Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Infiltrator Demo - Art Dump

Replies

• Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    @Sythen - The large mesh was actually a bit less optimized than most mainly because of how close to the camera it was going to be. For the floor section, this is basically how I baked it out:
    Keip4ZJ.jpg

It had to tile a lot so that's why I built in so many seam lines into the mesh. You can usually assume that when I build a seam in the High Poly I am tiling/mirroring at that point. It's a great way to hide UV Texture seams in your LP and allows you to reuse your texture a lot. We didn't do that here as much since this was the final piece, but I did get a lot of use out of it as the floor region was rather large/long. The Mech Piece and thing under it were baked on a separate texture.

Awesome man! Thank you so much.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yay paul! love this stuff, great seeing it again! you da man dug.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yay more stuff from paul!

Glad to see you touch upon tilling a little bit, making unique high poly meshes is all well and good for "hero" pieces, but I would figure for a scene that big you guys probably used more tilling trims than anything else, i would bet.

Seems like some really smart modular way of doing this kind of environment art! Also, spot on design, I think it's fresh enough to stand out to anything that epic has created so far.

I hope when you guys get around to release UE4, that you also release this demo!

Congrats Paul, and extend it to the whole team, this is some jaw dropping work! Working on this kind of theme is any artists dream.
  • jacksteel
  • coresplendor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coresplendor polycounter lvl 4
    Didn't see this thread before... Awesome work on this Demo, love the art work.

But i was curious, about this piece, a few problems here and there, but i highlitghed the major problems that i saw, double edge and possibly double vertex, on both sides since you used symmetry. Was this the final piece or did you fix those problems?

A little late since this thread is from 2013, but anyway, awesome work!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't speak for Paul, but I'll say that if it bakes ... meh. :) Those inaccuracies will never be noticed in game.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    @coresplendor - That's definitely a WIP shot with isoline display turned on, however I'm not sure and highly doubt if I fixed any of the errors you pointed out for the final piece as they didn't show up at all in the HP or bake. My wireframes are definitely messy and I still have a lot to learn about making clean models, but I generally try to aim to make it look good in the bake/HP without wireframe turned on as that is what is going to determine the final result and spend a lot longer on making clean Low Poly wireframes as they seem to carry a lot more importance.
  • coresplendor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coresplendor polycounter lvl 4
    @coresplendor - That's definitely a WIP shot with isoline display turned on, however I'm not sure and highly doubt if I fixed any of the errors you pointed out for the final piece as they didn't show up at all in the HP or bake. My wireframes are definitely messy and I still have a lot to learn about making clean models, but I generally try to aim to make it look good in the bake/HP without wireframe turned on as that is what is going to determine the final result and spend a lot longer on making clean Low Poly wireframes as they seem to carry a lot more importance.

Thank you for taking your time to anwser. Despite all that, still an awesome piece of work.