Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Action RPG Unity Tileset

VespaWarrior
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
VespaWarrior polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

This is my first post here! :)
I'm looking to post my works in progress here and hopefully get some feedback along the way :)

I´m working in my first Top Down ActionRPG tileset in Unity, hope you liked it and please criticize it!!

tumblr_myyg9ndh4m1t5c6tso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_myyg9ndh4m1t5c6tso2_1280.jpg

Replies

• Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    That's looking really nice. A little blue to balance all the orange might be nice, though.

Is that actually rendered in Unity?
  • VespaWarrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you! I will try some blue :)

Yes, is rendered in Unity with default Unity shaders.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice overall. I think you have way too much ambient light for an interior lit by braziers and lanterns. Shadows would really help but you are probably using Unity free so it would mean rendering your shadows outside of Unity.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vendetti polycounter lvl 10
    dayum, nice nextures. i really like the atmosphere.
    in unityfree, you cann add dynamic shadows within the directional light. theres a checkbox to activate them.
    would be nice to see your single assets, can you post a picture?
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work, i wouldn't bat an eyelid if somebody had told me that was a Torchlight scene.
    Main crit would be that the glow spread from the lights is a bit over the top.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Hey that looks quite nice. The tiling is barely noticeable at all so good job on that. Giving the fog a cooler color would help the environment read better.
    I'm also interested in seeing the individual pieces.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The corners of the columns really don't fit the rest of the scene. I'd also seriously consider promoting them to 8 or even 16 sides, especially for the oblique on on the right side of the first image.

Overall, there are far too many right angles. The sides of the curb don't have to be vertical. Consider adding chamfered corners to the walls. Don't be afraid to spend a few extra polygons to get a round shape in large pieces of geometry.
    914543_20031217_screen007.jpg

On the other hand, you've spent far too many polygons in minor or inconsequential pieces. The chain in the second shot is a prime example - you could have achieved almost the same effect with 2 textured rectangles. The rings on the wall are another example; a single decal in front of the wall would look the same.
  • VespaWarrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG, Thanks guys!

The tileset has around 140 models at the moment, this is an example of my workflow with one prefab. hope you like it :)

tumblr_myze1pTeC31t5c6tso1_1280.jpg

@RyanB: Thanks man, you are right there, gonna try to push the shadows a bit more.
    @Vendetti: Thanks man!
    @Dubzski: Thanks man!, I love Torchlight :)
    @AimBiZ: Thanks man, You right, but gonna try with some blue lights first.
    @DWalker: Thanks man, you are right with the right angles, gonna fix some corners.
    I did the chain with planes but has some problems, I use the chain as a foreground object, something between the character and the camera, and sometimes the chains are really close to camera, for sure in the screenshot 2 planes do the job but I prefer some polys there :)

Hope you liked it! and thanks again for the comments.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    Very nicely done, Vespa :) Love the textures and atmosphere.
    Do you mind showing us some flats? would love to see that :D
  • VespaWarrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thebamboobear Thanx! I like yours hand painted textures! nice cartoon models :)

tumblr_mzd3dxzRXa1t5c6tso1_1280.jpg