Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - Wrecking Crew

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
Just wanted to get an idea down here to lock in my theme. I'm doing a construction site based hole. Your ball will be a wrecking ball. Further details to come.

I've started blocking in some ideas for the level. You will start "attached" to the wrecking ball crane and your first shot will essentially dislodge you, placing you into the level. You'll have to get the timing right to get passed the swinging girders. There's a lot more that I'd like to add, but I really have to restrain myself with the 1024 scene restriction. Best of luck to anyone who is participating, and thanks for having a look!

UPDATE: I've changed my idea around a little bit. I explain my reasoning a little further down the page.

Replies

• Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Another cool idea :D I like the swinging girders, have you considered having the ball swinging on it's chain at the start too?
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi - I'm not really sure what we're allowed to do in terms of animation, but I think the swinging ball is a neat idea. Maybe it will smash through a brick wall before you take your first shot? Excited to explore different ideas.

Last update for the night, I really need to sleep on all these ideas so I don't overwhelm myself. "Blueprints" for the level. I wanted to have a high risk, high reward alternative path to the hole. I will try and make use of a storm drain, or concrete tubing to create a harder path. The basic path has you travelling over a scaffold as you drop below into a dug out foundation. The hole will be behind some dirt mounds.

8cNehTj.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished setting my course up. I've already got a lot of it up and running in Project Anarchy. Still some collisions meshes to work on and the exact placement of certain obstacles to figure out.

Just about all of my modeling is finished. Just a few more debris items and it's there. Mostly texturing work to do over the next few weeks. I'm really enjoying this contest!

That white drain in the top right picture is the shortcut. There's a bit of a hill sitting in front of it, so you'll have to really watch the power of your shot if you want to be able to get it in. It leads to the black tube you can see in the bottom right picture. I'm thinking of having it very slightly swing back and forth (rotation) so it isn't a guaranteed in.

ggpwtzU.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge update, I've completely rethought my layout. I was unhappy with the idea of hitting a ball through a construction yard; it seemed too cluttered. I'm changing it to a construction site themed mini golf hole. I will figure out some things to add/change tomorrow. I will still have the difficult shot shortcut at the second gap you can see in the image.

Here is my new layout.

cP9QryF.png
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playtest update: Have my basic layout up and running in Project Anarchy. Still a few collision problems (mainly with the walls and hill) but I think that's out of my control momentarily. I've switched my mesh over to anticlockwise welding and it's at least giving better results. Still a long road ahead, time to build it.

http://youtu.be/om-wn0Ee4sY
  • Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Preston polycounter lvl 6
    Already Looks so good!!! Cant wait for this one!
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get my textures in place. Still a lot more to go, but I'm finally getting into full swing so I should be getting a lot finished in these upcoming days. So far, here's my swinging girder, and my grass/turf. I've also started on my buildings textures.

I'd also like to give a solid thanks to Ryan (MangledPoly) for helping me out with all of my issues in Project Anarchy. You rock!

9lcJGTj.png

uFVaesI.png
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew, been a while since I've update this, but I've still been working hard at it. I've finalized my models, all that's left is texturing and getting everything lit properly in Project Anarchy. Have yet to decide what I want my ground texture to be, and I need to do something about a skybox. Really enjoying working on this, I've learned so much about texturing environments and managing materials.

The course is playable in it's current state, and it is quite the challenge!

eVn8MmP.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun little texture update for today. Still pushing ahead.

bt4NF3j.png
  • dustykhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dustykhan polycounter lvl 5
    Is that a cement mixer shortcut I spy..?