Home Technical Talk

Recomendation for camera to shoot own textures

I have been looking into getting a camera for a while and since the holidays are here and Black Friday right around the corner it may be a good time to get one. Anyone have any recommendations for a good quality camera to shoot your own textures? Anything specific I should look for when buying one?

I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K50SF1887

Looks like a pretty sweet deal for a good starter kit.

Replies

• hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    No doubt a DSLR is nice to have. But after nearly a decade of collecting my own textures, I've found a nice pocket zoom is the most useful camera to own. Because of the fact you just can't carry a big DSLR everywere you go, and the most unique textures I've gotten have been in unexpected places.

I carry my Sony 20x pocket zoom EVERYWHERE, and I mean everywhere. Sure the quality won't match my DSLR if I'm pixel-peeping, but I've found for game textures it doesn't really matter. By the time I crop and resize, color correct, noise removal, and other various edits, it's perfectly fine.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point about the size. What about the smaller cameras with interchangeable lenses? Like the Olympus cameras. I'vs heard that they are just as good as DSLR but smaller and cheaper.
  • big_beluga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend an SLR if you are also interested in photography. In fact I suggest getting into photography even as a 3D artist because you can learn lighting concepts that apply directly to 3D lighting.

But if you just want a camera for texture gathering, I'd go with a small point and shoot. Canon and Sony are the best in my opinion. I used to sell cameras for a living. I suggest getting one that has IS (image stabilization).
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah if you have even the slightest interest in photography, get a DSLR.

But really, point and shoots are so cheap nowadays, get both!

You WILL raise eyebrows carrying around a big DSLR, and believe me, my wife and I have been questioned and asked to leave several places carrying around our SLR's.

The main thing for texture gathering, is get a camera that you won't mind carrying with you everywhere. Nobody cares/notices if you whip out a small superzoom, I've sniped tons of textures with mine, with a nice zoom you can even get those far away textures where you couldn't go on foot.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am interested in getting into photography so a DSLR camera sounds like it'll be perfect. So do you think this would be a good camera to start off with?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1K50SF1887
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    The second link you posted doesn't appear to work.

So I've got a Canon T3. I love it for when I am going out specifically to take pictures all day long... but, truth be told, it's big and I don't have it with me on a daily basis. But quite often I find myself somewhere and I see something and I regret not having my camera! (So I use my phone.).
    I'm looking at getting a decent handheld for that exact reason.
    It all depends on if you are going to go and hunt down textures specifically or if you want something to shoot with if you stumble across something as you go about your usual routine.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K50SF1887

It is the same as the first. I am eleigible for an upgrade. Most phone camera's are pretty good right now for quick on the go picks. For now I will probably go texture hunting around town. There are a bunch of areas with old buildings and a lot of really good reference that I want to take shots of. I also heard a polarized lens was highly recommended when taking pics of textures so that it removes any spec from the image.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I own a Canon Powershot S110.
    To make better photos then the automatic mode is really hard and for me as noob nearly impossible. :poly122:

When you dont have the time or interest for the camera use a normal compact camera with good auto mode. DSLR is overkill when you dont have this as a hobby and cant make use of the camera.

The canon Powershot S110 make good pictures in cloudy winter days for me, my only problem is that my textures are wet in the moment. :\
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DSLRs are cool and all, but the problem with them is that they are big, bukly and heavy, and the entry level models come with crappy lenses.

If you want something you'll actually have with you to take reference photos, you're going to be better off with a pocket camera, or a compact mirrorless camera.

For a pocket camera, the best out there is the Sony RX100, which has essentially the same image quality as that Canon DSLR with the included kit lens, except it fits in your pocket. There is a version II out, so you can probably find a deal on the version 1 model.

Even smaller and cheaper would be something like a Canon S110, or Panasonic LX-7. Both are very, very good cameras, especially for the size/money. There are a few more in this range that are also good.

Now, if you want something better than say the RX100, but still small, a compact interchagable lens camera is where you want to look. There are a lot of models, the Micro four thirds models from Olympus are quite good, as they all have in-camera image stabilization (so IS with all lenses, even primes). Throw a compact pancake prime lens like the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 on a micro four thirds body, and you'll have better image quality than that Canon DSLR at a much, much smaller size, though it will cost more money.

Olympus EPM2, EPL5, OMD EM5 are all very good, and offer image quality equivalent to that Canon DSLR. These days, mirrorless cameras are very very good, I'm in the process of replacing my large APS-C and full-frame Sony DSLRs cameras with micro-four thirds cameras. While the DSLRs are better for some very specific things, I almost never have them, so they're useless sitting on the shelf. The M43 gear? I can take that anywhere in a small messenger bag, even with multiple lenses.

The Sony NEX line is also good for a mirrorless, and has a larger/better sensor than M43rds cameras, but this only matters on paper. The M43 system is better over all (more lenses, generally smaller lenses) and IBIS makes up for the slight difference in sensor quality.

Heres some size comparisons: http://camerasize.com/compact/#98.23,387.30,387.92,467,475,ha,t

Now having said all that, if you want a DSLR, you're ok with the size etc, and you're comfortable with the price of the T3 I doubt that you will be disappointed. I started shooting with Canon DSLRs and they are perfectly capable.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Earthquake. That helps out a lot. So I found two deals:
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHJO49K/ref=twister_B0096WDBD6
    Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830111550

The Amazon deal looks much better since it has all the other goodies with it. I was looking into the pancake lens you mentioned... ouch!!!! That is about the price of an additional camera. Are they all that expensive or are there cameras with the pancake lens included? I could not find one so maybe that is not an option that exists.

Now with the release of Marmoset 2 on the way(extremely excited btw!!!), if I wanted to get into learning the process of taking pics to be used in a PBR based engine, would the Olympus still do the trick for textures? I am assuming it would since all you need is the RAW image and a Macbeth chart... if that is correct.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately most lenses for interchangeable lens cameras are fairly expensive (200-400 for a regular lens, 400-800 for a mid-range lens and 800-2000+ for pro type lenses). Getting into interchangeable lens cameras isn't exactly a cheap hobby.

Buying lenses used is a good option, I buy almost all of my lenses used (lenses are generally very reliable so its a safe bet to buy used if you can get a significant discount off new price). Prices for the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 on ebay should be about $280-310 or so for the older version (they just released a new II version that is a cosmetic update).

The panasonic 14mm 2.5, which is even smaller, tends to sell for around $160, and while not quite as good as the 20mm, its a very good value.

Just one note if you're seriously looking at the EPM2, it does not have a viewfinder, which can make shooting in bright situations tough as you'll need to use the rear LCD screen. You can buy an add-on electronic viewfinder, but that's extra cost and bulk to consider.

When you add it all up it does tend to be more expensive to go with a mirrorless interchangeable camera, especially when compared with the later model entry level cameras like the Canon T3. So if budget is a big concern maybe its not the right choice. IMO its worth it, because the best camera is the camera you have with you, and if a DSLR is going to sit at home its not much use, but it all really depends, some people don't mind lugging around a DSLR, I got sick of it myself.

And again, if you want something with very good image quality in a small size, but aren't interested in buying and/or swapping extra lenses, the Sony RX100 is a really good choice.

Glad to hear you're excited about TB2! We're excited too!!! To get started taking your own textures for PBR reference you'll need a decent camera, a polorizer filter, a tripod, and a color chart. Sorry I can't give you much more advice than that, its something I've been meaning to look into more but so far most of the PBR scan content i've used has been provided by Quixel.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    is the sony rx100 really that much better than say the new iphone or s4 camera ?
    btw, if you should be looking for a cheapish lens, i am getting pretty good results with the canon 50mm 1,8, which goes for 100$
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the sony rx100 really that much better than say the new iphone or s4 camera ?

Yes, yes it is. The RX100 is essentially as good as any of the DSLR or Mirrorless entry level cameras out there with the included 14-42mm or 18-55mm kit lens. If you're only ever going to use the crappy kit lens that comes with one of these cameras, the RX100 is capable of very similar image quality. It has a remarkably large sensor for a camera this size (just a bit smaller than M43rds, and the same size as the Nikon 1 mirrorless system). This means the high iso noise performance is a little worse than most interchangable lens cameras, however, it has a faster lens with a wider range, which makes up for the difference.

The only areas where the RX100 really lags behind interchangable lens cameras is the lack of viewfinder, lack of lots of external controls (though entry level dslrs/mirrorless lack controls as well compared to mid-range to high-end models), and AF that isn't going to be able to track fast moving objects.
    btw, if you should be looking for a cheapish lens, i am getting pretty good results with the canon 50mm 1,8, which goes for 100$
    Yeah, the nifty fifty is basically the best value lens in the Canon EF system, though the focal length is pretty long for general purpose use, its more of a portrait lens on APS-C. The Canon 28mm 2.8 is another good buy, and probably a better all purpose lens, can be had for under $200 used. EF 24mm 2.8 is good as well, and the 35mm 2.0 too, both which can be had for $200-250. The canon system certainly is not lacking for lenses, and many can be had at bargains because they were designed so long ago.

Though, these older lenses generally can not keep up with modern designs in terms of image quality, and none of them have IS, so in practical terms, you can use lenses on an M43rd camera with IBIS in lower light at lower shutter speeds, using lower ISO to give you better image quality, especially with static subjects like texture reference.

[edit] Oh, one more thing with the RX100, it looks like its difficult to add filters (you need to get a third party filter attachment thing), so if you need a CPL for PBR stuff maybe it should be off the list.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to get into photography at some point in the near future. I also like to do a lot of hiking and spending time outdoors. The Olympus seems to be my best bet so I don't have to carry around a large bag of equipment. Thanks again for all the advice! It really helped me out. I just gotta do a little more research and hope that there will be a better deal closer to Christmas or after.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if you want to get into photography in general an interchangeable lens system is the way to go. You can upgrade lenses later on then as needed.

M43rds is also pretty much the perfect system for hiking and travel because of the small size.
  • sevn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of camera do you want? How much are you gonna spend?
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably go with the Olympus PL5. After reading reviews and doing a bit more research, it looks like these camera's are amazing. This will work perfect for me and what I need it for. It is about 500.00 for the camera itself with a lens as of right now on amazon. Eventually I will get a pancake lens like the one EQ recommended. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Panasonic 25mm lens.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've owned or do own a good majority of the M43 prime lenses, heres a quick recap:

Samyang 7.5mm fisheye lens, haven't owned (but have owned 8mm 3.5 in Canon mount) very good lens, super wide fisheye effect isn't really general purpose though. Very small and inexpensive($200-ish?)

Olympus 12mm 2.0 - Currently own, lovely wide prime. Fast and quiet focus, very sharp. Expensive though ($550-600 used)

Panasonic 14mm 2.5 - Have owned, smallest and cheapest prime there is ($160 off ebay). 14mm 2.5 isn't too much different than most kit lenses at 14mm 3.5. Fast to focus and good image quality though.

Olympus 17mm 1.8 - Currently own, nice size, not too big, not too small (I find the panasonic pancakes are a little too small, I end up touching the front element). Fast and quiet AF, decent sharpness (though the 20/1.7 may be a little sharper). I like this over the Pana 20/1.7 personally for the AF, but it is more expensive and doesn't produce better images, so its harder to recommend on a budget ($450 used). Good general purpose moderate-wide

Sigma 19mm 2.8 - Haven't owned, very, very, very cheap (especially the older "DN" version). Great sharp optics but only 2.8 aperture. Fast AF.

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - Have owned, second smallest, and not to pricey ($250-300 used), very, very sharp, nice bright 1.7 aperture good for low light. Slow focusing that hunts in low light (why I sold it), relatively loud focusing for M43rds standards (but quieter than many SLR lenses). Good general purpose moderate-wide

Panasonic 25mm 1.4 - Currently own, wonderful "normal" 50mm-equivilent prime lens. Fast aperture, fast and quiet focus. It tends to "rattlesnake" on Olympus bodies (the aperture blades open up and stop down as you point it at various light sources, which makes an annoying noise - you get used to it but it is a bother at first). Expensive (450-500). Good general purpose low light lens.

Sigma 30mm 2.8 - Haven't owned, very, very, very cheap (especially the older "DN" version). Great sharp optics but only 2.8 aperture. Fast AF.

Olympus 45mm 1.8 - Currently own. Nice portrait lens. Fast and quiet AF. Very light weight but plastic-y build, optically fantastic though and a bargain at $300-350 used

Panasonic 45mm 2.8 macro - good macro, bit expensive, haven't used

Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro - good macro, bit expensive, haven't used, weather sealed though (with EM1, EM5, and GH3)

Sigma 60mm 2.8 - Haven't owned, very, very, very cheap. Great sharp optics but only 2.8 aperture. Fast AF.

Olympus 75mm 1.8 - Most people say this is the best prime in the system. Moderate telephoto though so of limited use unless you really know what you want to use it for. Very expensive as well.

Image samples for all of these lenses (and more!) can be found here: http://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Now, what I would suggest: Play with your camera for a while with just the kit lens. The kit lens covers most of these focal lengths. Pay attention to where you generally set the zoom when you take photos, and then pick a lens in the focal length that you most commonly use.

Alternatively, spend some days shooting and set your zoom lens to a specific focal length and stick to that all day and see how you like it. Another good way to figure out which prime lens will be best for you.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Wanted to join in if I may. I have been doing alot of research lately on cameras. I wanted to get a good camera obviously. I wanted a camera with minimal blur/distortion and noise and Image stabilization. I wanted a camera with a nice zooming range and raw format output. ISO up to 6400 would be nice. I would like to have a panoramic option on it as well. 3000x4000 for the resolution. I was looking at some DSLR's but I mean it is rather big and bulky and if I can get the same results with something smaller then thats great. Interchangeable lenses would be nice to have but I know it can be expensive. If I can get great results with standard set up then that's fine.

Camera will be used for gathering reference:
    Taking pictures of faraway mountains, cathedrals, castles, statues on a roof all that good stuff. I want to use it for making my own textures as well for games.

Here are some cameras I was looking at:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-2-8-Inch/dp/B009B0MZ1M"]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-2-8-Inch/dp/B009B0MZ1M[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ60-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6YX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386101825&sr=1-2&keywords=lumix+fz72"]http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ60-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6YX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386101825&sr=1-2&keywords=lumix+fz72[/ame]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon wrote: »
    Wanted to join in if I may. I have been doing alot of research lately on cameras. I wanted to get a good camera obviously. I wanted a camera with minimal blur/distortion and noise and Image stabilization. I wanted a camera with a nice zooming range and raw format output. ISO up to 6400 would be nice. I would like to have a panoramic option on it as well. 3000x4000 for the resolution. I was looking at some DSLR's but I mean it is rather big and bulky and if I can get the same results with something smaller then thats great. Interchangeable lenses would be nice to have but I know it can be expensive. If I can get great results with standard set up then that's fine.

Camera will be used for gathering reference:
    Taking pictures of faraway mountains, cathedrals, castles, statues on a roof all that good stuff. I want to use it for making my own textures as well for games.

Here are some cameras I was looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-2-8-Inch/dp/B009B0MZ1M

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ60-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6YX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386101825&sr=1-2&keywords=lumix+fz72

If DSLRs are too big, but you want very good image quality, re-read what I've posted in this thread about the micro-four-thirds system (esp olympus bodies with IBIS).

The cameras you link are not bad cameras, but they're both large and bulky and offer small sensors which will provide poor detail and poor noise performance at high ISO compared to a M43 camera, or a DSLR.

What they do offer is a very large zoom range, these cameras are usually refered to as "super zooms" because of the wide range you can use to zoom. When it comes to lenses, really the one thing to remember is the more range a lens has, the worse quality it is going to be. So ask yourself, do you need a 24x zoom, of so, why? Most people use these sort of cameras for capturing photos of wildlife and things like that.

For general purpose shooting, and taking reference, a 3-4x or so zoom lens will cover your needs (and with an interchangeable lens camera, you can buy something better later if you need to).

In 35mm film/full frame SLR terms, a lens in the range of 24-80mm will cover like 99% of shooting unless you're really doing something specific. In M43 land, thats a 12-40mm lens, most of the cheaper cameras come with a 14-42mm lens which is fairly close.

In APS-C DSLR (Canon Rebel, XXD, 7D, Nikon DXXXX etc) that means a 16-55mm or so lens, most kits come with a 18-55mm, again pretty close.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, what about this camera here? Is has 3x optical zoom and is a m34 camera. I have never owned a camera with interchangeable lens before so this is new to me but I understand that its all in the lens from what I'm seeing. I don't want to go too crazy money wise. I wish I could though.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF3-Compact-System-Touch-Screen/dp/B00554Z9G6/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386111210&sr=1-16&keywords=micro+3/4"]http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF3-Compact-System-Touch-Screen/dp/B00554Z9G6/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386111210&sr=1-16&keywords=micro+3/4[/ame]

but then again the lenses are like 200 and up. Maybe a fixed lens might be better for me. Anything is better then what I have now lol
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the different types of lenses? I saw that you mentioned Macro, Prime, Pancake, and Fisheye. I know what the Fisheye lens is but what about the Macro, Pancake, and Prime lenses. What are the differences and when is it best to use each of them? Thanks for your help so far EQ. I can't wait to get my camera and start taking some pictures.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, what about this camera here? Is has 3x optical zoom and is a m34 camera. I have never owned a camera with interchangeable lens before so this is new to me but I understand that its all in the lens from what I'm seeing. I don't want to go too crazy money wise. I wish I could though.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF3-Compact-System-Touch-Screen/dp/B00554Z9G6/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386111210&sr=1-16&keywords=micro+3%2F4

but then again the lenses are like 200 and up. Maybe a fixed lens might be better for me. Anything is better then what I have now lol

Thats a nice camera for the price, its an older model though. It also does not have image stabilization built into the camera, so you would need to buy lenses with IS in them (which leaves you with less choices).

Its also not clear if that camera comes with a lens or not from that listing.

What is your price range?

What will you do with the camera?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the different types of lenses? I saw that you mentioned Macro, Prime, Pancake, and Fisheye. I know what the Fisheye lens is but what about the Macro, Pancake, and Prime lenses. What are the differences and when is it best to use each of them? Thanks for your help so far EQ. I can't wait to get my camera and start taking some pictures.

Sure

Pancake: This simply refers to the size of the lens. A pancake prime is a small prime lens, for instance. Pancakes are great because with a mirrorless camera, they make a very small total package.

Prime: A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens, this means it does not zoom. You zoom with your feet when using a prime lens, or switch to another prime lens. Prime lenses are generally smaller with better image quality than zoom lenses, and are almost always faster (aperture size) which means they let in more light, so you can use them it poor light without raising the ISO as much (so, better image quality). Being faster means they offer the ability isolate the subject from the background (blurry backgrounds etc) better than a slower zoom.

Zoom: Zooms... Zoom. You can change the focal length on a zoom lens, which makes it very convenient. Again zooms are usually slower, larger and have worse image quality than primes. Its a matter of compromise.

Macro: A macro lens is a lens that can focus very closely, good for getting detailed shots. Macro lenses are almost always primes, they have excellent sharpness, and sharpness across the entire frame (non-macro lenses can be very sharp, but the sharpness is usually best in the center of the frame).

Some zoom lenses will say macro on them, or offer very close focusing as well. Generally what makes a macro a macro is magnification, sometimes 1:2 but usually 1:1 for a "proper" macro lens, this is probably more technical than you need to worry about for now.

Fisheye: A fisheye lens isn't just a short focal length lens, its also a special lens that is not corrected for distortion. An 8mm fisheye lens will actually give a much wider field of view than an 8mm rectilinear (which means corrected for distortion, pretty much all lenses except for fisheyes are rectilinear).

Focal lengths, I'm going to list these in M43rds terms and also 35mm terms, to get the 35mm equivalent FL, double the M43rds focal length (2x crop factor)
    Ultra-wide: 6-9mm (12-18mm)
    Super-wide: 10-12 (20-24mm)
    Wide: 14-20 (28-40mm)
    Normal: 25 (50mm)
    Portrait: 40-55 (80-110mm)
    Telephoto: 50-150 (150-300mm)
    Super Telephoto: 200 (400mm) +
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a deal for the Olympus EPM2 + Two lens kit for only $350 up on amazon, looks like they sold out already though.

http://www.43rumors.com/super-amazon-us-deal-of-the-day-e-pm2-with-two-lenses-for-349/#comments

Keep an eye on it, and you guys should be able to find cameras like this for very cheap.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am going to do more extensive research. I can't afford a 500.00 camera to be honest, I want to try to get something nice though to take reference shots and for game textures. If I can find a happy medium then thats great as well. I might just get the bridge camera DSLR I mean if its bigger I don't mind much. I don't want to look like I'm the paparazzi though lol.. I know if you go to some places inside they may not let you take pictures or not as many but yeah I have to think really hard about this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am going to do more extensive research. I can't afford a 500.00 camera to be honest, I want to try to get something nice though to take reference shots and for game textures. If I can find a happy medium then thats great as well. I might just get the bridge camera DSLR I mean if its bigger I don't mind much. I don't want to look like I'm the paparazzi though lol.. I know if you go to some places inside they may not let you take pictures or not as many but yeah I have to think really hard about this.

I still wouldn't get one of those bridge cameras, even if you can't afford an interchangeable lens camera.

Canon S110
    Panasonic LX-7
    Olympus ZX-2

These cameras are very high quality point and shoot cameras. They don't have 24x zooms, but again, why exactly do you want that? These cameras have very, very good zooms for the range they cover in this class of camera.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for posting those models to research this looks like a much better option for me.

I can tell you right off the bat I love how the Canon S110 looks, it has a nice big screen too. ISO is pretty high, has the IS 12MP.

I don't even know why I need such a crazy amount of zoom for I don't know anything about that I thought it would be better to take pictures of cool architecture up high I have never owned a camera like that before.

The camera I currently have is old and showing its age. I have had it for years literally its only 7.2mp I know mp it just a marketing thing still but there is a big difference between 7-12mp

Here are the specs of my old Sony Cybershot
    http://dpinterface.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-w70/
  • sevn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking at this recommendation from here http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d600-vs-d610-a-slight-upgrade/, have a look
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There was a deal for the Olympus EPM2 + Two lens kit for only $350 up on amazon, looks like they sold out already though.

http://www.43rumors.com/super-amazon-us-deal-of-the-day-e-pm2-with-two-lenses-for-349/#comments

Keep an eye on it, and you guys should be able to find cameras like this for very cheap.

WHAAAAT!!! How the heck did I miss this!? Hopefully they will get more of these cameras and continue the deal. Maybe around New Years.
    I saw that Best buy also had a deal for the PL-5 for 500.00. That's a 100.00 off the original price.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since we are on the subject of camera's and such, does anyone have any good recommendations for sites that offer good information on photography? Obviously the best way to learn is to go out and start taking pictures. I am looking for more info on the technical lingo of cameras and overall good techniques when taking photographs.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good info here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Also, buy this book immediately: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390"]Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
  • EarthQuake
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talk about an amazing deal. Thanks EQ!!! How do you find these deals!? Would you know how long deals like these last? I could not find anything on their site.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm always looking at http://www.43rumors.com/ to see rumors on new lenses etc, and they post links to deals like this pretty often. This site is where I found that $350 EPM deal as well. I don't know how long this current deal will last, probably not that long and almost certainly not until after xmas, but there will be another deal like this.

oh the EPM2 $350 two lens deal is back, which is just an insane price. The EPM2 isn't the best camera in the world but its a good starting kit. Same with the lenses, but at this price you can't really go wrong.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019180-REG/olympus_v206021bu070_e_pm2_mirrorless_micro_four.html

Oh and if you've never heard of them, both b&h and adorama are highly respected sites for camera equipment, I tend to buy all my camera gear(when I buy new) from one or the other.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so what is the major difference between the two cameras? Is it just the tilt screen feature that makes the PL5 more expensive? I am going to get a camera but I don't know which one. I do not mind saving money but if the pricier one will give me better quality and results plus last longer then why not. I plan to purchase one of these tomorrow. I cannot miss another deal like these.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The EPL5 has the tilt screen, and a few more buttons and dials I think. The EPM2 is going to rely more on the touchscreen and digging through the menus to change certain things. The EPM2 is is going to be closer to a point and shoot style interface than the EPL5, but they aren't hugely different.

As far as the guts go, they're basically the same camera, with the same sensor/image quality that you'll find in the EP5, EM5 and EM1 (which are all double or more than the cost of these).

Without a viewfinder, the lack of a tilt screen can be very annoying when shooting in bright light. On the other hand, you can put some of the cost different towards an attachable, eye-level viewfinder such as the Olympus VF3 or VF4(more expensive, but better, higher resolution evf) or even a used VF2(better, but older than the VF3, which is a little confusing). A tilt screen is also really nice when shooting at odd angles, either low, or above crowds/fences/etc.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wohoo!! Just purchased the PM2. I figured with the little extra money I saved I can use that to go towards another lens or the electronic viewfinder. I cannot wait to get it in the mail and start shooting. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll have some pictures posted soon.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some shots this week with my Olympus PM2 camera. Lovin it so far. Still learnin though. I got that book you suggested EQ, it has helped out a lot, thanks for the recommendation.

ipo4.jpg
    q385.jpg
    l9bz.jpg
    z4bs.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great shots, looks like the camera is working out well for you!