Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2014, let's build a portfolio shall we?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
LATEST
KrUe6K8.jpg

So, what are your resolutions for 2014 Matt? I hear no one ask, well no one along with the standard drink less, eat fewer pizza's and perform less actions to warrant shamefully terrible nicknames, one of them is for me to build a fully fleshed out, populated portfolio.

And so, trying to stick to that, here's a thread to build up some pressure to actually see it through.

Kicking thing's off is something I've been working on for the past few weeks, he's a sith warrior and my first piece of fan art.
Still a fair bit to do, only really got to start properly texturing him today so all feedback is more than welcome; nothing for the moment is really locked in.

8ak7xMD.jpg

hla5EAU.jpg

Lightsaber closeup, first attempt using metalness maps in TB2, I like it. Also, I miss semi-transparency...

11oxH8k.jpg

And finally a wireframe, surprisingly a rather easy retopo on this one, learnt a lot in the last few months which helped make it a much smoother process.

VYc1HwC.jpg

Anyway, cheers for any feedback or comments in advace, here's to a productive 2014!

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I feel like he could use some sort of facial design cause right now he reminds me of Red Skull. Other then that he looks great. The light saber handle is my favorite part of the piece for sure
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Only two things that bug me. The hands are way too big. The second is the skin is looking really gummy. Take a look at these screen from the blur cinematic. Sith skin is much darker and more red/ saturated. Other than that it's looking really nice. The pants are blending too much with the top I think.

Sith_penetrated.png

145573.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase cheers, for the face the plan is to do darth maul style tattoos, so hopefully that'll be enough.

stevston89 I had purposefully enlarged the hands but looking at them again they are somewhat excessive aernt they? I'll reduce em somewhat, and good call on the skin, definitely needs to be darker.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great man. I'm glad you went back and changed the eyes to include much more red. around the iris. I'd really push the eyes and even make them appear a bit bloodshot and veiny, pretty much exactly like the Darth Maul eyes we were talking about.

Are you still thinking of making this guy a Zabrak/Sith cross? I really think some dark side tattoos could look awesome on this guy, it would really give him a bit more character. Quite a lot of Sith had tattoos to strengthen their alignment to the dark side, ie Darth Talon was Twi'Lek and had similar tattoos to Maul, not sure if you're worried about breaking the lore, but its not as if Lucas hasn't done that already.

One thing I would say is that if you ARE adding Dark Side tattoos, with the character's current wardrobe he's going to look very similar to Maul. That's not a bad thing exactly, but if you want to make the character your own you should think about altering the costume slightly so that it's more indicative of The Old Republic as opposed to the film era attire? Just a thought.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw Hey man, yeah still going for the zabrack/ sith mix and the dark side tattoos, been working on that stuff for the last couple days, only today did I get something I actually liked.

And I am trying to go for something more Darth Maul esq, I'm kind of trying to avoid the Old Republic stuff and I'm wanting to stick to the film aesthetic a bit more.

And as far as the eyes go, they're pretty bloodshot at the moment but the eye shell shader is pretty overpowering with all the reflections, need to do some tweakage on that front to show them off a bit more.

G3l4H1Q.jpg

Anyhoo, small update really, just tome texture tweaking and added the horns and tattoos. I've also taken the critiques on board, darkened the skin as far as I want it to go, any darker and it'll all end up blending together with the dark outfit.

Hands are, still massive though, yet to adjust them :P

Close up on the head, tried to make the tattoos make him look a bit more menacing.
    4z3jxVA.jpg

VFgQq3B.jpg

All feedback welcome, cheers everyone!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The only thing that is bugging me right now is the cloth. It feels a bit like a bath robe currently. I think the cloth overlay you have going is just too strong and too much the same across the model. I think it would help to have different aspects to have different cloth types/ textures. Like changing the pants and the strap on the shoulder to have a different directional overlay. Here is some ref to show what I mean. Darth Maul has a ton of different types of cloth with different textures all layered throughout. Liking the zabrack additions and the new eyes.

DarthMaul-SWI122.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 Cheers for the feedback, now looking back at it a bit I can see what you mean to a degree, I don't think I'm gonna go back though just because I don't want to be working on this forever frankly :P
    Also as far as my ref went I was looking a lot more at the original series stuff that Obi Wan wore, which felt more basic like a priests get up. Same goes for the emperors robes, they're pretty plain and scratchy looking, and so that's what I was kinda going for more so than the new trilogy stuff.
    Thanks again though, it's appreciated and definitely something I'll be keeping in the back of my mind when I start working on whatever I go onto after this.

Anyway, update on this, been reworking the scene mostly. found some nice HDRI's and so I gave it a bit of a Lighting change to match. I also worked on the skin textures a bit more, finishing up a proper translucency map and I adjusted the spec and gloss in a few spots.

Oh! and an empire symbol stand for him...

UPDATED: skin feedback

TR_001.jpg

TR_002.jpg

TR_004.jpg

TR_005.jpg

The next and, hopefully, last thing on the list of tasks it to create a variety of props to fill his belt holster loops.
    That's about it for now though, let me know what you think, cheers!

EDIT, now the images actually show up... screw you dropbox!
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    not so sure about the head, feels really "rigid" or plasticy. The clothing is absolutely Phenomenal though.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan Cheers! Now that it's morning and I've rested on it I totally see what you mean, kinda looks a little jellyish huh? So hopefully this is a little closer.

jdJ3ijf.jpg

Hopefully it'll look better once I have a proper sub-dermis map in there, right now its just a solid colour.
  • Harrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harrad polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Matt, Its looking good! Love the detail on the cloth. You might wanna rotate the hands forward and in a bit to follow the curve of the arm, currently they look like they've been snapped off. Or even better chuck a quick rig on him and get him in a proper a-symmetrical action stance.

ie. http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/5/4680/SithWarrior-TOR.jpg

Also the horns look a little stuck on, maybe have the skin all breaking up around them and slight swollen around the edge. Just to bed it all together.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harrad Hey Matt, cheers man! I'm in the midst of building a simple rig for him along with trying to learn IK in maya to help it along a little.
    I need to do some tweaking on the horns but they were pretty stuck on, spent the best part of sunday night sorting out some head topology so now it's a unified mesh, But I'm gonna try and get some more done to them texture wise to make them sit better I think.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To keep myself from going mad, I've started something new while I finish off all the little crap on the sith. Plus, it's time for some dredd(ish) fan art me thinks, so Judge Joker basemesh... Not much else to say really.

EDIT newer update
    EzZV78K.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update.

TqQrpT9.jpg

And for those that don't know what I'm on about this is it, going for a slightly more cartooney look for the face, but definitely using the same costume.

tumblr_ljma0oCQY81qg8i80o1_1280.jpg
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    The hands man the hands!

One of the biggest distractions for me when looking at character models are the hands when they aren't in a relaxed position. It's extremely difficult to make a character believable when his hands are stuck out like he is frozen!

hands-relax-set-1.jpeg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles The hands right now are in that position simply for easier rigging, that kind of stuff will become a lot more important once I get around to posing the characters, but yes I can confess to agreeing to that gripe from time to time when I see that stuff in final poses.

Anyhoo, small update really, just been sorting out a bunch of issues with my anatomy rather quietly, not done too much on the legs really.

However it is still something that's rather new to me, my main experience in the past has mostly been with fully clothed characters, so if you do happen to spot something wrong with my anatomy please do point it out, cheers!

rRedclb.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to the face.

LJelQwa.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing out ideas for this, I ave a fair few projects on the go in different states so that, hopefully, I finish them all roughly around the same time and keep myself entertained enough to actually finish them.

Anyway, I'm fairly happy with this other than the long sleeve, was originally going to have some stuff on the forearm but looks weird having one sleeve rolled up without the other in my opinion.

RikitLC.jpg

Let me know what you think if you have any thoughts, they'd be most appreciated cheers!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a little while since I updated this thread, update on my Judge Joker wip, nearly done with the real meat of the high poly (finally)

QvHkyvK.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been sorting the textures on this.

IHnhQHo.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    De-pinkified his skin a little so he's no longer suffering from a bad case of sunburn, did some work on the hair and I've started working on a harpoon gun for him.

Final thing won't be done up as green plastic, still a lot to do (obviously) but thankfully it's yet to feel like work.

OGsK79s.jpg

S4GrP5A.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated, cheers!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was giving ngSkinTools and AdvancedSkeleton a bash this evening, awesome tools, can't believe they're both free. Actually had fun rigging and skinning this, which might be a first :P

l2YSymd.jpg

Any thoughts welcome, just a nuetral-ish test pose at the moment.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Portfolio building never ends I wish you luck on your adventure. Looks swweet so far :D
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix Thanks! Art fatigue's the biggest hurdle for me personally, doing art in your 9 to 5 then again in the evening can start to wain after a while.

Alright, quick update on this, been working on the makeup and some high frequency details on the skin and metals, it was all looking pretty muddy beforehand with little definition in my opinion.

qtE1WSq.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban Thanks!

I'm going to call this done for the time being, want to start to focus on something new and I'm starting to hate looking at it :P

KrUe6K8.jpg

JxIu7FN.jpg

3xdArm0.jpg

wireframe, final tri count - 23, 809

BNpqbTw.jpg

texture sheets -

[final res - 2048*2048's]
    s2G6dZe.jpg

[final res - 512*512's]
    afJVkE5.jpg

All feedback is welcome, hope you all like it!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Turned out great! I think you have a bit too much lighting baked into the albedo. Also with energy conservation built into PBR there is no reason to have blue specular on skin. Specular map look a bit over detailed as well.

The biggest overall issue though is the teeth. They really could have used geo to make them pop. Baking them down flat really kills the depth and usability of the model.

Still great work overall :)
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 cheers! Yeah was originally getting a slightly too yellow spec for my liking when I was using grey for the spec of the skin, however after some quick tweakage getting the same results with a grey spec, will have to update the texture flats :)

And yeah, he was going to end his life as a posed sculpt, so the teeth were kinda stuck being static when I decided to take it further unfortunately. Was nice to not have to worry about the inner mouth for once though, but I do try to get a proper set of teeth and tongue and what not usually.

Thanks again, useful stuff to carry over to what I do next for sure!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally got my portfolio online, still tons left to do, no resume as of yet and a hell of a lot of work still to go on there but it's a start.

Portfolio

Some images of the work I have on there.

p53wpJh.jpg

ocTVXBv.jpg

1usDDO8.jpg