Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Elysium" Airburst AK - Help!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone. I'm working on a mod for ArmA 3, and am including this sweet-looking piece of weaponry. However, I feel that I'm mixing AK variants unknowingly. Namely the type two and three AKs.

Currently I'm very impartial on the stock, and the topology looks a bit messy, but I can't pinpoint what I can do to fix it. Thanks for any replies!

5yhmJ.png

5yhdV.png

Replies

• Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    While I'm at it, does anyone know the general polycount for weapons in A3? Their silhouettes look rather detailed, but I couldn't imagine it being anything more than 10k.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    That estimate sound about right based on looking at the guns in A3 but I haven't decompiled them so I can't say for sure.

For the stock, there's a few changes you might make to give it more interest and accuracy. Generally the top stays more horizontal as opposed to sloping down as much as you have it. They usually have a sling loop on the bottom near the back. They're also pretty rounded on the sides, they don't get totally flat except on the front where they meet the receiver (I learned this when I made the same error back when I was working on an AKM). See how the light is falling here:

948400_02_ak_wood_stock_laminated_grade__640.jpg

and the profile here:

1832418_01_ak_wood_furniture_stock_and_ha_640.jpg

another good ref:

IMG_5043.JPG

you could also go for this kind of stock if you were willing to mix and match, as it has that nice groove in the side to catch light:

500x500.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, awesome! That last stock looks pretty fancy, and might work a bit better. I'll give it another spin. Thank you!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    New stock at the expense of a few more polys. It's still at around 8.5k tris. Both stocks are around the same length, contrary to what below shows (thanks, perspective!)

Edit: I forgot the loop for a sling!

5yu13.png
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Bit of an update now. Hi-poly sculpt is finished. I've UV mapped the whole thing with a neat program I found out about through a friend called UVLayout. It has really helped with my workflow.

AK47Hipoly.png
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Finished the normal projection! I fixed it up, as originally the model was together as a single object, and xNormal had trouble in specific areas.

Be sure to spread out the parts of your model that you want to move/animate when you create a normal map!

5ADdG.png
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Any non-wireframe shots? Cant see how awesome it turned out as a whole :) Looks REALLY clean so far though. UV Layout Headus is amazing though, its unwrapping power is ridiculous.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man! Here you go:

5AInT.png
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    So.. that was the fastest I've ever created a weapon from concept to finish! Woo! My only gripes are the stock is really low-quality and the handle.

I let the handle slide because really, there'll be a hand on it most of the time! The stock won't be in the players vision all the time, but I may go back and fix that up.

Final1.png

No wires:

5AQH4.png

Bit of ADS action (I really like the look of the sights, and the detail):

5AQIX.png

Thanks to the both of you for crits and support :)

http://stirlsr.blogspot.com.au/