Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Metro Inspired Environment

Hello everyone, taking the time to finally post my WIP environment based on Metro Last Light. To be more specific, I am trying to do my best to replicate the first level when the character wakes up. Even though this is my first environment, after being comfortable with prop creation and side projects, my main goal is to produce a great looking piece, that matches high end next gen quality.:\

So far this project has been a great experience with learning the Cryengine tool, but I still have many gaps and lacking skills on many areas, especially lighting and composition. Would be very helpful, if the amazing folks found in this forums, can provide some feedback. Please, be harsh and mean :), I enjoy getting exposed

As of now I feel that this environment is maybe 75% done, will be updating it regularly with new content (such as a video) and make changes to suggested feedback. Thanks for stopping by

UPDATE

[vv]84130585[/vv]

4CjWbmc.jpg

WlKjiep.jpg

Goi1dsX.jpg

goLmJsb.jpg

zdiXnfI.jpg

wcEu2OH.jpg

7OsMlbk.jpg

mBBJySL.jpg

lxFBH2B.jpg

xsDYZG9.jpg

iY9qiy1.jpgqck5xXM.jpg

vZwbT4Y.jpg

af5PlC3.jpg

Replies

• NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great! I'm not sure if it's just me but those yellow anamorphic lens flares located on the light bulbs seem to draw my eye away from the scene. They just look a bit out of place in my opinion.

Other than that I think you have a really solid environment. I don't recall the beginning of Last Light very well since I played it back at launch, but I remember in Metro 2033 I would always stop to look at all the desks because they were filled with a bunch of tiny knickknacks and felt quite "lived in." Just by looking at them, you could get an idea of what type of person inhabited the room and what their interests were. (Artyom for example, had pictures of different cities on his wall, a journal on his desk with some lamps, and even a guitar.)

Many of the desks in your pictures seem too organized and empty, you might want to consider making some tiny props like pencils, cups, alcohol bottles, etc. and putting them on or around the desk.

Anyway, it looks great so far, I'm interested in seeing a final flythrough video of the environment when you're done!
  • gutty333
    @ NegevPro Thanks for stopping by, yes I do plan on bringing personality and a story into each room, This will call for roughly 20 plus props, but is essential, as you mentioned in your comment

Here is a small update with the weapon board, and steam radiator found in Artyom's room. Once I complete the AK-47 and the Dragunov, I might need to re-edit the wooden board and add some hangars to support the weapons

nF2JE7b.jpg

zQx0rL7.jpg

AqIWvEB.jpg

TjjFZ1D.jpg

p3Xswpu.jpg

XWPod3C.jpg

Was also curious to know what everyone's take is in regards to time, so far I have been spending roughly 3 months working on this environment, there were some down time due to cryengine being down during august. The question is, is this too long, am I a slow turtle?
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Carlos,

A few things jump out to me with this piece, mostly color and lighting. In my book, there's a lot of grunge and wear and while the assets look nice, the lighting is pretty flat and all that detail is going straight to my eyeballs. It's almost overwhelming. I wouldn't blame the assets or the textures really (though I might would find ways to soften certain areas) so I'd look to see where you can push this with lighting.

Some of your images are more successful than others, so I'll keep this pretty broad.

I feel like you're somewhere between Fallout 3 Vault stuff and Metro. Fallout is really washy (most Beth games are), very little contrast, not a lot of color, pretty evenly lit, etc.

Escape!_Screenshot.jpg

While I feel you're doing much better than Fallout (thanks to nicer models, textures, etc), I think you could push some more color into the scene and more directionality in your lights. Some of the images have one bulb that's emitting way to much light for the size of the source.

Think about gradients. Your first image with the blue light should have some stark contrast of the light flushing down the hall to darkness. Right now I feel the light is doing too much work. If you're also able to shoot some additional color and strong shadow out from some of the rooms to add some additional interest, that might be cool too. Look at what you're doing in lighting only, if it isn't appealing there, than you need to keep chipping away at it.

Finally, you're using a lot of the same hues, in the textures, and in the lighting. Seeing a lot of blues, grays, greens, some soft yellows. See if you can get some contrast not in your lighting to offset the color in your diffuse maps.

Finally, a bit more atmosphere would be rad. Fog, DOF, etc. Really separate the foreground from the background.

I know this was really vague so if you have any specific questions, hit me back. Concentrate on big dramatic changes via value gradation and color contrast. Post some lighting only shots if you're so inclined.

Best of luck, keep rocking this thing!
    -Jon
  • gutty333
    Hello Jon, thanks a ton for your input and your are correct. While not much change happened from my last post. I did set everything to lighting only and things do look really flat and basic. I was lurking on your blog and found really interesting sources in regards to lighting also found some outside articles. Once I analyze the science behind the progress and implement the inputs I received will be posting the newer images.

In terms of progress, it has been pretty slow this last day,
    Worked on broken mirrors and shatter glass
    Edit the lens flare
    Had to completely restructure my files and layers inside of cryegnine, so that I don't have a destructive pipeline.
    Did some minor tweak on the atmosphere side of thing, such as DOF, even though I am keeping it very subtle, but let me know what you guys think

UvxOIJ7.jpg

GDLXQ3E.jpg

rNpMgKU.jpg

nkvSnVI.jpg

tJ2QgBf.jpg

4U3yKHl.jpg

X7ggW7Z.jpg

Yq7DXZZ.jpg

tBQz8sn.jpg

svzG9hW.jpg

yVyoFTm.jpg

rFzreOk.jpg

Breakdown:
    yellow lights are used for the lens flare, shadows and illumination are turned off

blue lights are used as the source lights- casting shadows and illumination

red lights are used as the assist lights to give off a subtle orange tint- casting shadow and illumination
    so yeah atm that is an example of my lighting noob setup :poly122:. Hopefully next time it is more satisfying

gSsJbP6.jpg
  • gutty333
    Was hoping to update sooner, but had a pretty slow week due to finals at school. Next update will be on the new lighting pass and other side changes I applied. Promise it won't take long, so keep an eye out for it.

Here are some assets for the time being. Critiques are always welcome

Wall Fan, still need animations to preview correctly inside cry engine

cQqFcKj.jpg

AFi30eU.jpg

dk5TVIi.jpg

Weapon Case

Y63dyhW.jpg

s6PZeFp.jpg

kAKjw42.jpg

Wooden Chest

nh3r6FI.jpg

oShYMz6.jpg

WIP Guitar, stills need nDo2 pass plus the textures

Qm6w7hq.jpg

UoDLugx.jpg
  • gutty333
    Hey back again as promised, here is the new lighting setup (flat shaded), please would love some feedback. Followed many of the rules I gathered from my reading, but overall the scenes feels a bit too dark, am I doing this correct? I don't want to destroy the scene due to horrible lighting :poly122:

z6E5Jda.jpg

6ATtYk7.jpg

LfET5pJ.jpg

tRwuV0I.jpg

TpG49kx.jpg

zg0tEE7.jpg

Nk94t4J.jpg

pPDYE0I.jpg

JoPqnvz.jpg

xqVZI8M.jpg

3ZhyPoZ.jpg

Now on to more prop decoration and textures
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Carlos, meant to get back to you but have been pretty busy.

I think it's worth saying that critiquing is a bit tough because you're showing a ton of images. It might be nice to focus on one of your compositions (maybe the big open area) and maybe one room? For me, critiquing your lighting across 11 images is daunting. For the next update, focus your work on a particular few shots and we all might have a better time trying to help strengthen the composition.

I'll give some general thoughts that I hope you can apply across your scene, because hitting all aspects, is a bit overwhelming.

I think you're getting much closer with this recent iteration. There's more atmosphere coming through and that compliments the mood of the game. Here's a few things to think about moving forward:
    • Light Footprints
    • Light Falloff
    • Silhouettes
    • Light Leaking
    • Value & Hue Gradation
    Concerning your light footprints, I can see the unmistakable profile of point lights all over the scene. Try to soften the attenuation of the source so it doesn't create giant round footprints around lights or at impact points.

Then consider the falloff - some of the shots work, but others the light seems to stick to the surface, like they're in mud (shots 8, 9, & 10). That light is just hitting, and going nowhere. Not sure how GI works in CryEngine, but you need to see how you can soften and create more movement from your impacts.

Some of these shots could really use some strong framing silhouettes. You have some in image 11 where the banister is dark over the brighter dwelling space. That image is one of my favorites from your recent drop because it has a good balance of light and dark. In your initial lighting only drop, image 2 has something that's heading in the right direction as well. The open door being dark over the green light adds more interest, and really makes the light beyond the silhouette catch my eye and feel important.

Seems to be some light leaking, or something else, not sure. There's an orange tinted ambience and I can't tell where it's coming from. There's no source to describe it, so I'm assuming it's a phantom presence.

I feel like some shots have a pretty good value range, while others (some of the rooms, especially) are soaked with light. Shot 2 and 3, the blue and green room are accepting the light into their heart like the messiah. Get some gradation from source to floor/opposite wall. Also, I'd like to feel the saturation soften as it moves away from the source. If the source is a mid blue, make the impact softer and darker, hell, adjust the hue a touch so it goes from say, that cool sky blue to a soft royal blue or even slight purple. Just as you'd want to feel light dissipate from the source, try to think about making that dissipation sweep through the color too - adding additional interest.

Finally, your table lamps are pretty unrealistic. The faked volumetric should be scrapped and the impacts are just sticking into the table like glue. These sources should be used as soft secondary or tertiary sources and shouldn't compete with the main focal light.

I know very little about CE3, so this is more why's instead of the how's. I hope I was able to give you something to work with. There's a lot here and there's plenty more I could touch on. Again, try to focus on a couple stronger compositions in your next update and I'm sure you'd get some more feedback on them.

Keep at it!
    Love,
    -Jon
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great, there's not much I can criticize upon, but I will say the texture of the lower floor is a bit too overcrowded with colors and the normals are a bit too over the top 9e52bb1dd37ef66a7859cd898929e707.png

I was just wondering, how are you going about texturing?
    Do you paint them in ZBrush or are they all bakes and textured within PS
  • gutty333
    Thanks a ton for the advice @Jon, Lighting is still in the works and not forgotten. I have done some further polishing to it, (hopefully it shows)but going to put a stop to it in the coming days.

@Mossbros: Thank you. I did change the normal map this time around.
    For most of the tileable textures I mainly use Photoshop, Ndo2, and Knald. For more organic/random surfaces I used Zbrush for sculpting. Painting is all done inside Photoshop, hope that answers the question

Here is another update. In the past week or so, I worked on:
    1)more pro decorations,
    2)polishing some minor textures/materials, and playing with POM and other features
    3)Still fighting with the lighting

Hoping to conclude this project by the end of week, some of the task to complete include:
    1)Particles
    2)Animations
    3)Finish last few assets
    4)Revise on feedback, so don't be afraid to drop some criticism
    5)Video Fly-through

XA2fyAy.jpg

fBDKYzq.jpg

eTatPdb.jpg

lj7wNAR.jpg

HGqMpXC.jpg

uXAPNzn.jpg

WfsGk8Y.jpg
  • gutty333
    Alright going to call this environment done. Finished the animations, added particle effects, revised the lighting, polishing, and finished off unfinished/needed props

Will be posting a cinematic video fairly some, within a week or so.

Learned a ton through out this project which had a span of around 4 months. Next plan involves improving some of my weakness and diving into an organic environment (foliage, rocks, more zbrush tiling texture practice, etc). Thank you very much to all those that provided some generous feedback.

On the other hand, if you still find some errors, dont be afraid to drop your input.

Warning Image Spam. :\

4CjWbmc.jpg

WlKjiep.jpg

hBYjtEG.jpg

ZrrmNgZ.jpg

hatjxcB.jpg

Goi1dsX.jpg

H6iKU1v.jpg

DtrQw51.jpg

9AAz2qK.jpg

1QVjYAi.jpg

PfeauQd.jpg

goLmJsb.jpg

G96k5ic.jpg

5JxYHSv.jpg

eaCu7eo.jpg
  • gutty333
    Okay last showcase to the project.
    Here is the video for the environment, would like some feedback on quality/presentation if possible. Will still play-around with the cinematic.

[vv]84130585[/vv]

Some images showcasing some of the assets. In all had a blast doing this projects will keep you guys posted on my next environment, should be fun/challenging. Also even though this is finished, I am still open to feedback, never hurts finding areas that need improvement.
    Thanks

7Crui6f.jpg

A6mZ6Rb.jpg

jafm0nd.jpg
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
    looking great. I watched the last movie you posted.
    And I would like to suggest some points that might improve it.
    To me the camera makes to complicated and weird curves. This gives the impression that the cameraman was drunk. :p Also I think you zoom to much into details from certain area's wich gives the viewer not alot of freedom to look for himself. So I would suggest to make really simple and even slower shots where the camera has only 2 or 3 keys (just simple panning) showing the global mood from your environment. (like the shot around 3:14). Here is an inspirational video, they show it each year at my school :p
    https://vimeo.com/7809605
  • gutty333
    thank you for the feedback, will be taken into account for my portfolio cinematic
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    for the props you posted specifically the pots and pie... Did you unwrap those into one map? or did you unwrap individually?
  • Splitur
    Hi there. I'm new to this site and I'm new in the world of 3D. I'm new in the 3D world, but I have years of experience as a 2D artist and your theme, Carlos Leonard, is one of the topics that I liked most about this site. Really impressive work. I honor you most that you do your own library of objects, not just use the ready-made objects generated in the very CryEngine. :):thumbup: Good job with the lighting.