Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daew's Rat - Blizzard Student Art Contest

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daew polycounter lvl 9
Heya Polycount,
I've recently decided to make an entry for the blizzard student art contest, but before i start I'm going to drop some disclaimers lol

I am not very familiar with WOW apart from reading some lore and drooling over the art.
I don't live in the United States or Canada so I'll just be doing my own thing for fun and of course learning purposes.
And I'm still very new to modeling

With that said any feedback is most welcomed :)

Requirements:
Character or creature with some clothing/armour.
6000 polys
1024x1024 texture
contest can be found here:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university-relations/contest.html

My character is a an escaped lab rat. Due to experimentation he has grown to an abnormal size and gained increased physical attributes. He has a mutated ear that he cut off from his body and uses as a light source. He catches rats for money but unbeknownst to his employers he tames his brethren and keeps them on his person.

UPDATE

blizzRat_Daew_wip14b_zpsb2154663.jpg

And long post go!

daewRat_wep2_01_zps9d510aa8.jpg
BlizzRat_Daew_wip1_zps02643a71.jpg
BlizzRat_Daew_wip2_zpsb65727b3.jpg
daewRat_wep1_01_zpsddcc9c94.jpg

Wireframe:

BlizzRat_Daew_wip3_zps2b4947c9.jpg

And Questions!

Trying to understand deformation and triangles.

- Triangles/vertices and edges are added to keep the form as parts move?
In my case a middle loop is used to retain the elbow as the limb bends, the triangle with the two edges stops inward collapsing?
I'm guessing this is for low poly situations where I cant add anymore quads.
I found the triangle direction varies in different models even if the limbs bend the same way.

BlizzRat_Daew_wip5_zpse5f33b5c.jpg

Sorry for the long post! i'll try reduce em in the future

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Its a cool model but, I don't really get the design. I mean he has armored Pauldrons on his shoulders as if ready for battle, but also seems to be wearing a gentleman's top hat, which I imagine would make him look more like an NPC in a city. However WoW has some pretty crazily designed characters so it might work :) I think the hands and mainly the feet could be exaggerated a bit more to fit in with the stylisation. Nice so far!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Make the proportians bigger, especially the legs.
    In WoW everything is "big".
    I have to admit at the moment this don't scream "WoW" to me.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I admit I've been playing the design real safe when should be aiming for bolder statements. With the top hat I tried to aim for a kinda alleyway rat but i didn't really pull it off :P
    Thanks for the feedback :)

hopefully this is bit better, the ear needs more tlc

blizzRat_Daew_wip9_zpsd0b13579.jpg

blizzRat_Daew_wip10_zps4d1a3baf.jpg

blizzRat_Daew_wip11_zpse1b8e607.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    If I'm being honest I like both your options, you could either go with a 'street rat shady merchant' type character or something more battle hardened like what you have going with the armor.

If it was me, I'd personally go with the former, have light or no armor and have him in a top hat and long jacket, which is kinda ripped or worn.

The only reason I'm saying go for the merchant design over warrior is because I can imagine him as a vendor at somewhere like the darkmoon faire selling poisons or shady stuff like lockboxes that can either contain great items or junk :D anyway I'm rambling, just my 2 cents!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work so far actually, aside from you "playing it safe" as you say, I think with some really nice texture work you could have a solid contender if you were in the US (Personally think those rules suck). I really like the idea, and think that something like this could easily fit into the WoW world. He could be some sort of black market trader, spy, or something related to being sneaky.

Also, in your lore you say he cut off his ear, but in your current model he still has his ear. Would be cool if you added some asymmetry with that lore aspect (love it btw), and really pushed that story aspect.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    @Torch Thanks for the suggestion, looked at the darkmoon faire and I think i will go for that vide :).

@Add3r ah heh his "ear" is on his back :p. Its going to be magical and stuff.

Again thanks for the feedback :)

Slowly working on this and learning lots
    Some questionable uving and mirroring choices and realizing how important topology is, not just for deformation but pretty much for everything lol.

And i think the deadline for the contest is over, not too sure but the primary focus for this was to create a model to completion so i'll keep working on this little guy.

blizzRat_Daew_wip12.JPG

blizzRat_Daew_wip13.JPG
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Very cool man, he really looks the part! Personally would push for more of a bluey-green to complement the lilac, the gold looks great :)

3ov03qP.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I gave Connor a similar point on his Blood scarab project - you can try to mix up the colors a bit more on the skin/fur so its not just a block beige or yellow. If you look at Firstkeeper's Thunder King work on WoW - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128955&highlight=thunder+king

...the orc for example isn't just green, but a mix of other colors like Blue on the Feet and yellow in the muscle cavities.
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    its a troll not an orc :P but i agree with torch , keep up the good work il be following this
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Oh boy, progress is slow on this guy.
    Read Firstkeepers Tutorial in the vertexhd pdf and found out I was viewing my model all wrong and in retrospect...makes a lot of sense since i'm painting a diffuse only. So now I'm viewing my model with flat lighting. Also incorporating mudbox into my workflow makes things a whole lot easier.

Still needs more colour variation i know but i think il do that later down the road so it's easier to control :p

Vertex hd vol1 pdf found here :http://www.artbypapercut.com/
    did not know there was a vol2 until now :O. so excite

blizzRat_Daew_wip14JPG_zpse02edada.jpg
    blizzRat_Daew_wip14b_zpsb2154663.jpg

@Torch thanks for your continued feedback and that paintover, it's super awesome. I cant seem to get my folds right but i think thats cause of my topology which I need to be more careful with in future models ^^.

@ducckz thanks for following sorry for the slow progress lol.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Your at 6000 triangles with that? share the new wire frame so we can help with that i mean it is probably too late now since your texturing but i'd still like to know where the triangles are at with this guy.

Nice work so far.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Coming along nicely man, good stuff!