Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thief 4 Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
JellyBones polycounter lvl 4
Working on this small environment in Cry Engine 3 based on concept art from Thief 4 of an Apothecary.
6PBn95S.jpg
So far this is what I have. I'm Experimenting with a more dramatic blue color palette than the original concept right now and obviously not all the assets are finished or present in the scene yet. Feedback and comments appreciated.
f34bLkM.jpg
0ETOKxJ.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd give the lamps a yellow tint; white light was extremely uncommon before electricity. The lamp texture has a noticeable seam on the right-most lamp in the second picture.

The space between floor boards is quite wide. It's also unlikely that a single plank would be as long as the room; it's more likely that they would be irregular lengths 4-6' long.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    I like the decision you've made to go for a more dramatic blue lighting to the piece, I agree with DWalker about the white lighting a more yellow tinted lighting will do much better plus with the blue palette your using it may really make your scene pop and give it a great feel good luck!
  • JellyBones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, gonna try to iron all this stuff out soon to post more updates!
  • JellyBones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the barrel asset today with some final maps, rendered in marmoset for display purposes here
    42TR0qI.jpg.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Considering the mesh detail of the candle, the barrel could use more polygons. A few edges for the metal bands, maybe a bunghole.

Given this, wireframes of the scene might help reveal other balances.

Also the large watermark is distracting.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    DWalker wrote: »
    I'd give the lamps a yellow tint; white light was extremely uncommon before electricity. The lamp texture has a noticeable seam on the right-most lamp in the second picture.

The space between floor boards is quite wide. It's also unlikely that a single plank would be as long as the room; it's more likely that they would be irregular lengths 4-6' long.

The Thief series has had electricity on occasion, oddly enough. But regardless, a cliche orange and teal or yellow and blue hue/contrasting lighting would look better. Assuming the concept is being used as more of a vague idea than a style guide, as there isn't a whole lot of color in it. Which lends the image to feeling darker than it really is nicely.
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Like where its headed so far.
    Id really recommend doing that awesome cash register next, that will be a difficult prop in itself.
    Also are you planning on including the spiral staircase in the concept? because im not seeing it in your shots and that would be a sweet opportunity to throw in some fill light.
    Keep at it!
  • JellyBones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am actually working right now on the cash register! also some yellow contrasting lighting would look interesting mixed in with the dark blue I suppose. I had something like it a few days ago when I was just messing around with lighting styles and colors, it had a very watchmen color palette thing going on which was sorta neat, so maybe I will revisit something like that. As far as the barrel goes do you all think it should really have more geo for a background prop? Thank you all as always for the feedback.
  • JellyBones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got this guy all set tonight yjmYKH1.jpg