Old (#1)
Hi all, I've been fumbling my way through the dota 2 item creation process over the last couple months. I have two sets complete (although 1 hasn't been approved, and 1 I haven't made public yet).

Here's a link to the Dragon Knight set I submitted a few months ago.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f.../?id=187430383

I'll post the Tusk set I have as soon as I push it public.

Last edited by espaki; 01-01-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Offline , vertex, 37 Posts, Join Date Sep 2013, Location Denver, CO USA  

Old (#2)
I've also got a ward I'm working on for chinese new year and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to export properly. I can get the mesh exported and imported without error, but the animations don't seem to be working or playing.

My (3DS max) process for exporting has been:
1. Select the skinned mesh and bones and export FBX without animations checked.
2. For the animations I've exported with "bake animations" set to the frame range I want. I've also tried without "bake animations" just to see if that matters. I've tried exporting with just the bones selected, and with bones and mesh selected.

My axis/scale/exporter should be working fine otherwise, as I've successfully made several armor bits for different heroes. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong within the animation export process.

EDIT: problem solved, I was exporting a frame range of -30 to 0, which it apparently didn't like. I slid the keys over from 0-30 and re-exported and it worked fine.

Last edited by espaki; 01-01-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old (#3)
I just finished my Chinese New Year ward:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211307245

Anyone know how to add the "spring 2014" tag they mentioned to the item itself? I added it to the collection, but it doesn't seem to come up when you click "view current submissions" for the event.

Here are some zbrush screens of the early stages. The one on the left was my original plan, but I wasn't going to be able to fit it in the target poly count.

Last edited by espaki; 01-01-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old (#4)
the sculpt is VERY nice. but it doesnt look good ingame. maybe its because of the complex modell (nothing to mirror..)
and/or the uv layout is so messed, that the texturequality doesnt go through. also i am not sure about lowpoly and the bake.
it anyhow looks like u lost all ur awesome detail from sculpting

sry mate

Last edited by Shock; 01-02-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Offline , polygon, 587 Posts, Join Date Oct 2013, Location Nuremberg, Germany  

Old (#5)
I agree with shock. High poly doing no work.
Offline , polygon, 574 Posts, Join Date Jun 2013, Location Malatya, Turkey  

Old (#6)
I appreciate the feedback guys-

I know it's not perfect, I didn't really research the ward process well enough beforehand and learned some new things along the way.

Some notes (and perhaps excuses, depending on how you want to look at it :P)

1. Wards don't support normal maps, they are diffuse only (Edit, not true)
2. Don't sculpt in pose, UV's, retop, baking and rigging are all way harder.

This is also the second thing I've ever rigged/animated (the first being probably 10 years ago).

Depending on how I feel, I may go back and correct some of this stuff, but it's so early on in the process I don't know if I have the time or energy to redo it before the 15th deadline. It looks decent from game view, it's all the closeup stuff that doesn't look so nice.

Last edited by espaki; 01-02-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old (#7)
...I'm pretty certain wards support normal maps.
Offline , polycounter, 787 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location MTL / VT / NY / SF / BOS Send a message via Skype™ to heboltz3  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heboltz3 View Post
...I'm pretty certain wards support normal maps.
Is it just via naming convention like armor bits? I didn't see any mention of it in the documentation, importer or sample files.

Old (#9)
they do support normal maps and even masks.
Offline , polygon, 587 Posts, Join Date Oct 2013, Location Nuremberg, Germany  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
they do support normal maps and even masks.
Ok, i'll have to poke around with that tonight after work then. Do you know if it's naming convention that associates them, or do I have to dig deeper into the file format stuff?

Old (#11)
the importer says you should name then X_color, X_normal, X_mask1. They should be tgas as well all in the same directory.

So try, "dragonBro_normal.tga".
Offline , polycounter, 787 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location MTL / VT / NY / SF / BOS Send a message via Skype™ to heboltz3  

Old (#12)
I wonder how did you import it, because the importer should post an error like "droganBro_normal.tga" didnt exist on the document.
Offline , polygon, 574 Posts, Join Date Jun 2013, Location Malatya, Turkey  

Old (#13)
Thanks all, being able to use more than diffuse is awesome news. I feel dumb for assuming it didn't work because their sample ward didn't have a normal or masks.

I may be able to play around a bit on my lunch break and make some improvements.

Last edited by espaki; 01-02-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old (#14)
Everyone makes mistakes, just hurdle over that and keep making art

Old (#15)
That's a very nice set for dragon knight, maybe i'm pointing out the obvious, but the shield and helment really make it look distinctive.
Offline , null, 14 Posts, Join Date Dec 2013, Send a message via Skype™ to RVN gorronegro  

Old (#16)
Quick update: I was able to get the normals and masks working

I hit a little snag where it didn't seem to be noticing the files for import, but it turns out I had to re-select my base texture. doing the "quickload" of import settings was remembering the version that didn't have anything besides diffuse.

My textures and masks need tweaks now, but here's a quick shot of things functioning.

Old (#17)
Latest: I painted a new store icon for this and made some material updates.

I'm uploading some new animation videos and then will re-do the marketing image that I rushed yesterday.

Old (#18)
Ok, I'm calling the ward done for real now.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211307245

I made a promo image as well-

Old (#19)
Looks really nice!
Offline , line, 68 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013, Location Canada  

Old (#20)
Wow, how could I not seen this before. This is most awesome chinese ward I have seen! Most people are making lanterns I think for wards, but what is a piece of paper to a mighty dragon!!
Offline , polygon, 670 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Poland Send a message via MSN to Konras Send a message via Skype™ to Konras  

Old (#21)
Everyone went with dragon couriers and u went with a dragon ward, love the details! Good Job Buddy!
Offline , line, 80 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#22)
Really love the design and execution but maybe you could have had them wrapped around the Seeing Eye. Just as an afterthought, but who cares, it's awesome.

Congrats
Offline , polygon, 620 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Newcastle, UK  

Old (#23)
Can you show us the textures and what's the polycount on your ward? I feel like you could shift the focus a lot, to add more details on visible parts.
Offline , polycounter, 794 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_the_implyer View Post
Can you show us the textures and what's the polycount on your ward? I feel like you could shift the focus a lot, to add more details on visible parts.
It's right at 1499 tris (I had to chop out the backfaces from his feet, lower legs and tail) - some of the geo is a little funky but works and I just went with even texel resolution.

In retrospect I should have dropped a loop from the iris of the eyeball (I re-used their eyeball mesh) so I would have room for teeth and a few more shoulder triangles.

Last edited by espaki; 01-05-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old (#25)
I'm no expert but seeing the way this has been rigged and animated couldn't this have been symmetrically mapped for much larger texture density?

Could you collapse the two loops that define the underbelly because that space is barley visible, even zoomed in?
Offline , triangle, 257 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Australia