Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• CosmosXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I apply a substance effect to a layer, it ignores the AO map I add so there is no effect at all. What am I doing wrong? My AO map seems okay.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    CosmosXXX wrote: »
    If I apply a substance effect to a layer, it ignores the AO map I add so there is no effect at all. What am I doing wrong? My AO map seems okay.
    You should post this in the Substance Painter thread over there:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128707&page=18&highlight=substance
  • CosmosXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    You should post this in the Substance Painter thread over there:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128707&page=18&highlight=substance

Well I'm an idiot. Thanks ;)
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    Hey guys. Im not sure if this question is gonna make sense but, i wanted to know if the way that i am using SD to create textures is correct or not. What I basically do is use bitmaps and sometimes FX maps to create a heightmap. Then I use these maps to derive normals and roughness. I also use these maps as masks to blend between colors to get the diffuse. Here's an example of a concrete floortile that i made.

EOg5piS.jpg
    FMsjLHa.jpg

I just wanted to know if the workflow that im using is correct. I hope what i am asking makes sense.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yup, that's usually how you do it. At least that's how I do it, everyone has its own workflow.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    That's how I do it too!
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    @jerc, @Bruno, cool good to know that i'm on the right track. =)
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Yup, that's what you want to do! :) Always start from the height map. Or..yea ha that's how I do it.
  • opatetn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on my first real project with substance, a Caterpillar 906h construction vehicle.
    InVwfMJ.jpg
  • Boyordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. I just ran into a issue I never had before in SDesigner, I have started to run out of space on my c: drive while working within the designer. The program is not installed on C:....
    Can I assign a different path for substance designer to use for what I persume is temp files or something?
  • Boyordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hermit, but I have checked in preferences and I can not change where this temporary storge is made. At the moment I have a prject that has 8 materials, all in their own graphs only one of them is somewhat comples. Ooutput size is 4096x4096 and it eats up about 20GB of temporary space on C: as a minimum.... is this normal?

IT also takes several minutes to fully load everyhing.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, I've been assigning colors to material IDs to bake out masks. But every time I bring up the baking window my color assignments are gone, while the other parameters are saved just fine. How could I retain the assignments between bakes?
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Had a first go at making a ground texture in SD. Everything is generated apart from a leaf alpha. Makes you realise why the graphs in the sample PBR materials are so complex.

1rgkGEO.gif

2lUslYD.jpg

Breakdown shows the diffuse, roughness, normal and height but I also have it outputting an AO and metallic is just black.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hey guys, I've been assigning colors to material IDs to bake out masks. But every time I bring up the baking window my color assignments are gone, while the other parameters are saved just fine. How could I retain the assignments between bakes?
    Do you mean you assigned the colors in your dcc app on in the baking window? If I set up colors in the baking window, they are saved correctly on my side.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Do you mean you assigned the colors in your dcc app on in the baking window? If I set up colors in the baking window, they are saved correctly on my side.

In the baking window... Mine are not being saved :(
    Another thing - When I moved some graphs to subfolders, SD took care of reassigning paths. But the same doesn't happen with the baked textures, by moving them to subfolders to keep my stuff clean, I lost the paths. Does this happen on your side as well?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'll try the bitmap thing.
    Do you also lose your colors if you go through the "right click on the resource > rebake" path to update a bake?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I've been trying to export TGA's (via "export outputs as bitmaps") that DON'T have an alpha channel by default.

I've tried;
    -stripping out alpha information via RGBA split/merge, before exporting, doesn't work.
    -setting my output usage to "RGB" instead of "RGBA" doesn't work
    -setting my output format to DXT1 doesn't work

Is there some other way to handle this? I feel like I'm missing some really obvious trick or option. I'd like to be able to auto-export images directly to my engine without having to manually delete the alpha channel in photoshop.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    As far I'm aware you can't. Even with a grayscale output you get an alpha channel. The TGA files are always written with RGBA channels.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Any plans of adding material templates which will resamble materials like in Quixel DDO? Of course this require great collection of various textures shipped with Substance Designer, but it will speed up things up.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    They are integrating with gametextures.com. It should roll out in the next few weeks as far as I know. I think the plan is 50 free substance and then more based on gt subscription.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indeed we are planning on shipping PBR materials from gametextures.com with both Substance Designer and Substance Painter. On top of that we are working on some cool new features for SP that will allow us to provide complex material templates like the ones you are referring to.
  • gLitterbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gLitterbug polycounter lvl 5
    I'm currently testing the trial of Substance Designer and the normalmap baking results are fantastic so far. Finding information on the baking less so though. None of the videos I watched actually showed any baking of normalmaps from highpoly meshes and I wonder how I have to bake/would best bake a model comprised of a few parts that are intersecting. Do I have to separate meshes, bake and then assemble the results into one texture myself like I did so far when using xNormal or is something similar to what Xoliul mentioned already possible using just Designer and Material IDs/matching Vertex Colors between low and high meshes?
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Much simpler is the system we had at Splash Damage(custom baking app); use materials on the lowpoly to define which parts of the lowpoly will not have intersecting traces, and give each of them a matching chunk of highpoly, but bake to a single texture. You only need 3 materials / chunks per object really. I do this on my Dozer DVD, 3 were all i needed.
    The best part about that system was that it would never get ray intersection issues, but it would still compute the AO as if all pieces were together/unexploded. It was really great.

It'd be really awesome if I could establish what gets baked onto what by simply assigning Vertex Colors and not having to save out different files to get clean bakes. Or at least assign different highpoly meshes to different objects in my lowpoly file and render it into one texture.

Sorry if I am missing something here, but I tried applying matching vertex colors and material IDs to the low and high poly files, but it didn't seem to have the effect I hoped for.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    cman2k wrote: »
    I've been trying to export TGA's (via "export outputs as bitmaps") that DON'T have an alpha channel by default.

I've tried;
    -stripping out alpha information via RGBA split/merge, before exporting, doesn't work.

Is there some other way to handle this? I feel like I'm missing some really obvious trick or option. I'd like to be able to auto-export images directly to my engine without having to manually delete the alpha channel in photoshop.

Would like this myself.

Also I would be able to tell substance to default to tga for bakes, so I don't have to switch it from png each time and being setting the to default to linked instead of embedded.

One more thing, be able to chose the bake folder inside substance, cause now I have created my own folders inside my graph, but when I bake it makes a new one with the mesh name and all that.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    gLitterbug wrote: »
    I'm currently testing the trial of Substance Designer and the normalmap baking results are fantastic so far. Finding information on the baking less so though. None of the videos I watched actually showed any baking of normalmaps from highpoly meshes and I wonder how I have to bake/would best bake a model comprised of a few parts that are intersecting. Do I have to separate meshes, bake and then assemble the results into one texture myself like I did so far when using xNormal or is something similar to what Xoliul mentioned already possible using just Designer and Material IDs/matching Vertex Colors between low and high meshes?

It'd be really awesome if I could establish what gets baked onto what by simply assigning Vertex Colors and not having to save out different files to get clean bakes. Or at least assign different highpoly meshes to different objects in my lowpoly file and render it into one texture.

Sorry if I am missing something here, but I tried applying matching vertex colors and material IDs to the low and high poly files, but it didn't seem to have the effect I hoped for.

The way I work is:
    I export 3 meshes: Regular low poly, exploded low poly and exploded high poly.
    With the exploded ones, I bake AO, curvature, tangent normals, world space normals, vertex colors (I use them as material masks) etc.

Then with the regular low poly I bake an AO using the previous normal map, and a position map. I blend the regular and the exploded AO maps with a min(darken) blend so I get a nicer AO.

The regular low poly is also the one I use on the 3d view too :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    So, I just installed Substance Designer, and I'm looking for the Samples. I click on Samples at the welcome screen, and it sends me to the My Documents folder... nothing is there.

What gives? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nada.
    I also cannot find the GameTextures textures that came with 4.4.0 anywhere.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You need to install the samples first by clicking on the Help>Samples menu.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    You need to install the samples first by clicking on the Help>Samples menu.

Yeah, that just opens up the "My Documents" window in windows explorer. That's it.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It didn't ask you to select a foler the first time?
    Did it not create a Substances folder in your "My Documents" folder?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I selected the folder the first time, but it didn't install anything.
    Now this happens, I will remove the gif later.
  • Sakey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the same problem here as Stormberg. But mine opens substance painters resources. No sign of the Game Textures stuff. Are we meant to do something first?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The Game Textures materials are in a separate package so it doesn't impact the size of the installer too much. You can find the package in the SD4 downloads in your account page on the Allegorithmic website.
  • lukors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukors polycounter lvl 10
    The textures are a separate download, at least if you get your updates from the Allegorithmic website.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well even with that there is still a problem with not installing the rest of the samples.
  • Sakey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, I checked my account on the allegorithmic site, nothing there other than the indie pack stuff (painter,designer and b3.)

Edit: Found them, was being a bit simple. :poly142:
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'll see if I can get more info on these samples that won't install.
    In the meantime, here they are: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9804576/Samples.7z
  • Bruno Afonseca
    If you log on the website there's a download link for the texture pack!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Jeremie, hope you get it figured out :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    cman2k wrote: »

I've tried;

This has been a bug for ages... We've asked for this to be fixed as well.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I just bumped it up in our short term backlog.
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
    For those of you trying the grass thing, here is a method that works pretty well.
    I'm using the gradient pattern in the fxmap but you could replace it with a custom grass blade.
    The noise I used as an input acts as a flow map for the grass, you can replace it by anything else to create crop circles or what not :)
    It could use some more randomness on the bigger blades though now that I look at it again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9804576/Grass.sbs

Jerc, would you mind explaining how your FX map works in that grass example? It's hard to tell what's going on with FX maps. You can't see a preview of each node in the FX map, and there are a number of quadrants each with a number of functions driving it.

I was really surprised to open that SBS up and see how you made that procedural grass with so few nodes. Allegorithmic needs moar substance designer training.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Are those materials from GameTextures available already?
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Hi empeck, you should be able to download them on Allegorithmic website in the download section of your account (near SD installer).
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Uzziel wrote: »
    Hi empeck, you should be able to download them on Allegorithmic website in the download section of your account (near SD installer).

Got it, I never thought to click the download near the SD installer, I thought they will appear on the main account page. Downloading now, thank you.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hi all.

Originally, I placed an order for Substance Designer so I could use it without steam. Now, I realize with all of the updates, I'd prefer to use it on Steam if possible (I'm a pain in the ass..) so it can auto-update like Substance Painter. I sent an email out a month ago but didn't receive a reply. Is there any way I can switch?
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hi all.

Originally, I placed an order for Substance Designer so I could use it without steam. Now, I realize with all of the updates, I'd prefer to use it on Steam if possible (I'm a pain in the ass..) so it can auto-update like Substance Painter. I sent an email out a month ago but didn't receive a reply. Is there any way I can switch?

Hello! we got back to you the day after you sent us an email but it might have ended up in your spams. Can you please send your email adress via PM and I'll make sure to provide you with a Steam Key :)
  • VisceralD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is what Im confused about. Does anyone use substance painter in conjunction to substance designer. personally i think that the only real benefits to substance designer is that it has has built in baker and it lets you real time edit in game engines. I think that its node based system is just more accomidating to people who are more left brained. I prefer substance painter because n it just feels like more of an art tool for artists. But I'm greedy and would like the benefits of both. So question for you guys

1.does substance painter have a built in baker that I just have not found yet
    2. more importantly why is it that when I save out my substance in substance designer and import it in to substance painter it does not show up. My expectation was that the model will be imported with the various textures already applied. Is there any work flow were i can quickly jump between the 2 programs.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    1. The bakers are going to make it to Painter soon.
    2. Your substance should show up in the shelf nd you'll have to create a Fill layer to put that usbstance in. We are still working on the interaction between the 2 software, the goal is to really have a live link between the 2.
  • XRA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRA
    toying around in Substance Designer, i exported a heightmap from this and generated a mesh in 3dcoat, then brought back in to substance to preview the material on.
    materials1.jpg
  • VisceralD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Live linking: I was a bit confused about this since it was mentioned in already old tutorials on substance painter see picture.
    fghfgthgh.JPG

So I thought this was a feature that already came out, I just don't know how to use it.
  • xtrm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    playing around with substance designer
    free substance designer look dev video on you tube ( HD )
    no uv !!
    no 3d !!
    no brushes strokes
    100 % 2d
    100 % substance look development workflow

100% free !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FT35Rqkk0

nouv.jpg