Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Fernery (WIP - Img heavy )

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Hey all, I've been busy lately with this fernery environment. It's all WIP so I appreciated the feedback! I've learned a lot from u all and really hope to push this environment forward :)

ww67.jpg
c9d2.jpg
0cnk.jpg
gvn8.jpg

Thanks for checking it out~

Replies

• Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice but the red triangle in the roof is to bright maybe a darker color or glass. The metal is weird. Brown, Red, white dots and heavy reflections from the angle. Its very confusing. Maybe simple cast iron oder bronze without that heavy specular map.

More variation in the flowers. Its a nice summerday and i only see green and no blossoms. Is it a vegetable farm or a high society flower garden? :poly124:

The door looks little to big and maybe a glass window at the top, the red is disturbing me.

The statue looks to raw and unfinished. For a minimalisitc look it has to many detail and for a detailed statue its have to less. Maybe less details and a art deco look like a oscar statue. In generel i think its hard for a stone statue in this place and dimension with so much iron and so less stone elements. Maybe make the other floor or concrete textures brighter to support the statue.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo > Was planning on adding flowers from the start, it really does look too green, so I sculpted some flowers during lunchbreak~

Liked the idea of adding some white element in there as well to help blend the statue, so made the stone 'cases' more white. I'll also try and work on the Atlas statue's texture, he's been quite the challenge for being my first statue done ever.

As for the fernery itself, when I started it was intended for the building to be cast-iron...then I went a bit crazy with materials and now it's ..well, like this ;P. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow!

Thanks for the feedback!~

Hope u like the flowers ;)

ioh1.jpg

r1n2.jpg

xuyl.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some chairs & tables :)

6bnv.jpg

efcq.jpg

Next up sculpting some (bigger) flowers!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jteu.jpg
    t3o5.jpg
    6gzs.jpg
    9s94.jpg

Any feedback on the inside of the fernery (models/textures/comp/post-process would be very much appreciated :) Gonna start on the outside of the fernery now~
  • dirtyhairy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    lookin pretty awesome! I really like the chairs.

I would say the vibrance of the scene is sort of stealing the thunder of your centerpiece, the statue. Are you planning on coloring that? I think a nice balance of color and values will tie the scene together nicely.

Great work!
  • dirtyhairy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    It might be cool to move the statue up a bit and make the plants sort build up to the base of the statue. Like an ant hill leading to the statue. Should lead the eye well.

Also, maybe double down on the amount of plants you have in general. Make that baby LUSH! :D

Again, lookin awesome man!
  • foredea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow.... You've done very nice lighting! I love it.
    How about put little bit reflection on the glass material?
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is awesome ! This kind of greenhouse environment is on my to-do list for a long time :)
    It's looking really good.

I would maybe paint some moss on the floor benches and everything, but maybe you're looking for a more clean look.
    And also, I think it looks a little bit too "dry". Let me explain, when I enter a greenhouse what usually comes to my mind is how hot and humid the air is. I know it's difficult to reproduce this feeling on a picture and I think you made it well with some mist on the windows but I would add it on the lighting too by having some kind of "godrays" with little particles like in this picture :
    http://joakimolofsson.deviantart.com/art/Greenhouse-337906389
    It add a lot of "humidity" to the scene and atmosphere if you know what I mean :)

Anyway it's only my point of view, keep up the good work, definitely want to see more :poly121:
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great comments guys, I implemented some of them today, so far;
    Reflection on glass , probably more visible in an upcoming vid ;)
    Some veins running up the statue, added fern trees...more lush! Still more pimping to do this weekend and really appreciating the feedback so far!!

ewci.jpg
    6epx.jpg
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice! I agree that you should have some shine/reflection to the glass.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha! Working on a subtle reflec material 2nite! :)

Adding more green stuff and getting some post process in. Lighting improvements as well~
    Any feedback still welcome :)

n08k.jpg
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    The lighting is way better :)

You could add some very small particles in the sun ray.

And you can still make it more lushy !!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankns Sebvhe! I did add some particles to the sun ray, also it looks moar lushy now :) Thank god it's only saturday....night, some more tweaking tomorrow!

a7jv.jpg

ks7e.jpg

f0mt.jpg

x0kj.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, this turned out really great!

Experiment with some ambient fog, maybe it will look cool?
    Vary the greens up too.
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    That looks great, I especially like the chairs. :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) I've got a heigthfog in the background, will check out some subtle ambient fog as well. Forgot to post some props (Skyshop screens)

ztdr.jpg
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Those particles are too bright, they need to be more subtle, like little particles of dust lit by the sunray.
    Your props are awesome !
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Adjusted the particles, also made a little vid;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfW4nN6d7Y"]Fernery - YouTube[/ame]

tx7r.jpg

Thanks for the feedback so far!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more week of polish and I'll be putting this on my portfolio and moving on to something new, any final feedback is very welcome! :D
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    loving this, looks really good!
    i would suggest a warmer, more yellowish light, like it's a hot summer day and there is warmth coming in
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Ronald,

I really like the concept of the scene thus far you've done a great job on the green house structure and props.

The two elements affecting the overall quality of the piece in my opinion are:

The grass assets outside. These look unnatural and would likely be a lot shorter if they were part of a maintained garden. If not some variety in the scale, rotation and curvature of the grass blades would help improve it.

The statue for me is the weakest part of the scene. Stylistically it does not sit well within the environment. In terms of the model itself the proportions and muscle definition are off. I'd be tempted to drop this asset from the scene and instead create a base for the sphere you currently have and keep that as in the image at this URL.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Sphere_before_Sept_11.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I've been struggling with the statue for a long time. I'm not a character artist by any means, I think replacing it with a new base would be worth the time :) I'll see what I can come up with...I admit to being a bit lazy when I was working on the grass, I'll pimp that some more. Cheers :)
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, I know how easy it is to get the urge to finish up a body of work and move on. Sometimes putting on the brakes at the end of a project to honestly asses where you're at and spend the remaining time additional or otherwise wisely will result in less regret later.

If you've already spent 2 months working on it what's another week ensuring it's the best it can be honouring all the work which has gone before :)
  • Twotents
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twotents polycounter lvl 4
    Stunning work! I do agree, the statue seems to be a little out of place maybe? The ball on his back feels too big for the environment, if it's meant to be the center piece of the environment it does draw the eye to it but the white breaks the flow of greens and is a sharp distraction from the awesome foliage. Other than that superb work! I would love to see the wireframes for your foliage :D Keep up the great work
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, I did take a break from this from the last couple nights, which did some good :) Tonight I made a new base for the Sphere and did some lighting/post process tweaks, also updated the sphere texture;

vc26.jpg

/Cheers for the comments!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Love it.

Looking much stronger with the statue change.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say the "stand" could do with being bigger/thicker in scale to hold up a sphere of this size. It looks to weak to support such an object currently.

Also to lift the sphere up about 15% to have it rise above the vegetation below making it more of a focal point.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #bigpostinc, I've updated the stand with a bit bigger shell and also moved it up a bit...think it's better this way :)

yhxd.jpg

Recorded an updated fly-through video;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmWV_qhhS0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmWV_qhhS0[/ame]

Also here's a breakdown on some of the foliage. The plants painted onto the arch and the stand was done by pathing the structure of the plant around a spline and then painting the three seperate leaf planes on top of that using the "Paint Objects tool" in 3Ds Max. Which is a pretty fast way of painting plants on props, ending up around 400 - 800 tris per 'bigger' prop, I think it's worth it.

8ziy.jpg
    62xx.jpg
    ukr8.jpg

Used Zbrush to paint the ferns and flowers, wanting to improve on my zbrush skills;

aiwz.jpg
    u8ar.jpg
    9byx.jpg

Thanks for taking a look :)