tumblr_mz27qlc51N1suqbi7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz27qlc51N1suqbi7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz27qlc51N1suqbi7o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz29usMHKb1suqbi7o1_1280.jpg

Replies

• Doran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff! Just finished this game yesterday, gorgeous game and very good.

Really dig that Kenway armor.
  • Judgernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super inspiring stuff! Great work!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah the armor is top notch. Thanks for sharing!
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Love this game, awesome details on the clothing
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    I love assassins creed, the models are fantastic. How many tris on average are those characters, and what are the size of the texture maps?
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Great work! that's really cool!
  • sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sparrow polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work. the textures are really really nice. can i ask what the texture size is for these.
    Thansk
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Mathieu Goulet,

Really inspiring work ! Finished the game over the holidays :)

Any chance you could share some more images ? I would love to see a shot of the high poly of the mayan Armour.

Could you tell me some more about the workflow for the costumes?
    Do you use software like Marvelous Designer for the cloth,or sculpt everything by hand ?
    And how do you achieve the really nice stitching on all of the costumes ?

All these cool images make me want to boot up the game again, and run around in that mayan armour :poly124:
  • MagnusLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! The texture size is 2048 x 2048 for the body, scaled down to 1024x1024 in current gen, and full size in next gen!

For the stiches, I painted them in Photoshop and then put a tiled fabric normal map overlayed on top of the existing normal map, only where the stiches appear, don't know if it's clear haha!

Also the number of tris is around 12k per character, excluding the head and hair.

I used Marvelous for complicated pieces like blackbead's red belt, but most of the characters are sculpted.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Great work! Any chance of seeing some wireframes and texture flats?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    fuck, awesome.
  • edwardsomatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stunning work, my jaw dropped setting Black Flag to max settings, I spent most of my playthrough running around examining the environments honestly ha.
    Yeah, breakdowns, texture sheets and all that would be a dream, if you can make that happen i'll be the happiest girl in Springfield.
  • MagnusLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cannot show any texture maps unfortunately, we can only show finished work and sculpts.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yes, awesome! Been playing it a lot recently and was hoping for a character showcase, great stuff :D
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Intensely nice work on the cloth, I adore the filigree work!

One thing that's always bugged me in black flag tho is the way alphas display for the hair. :/

The art is awesome tho :)
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a sucker for period piece work. Love the details on the embroidery. I always look forward to the art work from this series.
  • MagnusLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the sculpt of the Mayan armor

cf11.jpg[/URL]
    g8gr.jpg
  • Doran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting the sculpt! Looks great. I'm just self teaching myself Zbrush now and its great to see how some of the pros do it.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Super inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Mathieu Goulet,

Really enjoying the sculpts images of the mayan armour, very educational.

It looks like you sculpted all the cloth pieces on that one, am I correct ?
    Do you use any special brushes or workflows to get the cloth so nice ?

Also do you do any special treatment on your marvelous created cloth to make it work with sculpted pieces ?

Seeing you do a lot of the fine embroidery in 2D I can imagine that the sculpts for both Torres and Blackbeards costumes are quite clean.

Again super inspiring work !
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    What was your process for doing the ornament detail on the jackets and those fancy patterns.
  • Lawrenzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for sharing!
    MagnusLee wrote: »
    Here's the sculpt of the Mayan armor

cf11.jpg[/URL]
    g8gr.jpg
  • MagnusLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey arno Yes i sculpted the cloth on this one, i mainly use standard brush with a -50 focal shift, and clay brush.

And for Marvelous, I import it straight into zbrush, extract it to give some thickness, which also gives me polygroup for the extracted thickness, and then sculpt on it, even if the topology is crap, it gives nice organic look in the end.

BARDLER, I drew them in photoshop, and applyed a layer fx, and then transfered them in normal map and spec.
  • jonathan22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonathan22 polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work :)!!!
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the information Mathieu,

Do you think all the other character artist on AC4 will post their work online also ? Creating an art-dump similar to the ones done for AC 2 and brotherhood ?

Super inspiring, I'm trying to study the AC cloth techniques and those images are your explanations are really helpful.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome job arno!!... mann i need to play this game!
  • MagnusLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they will soon reply on this post! I've asked them
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet stuff. Love seeing the breakdowns for things like this.
  • Amipor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This work is sweet! Well done :)
  • Rhye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linking some of my stuff. I should note that all body part are shared and Edward's face was done by other artists.

Body_Engine_Adewale.jpg

Body_Engine_BlackBarth.jpg

Body_Engine_BlackBarth_Prisoner.jpg

Body_Engine_Jenny.jpg

Body_Engine_Legend.jpg

Body_Engine_Maroned.jpg

Body_Engine_Morgan.jpg

Body_Engine_Sailor.jpg

Body_Engine_Swim.jpg

Body_Engine_Walpole.jpg

Body_Sculpt_Adewale.jpg

Body_Sculpt_BlackBarth.jpg

Body_Sculpt_Legend.jpg

Body_Sculpt_Morgan.jpg

Body_Sculpt_Sailor.jpg

Body_Sculpt_Walpole.jpg
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Wow Rhye,

You just made my day ! Great Art !

You did most of the important characters/ costumes, awesome.

Could you explain a bit more about your cloth techniques ?
    What you do with Marvelous Designer, and what with traditional sculpting.

I can inmagine shapes like the assassins hood being sculpted.
    Could you talk a bit about your workflow, do you work from low sub-division levels up when sculpting cloth?
    Or going in with a clay brush directly on a very high level ? What types of brushes do you use ?

Could you show a higher-res render of the Walpole sculpt render ? That's my favourite costume in the game !

Great work !

Arno
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    notice how all the characters have a necklace... :p I'm wondering why? (this is rhetorical btw)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you very much for sharing gentlemen. Great work!
    Up on the wiki it goes:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceGameArt#Assasins_Creed_4:_Black_Flag_.282013.29

cheers :)
  • Rhye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey sorry for the slooooow reply... I thought my first post didn't worked cause I just registered... I was pissed out closed the window... something like that. But hey! it worked and I didn't even noticed (shame on my for being impatient)

About sculpting cloth. I don't use Marvelous Designer if I don't have too. I'm using it on the stuff I'm working on atm but it's because I was asked to do it so we can share patterns... so I do a base and start with that though at the end it doesnt look anything like it. Not that Marvelous is bad... I've seen some amazing stuff with it but I prefer to have control over my lines, flow and silhouette (that plus I rage/quitted way to often with Marvelous >.<)

My first (and reallllly important) step, is to create a base mesh that will subdivide well. Along with that, I carefully create edge that will follow the seams of the clothing. I do that for 2 reasons. 1st, I cant make subgroup of the different piece of fabric and easily mask some parts to do some nice seam lines. 2nd, having an edge that follow the seams allows me to create a crisp seam without cranking the geometry too high. When you try to sculpt a thin, sharp line that doesn't follow the topology you can end up having jagged lines. You can always crank the resolution but considering some ztool can get heavy quickly, I tend to avoid that.

For the sculpting itself, I use clay brushes (building or tubes) for a really rough sculpt. Play with the rhythm of the folds (use refs!), go heavy handed. When the shapes are there I refine with standard brush and a modified version of Standard brush. The modified version is simply a sharper alpha (don't remember which one) and the Brush Modifier crank at around 70 to get some pinching effect. I use it to draw folds that crease more than they fold. Inflate and DamStandard here and there.

Also I never do fabric details/texture in zbrush because it creates alot of unwanted noise in the baking that is really hard to clean after. You're never sure how compression is gonna behave on fine detail so I keep that kind of detail in Photoshop.

I would recommand 2 tutorial for sculpting clothing.
    Mainly the first part of this one, observation.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/rsm02/

And oddly enough, this one. It's about wrinkles but clothing is like loose skin. It slides, bend and folds following the masses underneath it. Again, the first part, observation, is key.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/891/Sculpting-Wrinkles-in-ZBrush#.UusIevldV8E

And yeah trebor777, alot of necklace >.<

Here's a bunch of other images:
    Head_Engine_HeadAdewale.jpg

Head_Engine_HeadBlackBarth.jpg

Head_Engine_HeadBlackBarthDamage.jpg

Head_Engine_HeadJinLiang.jpg

Head_Engine_HeadWoodRogers.jpg

Head_Sculpt_Adewale.jpg

Head_Sculpt_BlackBarth.jpg

Head_Sculpt_BlackBarth_Damage.jpg

Head_Sculpt_Jenny10yo.jpg

Head_Sculpt_Jenny20yo.jpg

Head_Sculpt_JinLiang.jpg

Head_Sculpt_WoodRogers.jpg
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Rhye,

Thanks for all the great advice. I am definitely going to watch out those tutorials again. And apply those cloth techniques you mentioned on my current project.

I hope you don’t mind me asking again, But could you show a higher-res render of the Walpole sculpt render ? I find looking at 3D scans of fabric or really good 3D models can often be better reference material than actual pictures.

+That's my favourite costume in the game 

All those heads look pretty damn sweet as well.

Cheers,

Arno
  • pes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pes polycounter lvl 14
    I assume necklaces are to hide the seam between head and body model
  • pakukaushik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pakukaushik polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Rhye,

These are some amazing art, I really liked your models, texture. These have inspired me thoroughly.

Would you mind if I ask some question on the texture process?

1) what maps do you bake and what software do you use for making the diffuse map
    2) how you treat those bakes (I mean blending mode, opacity and what is the order of placement of the baked maps)
    3) I case of details do you try to make embroidery pattern and surface details of cloth by ndo2 or using zbrush
    4) Any tips or suggestion for making the cloth texture details (decals, dirts etc)

I hope you find some time to answer these questions and I thank you in advance for your support. Wish you good luck and looking forward to see many more amazing art from you.

Cheers,
    Kaushik Saha