Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted tileable textures - Comparison

Hi, I have done a project for uni which involves creating some hand painted tile-able textures using 2 different methods.
The first is just painting the texture the normal way in Photoshop, and the second is using Zbrush, or any other sculpting software to create the 3D sculpt of a texture, then baking out the AO, normal map and height map, and painting over them. Ive basically tried to replicate how WoW and Darksiders do their models.

Im still learning both hand painting and Zbrush so its nothing amazing just a learning project for me.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the textures, and also, for the project Im asking people which texture they think is the best out of the 3. One is the normal way of doing it, one is the sculpted texture but only the diffuse, and the other is the sculpted texture with the normal map and heightmap.

I know there is not much difference between the sculpted wood with and without the normal map, but that's just part of my project and that texture didn't go too well.

the textures are shown in UDK.

Dirt_zps93ee733b.jpgStone_zpsfd6cdbfa.jpgWood_zpsce2e37f0.jpg

Replies