you can use your own custom lighting.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Custom Lighting is not present currently. Since shading is deferred you don't have access to lights in the Base Pass.
  • Hoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job, quite a classical subject, but nicely executed :) I agree about the overall noise, you might want to rework a bit your diffuse / specular, but this is already a killer piece ^^
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I know it doesn't out of the box, i just haven't had much chance to play around with the material editor yet to find out if you can use your own custom lighting.

You can't. Moving to deferred pipeline entirely, effectively cut possibility of using custom lighting, which requires forward rendering path.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice but...
    MY EYES THEY HAVE NO REST
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Did I miss something... did UE4 get released?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    ^only to a select few^
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Overall the scene looks great except what was already brought up (noisiness and no focal point).
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Once again agreed about the noise and focal point. What would help with a focal point is figuring out what happened here. Looks great though, I'm looking forward to more updates.
  • JorgeBarros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorgeBarros polycounter lvl 8
    This is great, ScottP!

I have to agree with what people are saying, there isn't quite a focal point, everything pops up to the eye. But hey, if this is meant to be played, not just to be looked exactly as it is, I guess it could work! :)

Brilliant work, seems like it may have given a ton of headaches!
    Are you working on this alone?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    iniside wrote: »
    UE4 doesn't support color spec. All reflections colors are based on diffuse map.

Energy preserving, physically based deferred. They've even stated "forget your custom lighting art direction, all physically based!"

Which, I mean does prevent some things. But mostly it's just extra work for little apparent affect. At least that's my own opinion.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Great work

Btw how did you get hold of ue 4?
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for lack of updates. The feedback has been really helpful and I should have a update within a few days.

As for the focal point thing, I have to admit this is something I overlooked. The primary reason being entire level is meant for gameplay (and cinematic) so I built the lighting scheme based on what I thought looked best on enemy placement and gameplay flow more so than portfolio work.

As for how I got UE4, like I mentioned this environment is for a actual game being worked on by a team and is not for portfolio work.

I'll post a gameplay vid in the near future to help with feedback. Thanks again!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    JordanW wrote: »
    Custom Lighting is not present currently. Since shading is deferred you don't have access to lights in the Base Pass.

Okay i understand that, but there really is no reason not to allow full specular ranges as an option, the math change is so simple it's actually scary that it isn't already in.

the line of math would currently look like:
    Specular = 0.02 * (1 - metalness) + albedo * metalness;
    Diffuse = albedo * (1 - Specular) * (1 - metalness);

what it's doing here, for the benefit of those who don't know: (source here is the UE4 tech paper, i'll grab a link later) is giving any black areas in the metalness mask a specular value of 0.02, and any white areas a specular value of whatever is in the albed. it's then energy conserving the diffuse (albedo * (1 - specular)) and making the diffuse black wherever there is metal present.

to change it is incredibly simple, allow a coloured specular input, and then change the code to:
    Specular = specMap;
    Diffuse = albedo * (1 - specMap);

I guess what i'm trying to say here, is that the excuse of "everything is deferred, no custom lighting" doesn't hold any water in this particular argument. sure, maybe i should have rephrased my question before and asked why there isn't coloured specular available as an option instead of custom lighting. i understand why there isn't any access to lights in a deferred pipeline. i don't understand why there is no option for fully coloured specular. it basically feels like epic is saying "this is your workflow, no deviance". and that will hurt you in the long run.

locater16 wrote: »
    Energy preserving, physically based deferred. They've even stated "forget your custom lighting art direction, all physically based!"

Which, I mean does prevent some things. But mostly it's just extra work for little apparent affect. At least that's my own opinion.

your opinion is wrong. the metalness workflow is actually less work to do, but it also gives less choice for artistic direction. as for the quote... having a metalness workflow is NOT the same as being physically based.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir, you have to consider there are a lot of reasons for decisions like this. One example would be gbuffer channels. Colored specular vs Scalar is a matter of 2 additional channels.
  • PetarZvezdanov
    Looks awesome man, i really like cathedral/catacomb types of environment and this one looks great!Can't wait to get my hands on the new UDK
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    JordanW wrote: »
    almighty_gir, you have to consider there are a lot of reasons for decisions like this. One example would be gbuffer channels. Colored specular vs Scalar is a matter of 2 additional channels.

of course, but why wouldn't you leave that choice up to the developers who're actually going to be using the engine?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Okay i understand that, but there really is no reason not to allow full specular ranges as an option, the math change is so simple it's actually scary that it isn't already in.

the line of math would currently look like:
    Specular = 0.02 * (1 - metalness) + albedo * metalness;
    Diffuse = albedo * (1 - Specular) * (1 - metalness);

what it's doing here, for the benefit of those who don't know: (source here is the UE4 tech paper, i'll grab a link later) is giving any black areas in the metalness mask a specular value of 0.02, and any white areas a specular value of whatever is in the albed. it's then energy conserving the diffuse (albedo * (1 - specular)) and making the diffuse black wherever there is metal present.

to change it is incredibly simple, allow a coloured specular input, and then change the code to:
    Specular = specMap;
    Diffuse = albedo * (1 - specMap);

I guess what i'm trying to say here, is that the excuse of "everything is deferred, no custom lighting" doesn't hold any water in this particular argument. sure, maybe i should have rephrased my question before and asked why there isn't coloured specular available as an option instead of custom lighting. i understand why there isn't any access to lights in a deferred pipeline. i don't understand why there is no option for fully coloured specular. it basically feels like epic is saying "this is your workflow, no deviance". and that will hurt you in the long run.

your opinion is wrong. the metalness workflow is actually less work to do, but it also gives less choice for artistic direction. as for the quote... having a metalness workflow is NOT the same as being physically based.

Just describing their thinking behind why they did what they're doing. I think Fortnight supports colored spec, so I don't know why they don't allow others to do so. But there was someone definitely going for the "all physically based" and thus no alternate color spec route over at Epic.

Maybe if enough people complain they'll enable it for everyone. As you pointed out its not like they can't, it's just that they don't want to. And of course any custom specular, or any other such thing, is more work, of only a little. I think that's their reasoning behind disallowing such.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work ScottP, your work on chivalry is also sweeeet. Looking forward to seeing this flesh out more.

side note- calm down almighty_girl. I think epic know what they are doing, considering it's still in dev. Stop ruining so many thread with arguements.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I wont pretend to understand all of the technical restraints the EU4 team is dealing with (as Jordan says there is always a lot more to it than it may seem), I am going to jump in here and agree with The Mighty Girl on the metalness point.

Using a metalness map as apposed to a specular map, provided your shader takes energy conservation into account, its not any more or less physically accurate. Metalness is simply a more efficient (memory wise) function as you can pack a metalness map into 1 8 bit channel vs a a 24bit image for a full color spec. A full color spec map is more flexible and gives you more control over the specific reflectivity values (though how many assets actually need that extra control is likely pretty small).
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow great work! so much detail on the scene, but I do agree with the others. Needs a focal point. Looking forward to your next update
  • Mouhsine Adnani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mouhsine Adnani polycounter lvl 7
    wow man, this looks freaking awesome !
  • Recreat4