Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Texture WIPs

esPhys
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
esPhys polycounter lvl 7
I just started messing around with hand painted textures for the first time, and while I'm not terribly happy with most of my results thus far, I'm definitely enjoying it. Up till now I've been primarily a high poly, hard surface modeler and it's kind of a nice change. So I'm just going to use this thread to keep track of painted texturing work/progress. At the moment, my primary project is to do a high quality model of the card pack from Hearthstone.

So, first of all, here's the work on the actual card pack.
6abV1kv.png

I'm pretty much scrapping that model/texture. I've already redone the texture once and didn't much like what I was getting. As an aside I also don't like my UV unwrapping job, or really even the model, so I'm going to start from scratch.

Here's just some other textures I've been working on to practice.

Here's the one I like the most, wasn't strictly following any tutorials:
q033YDw.jpg

Here's an attempt at recreating a texture briefly shown in a workshop video, I think it's okay, on the plus side it's tilable:
5KoMW2j.jpg

Here is a single brick, done with a small image tutorial. I'm not too pleased with the outcome really:
eCs4FVa.jpg

Any who. I'm hopefully going to update this every once in a while, but I'll try and keep it to major and/or multiple updates per post so that I don't end up just bumping my own thread once a day.

Any tips/suggestions/crits are appreciated, more so they're kind of the reason I'm making the thread. So, thanks in advance for any feedback

Replies

• anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    I think you're off to a good start, but your forms are coming off a little doughy. This can be primarily avoided by laying down your primary colors of choice with a soft brush, but then immediately switching to a hard brush to paint in the values more solidly. This gives the piece a more solid, painterly feel, and keeps things from becoming too embedded with that airbrushed feel.
  • esPhys
    Offline / Send Message
    esPhys polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Anglorum. I've always had that problem, even back when painting more realistic stuff, overusing smudge and blur. I've adapted a way to, at least I think, get the surface texture of things to be a lot less blurry/cloudy.

These 2 updates. Neither of them are really finished works, just experimenting, mostly with surface colour/texture variation. I think I found a method that works a lot better for me than the Jamin Shoulet "paint detail in using a few difference cloud filters as a base" that I've been using (though admittedly not much in any of the above examples...). It just ended up giving a too cloudy look that I didn't end up liking.

Here's you're standard wall. I think it's a little too far towards the realistic end of the spectrum than I'd like, because I'm looking to practice more a of a Warcraft style of things.
    5Akzird.jpg

This is more of a painting than a texture really. Based off of a screen from Hearthstone. Kind of sloppy but it's a better example of the surface texture than the brick wall is, considering only some of the bricks even have the texture painted onto them.
    qndc1OZ.jpg
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    esPhys wrote: »
    5KoMW2j.jpg

I would try painting an AO layer. Would add definitely more depth to the texture.
  • esPhys
    Offline / Send Message
    esPhys polycounter lvl 7
    In hindsight I'm not sure what happened there... I normally do have an AO layer. I'm not on the computer with the PSD on it, but I'd have to double check to make sure I didn't just have it disabled. I almost posted a picture of the brick wall without any AO accidentally but I noticed before posting it.
  • esPhys
    Offline / Send Message
    esPhys polycounter lvl 7
    It's been a while, but for I came across Fanny Vergne's method for doing her Warcraft textures and I wanted to give it a shot. I straight up admit to using her actual work as my reference, I just tried to copy it. My main projects for the next couple days will be to try and do a few more tiling assets using the same methods but using actual, real references.

EGEdAnT.png

Here it is with a simple spec map to show how it would look ingame (just diffuse and spec)
    xsbWEf8.jpg
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Last ones are looking better! There's a progression here!
    I would add more mid-large details such as spots, colors variations and stuff like that!

Great work keep it up!