Home Dota 2

Rubick's Curious Courier Concept!

Hey guys, thinking of making couriers for the supports, and since rubick is awfully popular recently..

What do you think? Anyone interested?

Edit: Found Collab with DarkKyo. Might need animators later on.
Courier%20Slug.png

Replies

• polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right, I think a Rubick courier would be very successful, but If you ask me the most recognizable part of Rubick is not his cape, but his twitching movements. I can't see how you are going to pull those off with a slug.
    But a little green animal carrying a Rubick-cloak is a good idea, keep working at it!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, thinking of making couriers for the supports, and since rubick is awfully popular recently..

What do you think? Anyone interested?
    Courier%20Slug.png

Ditch the flying verion all together, the space helmit, the rocks at the bottom. There is far greater potential with a little slimeball rubick courier. I almost want to see this character just inflate and float around. Although getting the twitchy animations could be problematic on that design, possible, just problematic. Cnsidering hes a slimeball, he could morph into anything really, you have lots of flexablity.

As for the ground, I disagree with polarbear, he needs little arm like appendages, but with those, I can easily see the iconic twitchy animation.
  • JayKLegendary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses Andrew and Polar,
    Reworked the Original flying concept, and i decided this is what it probably will look like: (Anyway, thanks really cuz i looked at the original and even i felt weird about it lol)
    whaticameupwith.png
    And then i had an epiphany. Since that wolf-skin sniper set came out, valve implemented the style-switch system right? Well who's to say we can't do that on couriers? :)
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I suggest you should make the shoulder armor strips as wings maybe.
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This already looks much better! Now I also see how you're pulling of the twitching, I like it!

I'd keep the cloak on him. the little feet along his body just seem weird.

About the flying version: I really like the fat one! If you manage to make it look like he's got some boxes digesting in his belly, I would totally buy it as his way of carrying stuff. I have mixed feelings about the wings, but I have no better idea, so keep at it!
  • JayKLegendary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polarbear wrote: »
    This already looks much better! Now I also see how you're pulling of the twitching, I like it!

I'd keep the cloak on him. the little feet along his body just seem weird.

About the flying version: I really like the fat one! If you manage to make it look like he's got some boxes digesting in his belly, I would totally buy it as his way of carrying stuff. I have mixed feelings about the wings, but I have no better idea, so keep at it!

Thanks! Hey i thought of that when drawing that as well, i mean how awesome would it be to have that big blobby stomach filled with goo and items?
    But then again, i'm worried, i mean is modeling that even possible?
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Hey i thought of that when drawing that as well, i mean how awesome would it be to have that big blobby stomach filled with goo and items?
    But then again, i'm worried, i mean is modeling that even possible?

Yeah, I had the same thought. You'll have a hard time if you really want to have something floating inside of him. You'd have to work with transparency, which as far as I know is only 1 or 0 in dota2, so you can't give it a green shimmer. You'd have to poke holes in his belly such that you can see inside.
    But on the other side you could make corners of thing poke out of his belly (no transparency here) and tweak the textures such that it looks like it's transparent. I'd love to see something like that, but it would be quite an obstacle on your path to finishing this project.
  • JayKLegendary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polarbear wrote: »
    Yeah, I had the same thought. You'll have a hard time if you really want to have something floating inside of him. You'd have to work with transparency, which as far as I know is only 1 or 0 in dota2, so you can't give it a green shimmer. You'd have to poke holes in his belly such that you can see inside.
    But on the other side you could make corners of thing poke out of his belly (no transparency here) and tweak the textures such that it looks like it's transparent. I'd love to see something like that, but it would be quite an obstacle on your path to finishing this project.

Right? Maybe it's possible about manipulating the textures to do that, but i don't even know how to texture (yet) and still no modeler lol.
    Now i'll just try to finish up the complete thing, as in wing styles.
  • JayKLegendary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have hopes about this. Wing styles!

wings%20of%20slug.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Why not fly using the cape? Or float (telekinesis)?
  • JayKLegendary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector The first few designs were using telekinesis and capes, but the people here have decided to make me visualize alternative options.

Now though, it's up to the 3d artist (whoever wants to grab this) to decide which design to use. Mix-n-match, yknow?
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    looks so so so soooo cute (hug it and keep it

i dont like the flying wings though, wings are too commonly used, i will give you an idea, make it as if it's flying in space with the whatever glass circle around him zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (now pay me money for ideas lol!
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I would like to see this done with the telekinesis effect. Because it is moving, there would need to be some creativity in translating the static version that Rubik uses.

I don't know much about animation but maybe the rocks that get pulled up by telekinesis could be attached to bones that cycle up from the ground and then back under the ground plane to simulate a moving telekinesis effect.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Try looking at the shapes of things that fly or float right now, it looks kind of heavy and very worm-like. Try to play with the proportions a bit to make him look lighter without having the dripping slime (it makes him look heavy)

Or use the cape to fly like batman (or dracula)! (split the cape in two and morph the slime into a flying form)