Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Zbrush Character - Wes Carrick

Hey guys! I started a thread for this character a while ago but got frustrated with it and I lost the thread. It sucked anyhow. I'm setting a pretty do-able goal for myself this time around. I want to finish this character before I leave for Halifax on feb 14th. With that in mind I really want to get some good crits, feedback and workflow tips from all you wonderful polycounters!

Wes_Vest_3_zps3c5175f0.png

Replies

• Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the full body. Ive changed some of the proportions to make him less stocky and I feel good about the new direction. Thoughts?

I'm also getting some strange artifacting when I do bprs and when changing subdivison levels with layers. Not sure whats causing that but if you have ever encountered anything like that I would love to know how to prevent it!

Wes_Vest_4_zpsdc737825.png
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's the original concept I was working off of.

Wes_Concept_11_zps631e0965.png
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice work! I don't think it would hurt to give the bandolier some weight, though. It sorta just sits there. You could imagine a slight sag, or if it was tight, some shirt folds leading to that area.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure about the changes to the proportions to be honest. I think the longer, thinner legs and smaller head are making him look a bit awkward.

Beyond that, the model's looking really solid.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with jackblade. When I first looked and saw your full body sculpt the legs looked awkward instantly. The neck is really long, I understand that its like that in the concept but it looks a little weird. Maybe bulk up the traps and it will even out a bit?
    Very cool character and you are kickin butt!
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. I'll try to adjust some things and see where I end up. I think where I had the legs before this thread were too short and maybe i overcompensated. I'll try to find and happy medium and also see what I can do about the awkward neck area too. As for the bandolier, not sure how much effort I'll put into that at this point, but its something to keep in mind for finishing touches maybe.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it really helps. Cheers!
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I did some work on the face and During that I messed around with the length and thickness of the legs and I also did some stuff to the neck. Did It help?

Wes_Vest_5_zpsaf57406f.png
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    nice concept and model :) I am glad about updates
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Has a bit of "Fortnite" from EpicGames.
    Very Nice! :)
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, glad you dig it.
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of recent updates on here. Worked on doing a retop of the face to even up some geo and to add in a mouthbag and some teeth. Hopefully later tonight I'll have the full detail sculpt for the face done! Crits welcome as always.

Face_Smokin_zpsf3dd80a1.png
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's what I have so far for the face detail. Also threw a basic poly paint on there.Crits welcome. Cheers!

Face_Smokin2_zps05fb6974.png
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Looking real good. Polypaint and face detail put so much character into him.

Saw this guy way back and was digging him, I'm glad you brought him back and you're trucking away. Keep at it, he's coming out sweet!
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I definitely had a falling out with this character a while ago. Don't know what made me decide to pick him back up but I'm glad I did. I've learned so much working on this guy already!
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not dead I swear! I've been really busy lately so progress has been sporadic. I didn't want to post again till I had something worth showing.

Wes_Vest_6_zps136053d6.png

Did some more fabric work. Rough folds on the pants are done. I also cleaned up his shoes a lot. They look way better but I'm thinking they are too big at the moment. Getting a clown feel.

Wes_RoboArm_3_zps81a30d07.png

I aslo did a lot of work on the cyborg arm the last few days. To make it easier to work with and to manage the metric shit ton of subtools I find myself with I split the files and am working on the arm separate from the rest of him for now. Should have this wrapped up in the next few days!

Crits and feedback appreciated. Thanks for stopping in. Cheers!
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not dead I swear. Been very busy lately with life and a new job. Been chugging away at this stupid arm when I find the time. I finally got enough progress done to warrant a post in my opinion. Give me your thoughts and feedback, I hunger for it!

Wes_RoboArm_4_zps77c36660.png
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its embarrassing to me how long I've let this thread sit without updating it. Here's the almost done high res models. I want to tweak a few more things then move to creating a game res model and texturing.

Would love to get some feedback before I push forward. Hopefully future updates won't be so few and far between. Cheers!

Wes_Final_zps08924d71.png

Wes_Arm_Final_zpsf3b67bc3.png