Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Last Of Us Laundrette Enviro

Hey Polycounters,

I'm starting a new concept based upon this piece of Last Of Us concept art, I just had to do an environment on this game as I had so much fun playing it! As always I like to add my own little elements to make it slighty different from the concept but still capture the feel.

I'm going to be using Unreal Engine 4, I'm only allowed to post in-game screens, so can't show any interface :(

Heres the concept..

concept_art.png

Heres where I am at the moment.. (please ignore the horrible lighting, it's just a block out :D)

image_1.png

Mostly proxy meshes to fill the space and get used to the engine tools.

A couple of meshes that are 95%, will get new textures as it starts filling out.

image_3.png

image_2.png

Thanks!

Replies

• Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    UE4! *foams at mouth with envy*
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, this is going to be good!
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Jealous! But I await the snaz, good sir
  • shakeyyjakeyy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iJIW89B.gif

Any chance you could tell us how you got you're hands on the UE4?
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Really interested in seeing what you can do with UE4 definitely will be following the project. I know your under an NDA but can you compare the UE4 tools to that of UDK/UE3?
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    UE4? Very cool. Is lighting still baked in UE4 or is it all real time now? Heard they went back and forwards on this not sure where they ended with it.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Dibbz wrote: »
    UE4? Very cool. Is lighting still baked in UE4 or is it all real time now? Heard they went back and forwards on this not sure where they ended with it.

It's baked. But full real-time solution is still on the table to improve and actually make it 100% viable alternative.
    As things are now, you need to bake at least some basic lighting to get things really going on.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like this thread will be nothing but people talking about UE4 and how bad they want it. Perhaps the actual UE4 and PBR threads will be of use then.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing more progress. As of right now, I think the washing machines could be a bit more reflective. The FOV seems like it should be adjusted too, but the blockout overall looks like a good start. :thumbup:
  • MichaelElphick
    Thanks for the kind words, hoping the NDA will losen up while I'm working through this enviro.

@shakeyyjakeyy Unfortunately I cannot say how I got my hands on, the NDA is pretty hardcore.

@Dibbz, It's a bit of both, but i'm using lightmapping (currently may change), as I haven't had to much experience with it as a CryEngine user mostly.

@leleuxart Thanks, I've worked on my lighting and think they are a tad more acceptable!

I'm having quite a hard trouble getting the FOV in the correct angle, without it looking kinda to distorted. I'm once more stuff is in and my placing is correct i'll be able to adjust the camera later.

Latest shot before I start working on the floor pieces using meshpaint.

image_4.png
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    How's baked lighting with modular pieces? Does it still produce those ugly seams like with UE 3 Lightmass?
  • MichaelElphick
    I haven't used any modular pieces in here at the moment, but the walls are all currently one mesh, which I assume has caused the wierd errors in the sharp angles such as the ceiling and left wall crease.

I can't really compare as I haven't used UDK/UE3 much previously. Sorry!
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    UE4's light baking is A LOT faster and cleaner than UDK's.

Looking good so far Michael. :) Since you said you don't have previous experience with lightmass, i'd suggest splitting the walls into smaller pieces for a better result.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I believe there was a way to apply for the UE4 beta. I think you just had to be subscribed to the UDK newsletter or something like that.

Staying on topic, I can't wait to see where this environment goes, it's looking great so far!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That clock texture looks a little off to me. I think it's how the paper looks all worn but the numbers seem to float on top and not affected by those cracks at all. Apart from that it seems like solid work so far.
  • MichaelElphick
    A little update today, been pretty busy this week with a couple of art tests.

Ive been working on the flooring to try and get a correct specular splatter so it's not too flat. Unfortunatly my old way of creating high rez screenshots seems to have be nerfed in the latest update :(

image_5.png

And a sculpt and the resulting normal map after some ndo2 grouting sculpting.

image_6.png

Next job is to create the water leak/small rubble pile textures to blend using vertex painting :)

Thanks!

@jacky, Thanks i'll bare that in mind when creating the proper meshes!

@Brygelsmack, Yeah it was a little rushed, i'm going to try and get all the objects in pretty roughly then tweak/remake textures as I go so everything 'sits' correctly!
  • MichaelElphick
    Found out how to create proper high res screenshots :), so worked on the tiling texture a little more.

Next up is to get the walls done!

image_7.png

image_8.png
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting quality looks really bad. I can see light leaking all over the ceiling and the intersecting walls.
    If UE 4 still has quality settings for lightmass: use production settings.

I was hoping Epic would've fixed this issue for UE 4. I'm really disappointed if they haven't :(
  • MichaelElphick
    It's probably due to my inexperience with lighting within UDK/UE4, so am sure it's me and not the engine!
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably due to my inexperience with lighting within UDK/UE4, so am sure it's me and not the engine!

Yea don't worry, I'm not blaming you :P
    I have no idea what the tools are like, but in UDK the "build all" and "build lighting" menu had a lighting quality drop down menu. If it's still there, use production quality and see if the light bleeding goes away.