Current Update:

3jFu6RA.jpg
oWcjPpQ.jpg
a6g1uI3.jpg

uWrn2TU.jpg
WeoBdic.jpg
KRRYNmU.jpg

Previous :

Based the concept art from one of Feng Zhu's students, Joel Handojo has given me permission to bring his concept into UDK. There is still loads to do, the background buildings are just placeholders at the moment and there are still bits to add, fixes to make.

59bJW6J.jpg

5BLKlub.jpg

8PGwo8W.jpg

O4xeQyZ.jpg

WGHohIp.jpg

cxDqs7E.jpg

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I love it :) I think the scene could some more color from either the lighting or from the skydome to spice it up a bit.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Lookin good! Some reactions:

• Your lighting is super stark and the color is off. This is augmenting the lack of color variation in the texturing making everything pretty samey. You have STRONG lighting contrast, but no color interest.
    • Some of your details/grunge/surface texturing are giving off conflicting scale cues. For example, the rust spots on the metal are all pretty uniformly distributed and same-sized, and given how large they are, it makes your overall architecture look like a painted miniature model. The concept of areas of rest versus areas of detail, easing up on some of the drastic, harsh normal maps (like on some of your vertical wooden posts), and some better lighting/atmosphere will help here.

Depends on what look you're going for, but there ya go.
  • jestersheepy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff, I would say it's in major need of more variation, both in colour and in materials.
    You need more bounce light and/or a lighter environment colour for them shadows too.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff, I would say it's in major need of more variation, both in colour and in materials.
    You need more bounce light and/or a lighter environment colour for them shadows too.

I would agree. The exact same boards of wood for the entire thing is a bit much.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    A good-looking piece so far, but as others have mentioned, there is little variation in colour and lighting.

One of the first things that jumped out at me was the default UDK sky (can spot it a mile off) which contains a lot of clouds.
    As I'm guessing this is supposed to be in a desert area, it would help to create your own sky that suits your purpose a bit more.
    Desert areas generally don't have much cloud cover due to reduced foliage in the environment.
    I also think that the sky would be a good opportunity to introduce a more saturated colour into the scene with some bold blues.

With regards to the lighting itself, your shadows are very dark, and almost black.
    Generally in an outdoors scene in the afternoon, the sunlight would take a more yellowy/orangey hue and the shadows take on the colour of the sky - usually still blue at this point.
    You can think of the entire sky as a giant, low-power light source and any area that isn't hit by the harsh sunlight is instead lit subtly by the sky.

rob-blakers-sun-and-shadows-outline-sand-dunes-near-stovepipe-wells-death-valley-national-park-california_i-G-20-2098-4BR2D00Z.jpg

The image above is a good example of contrast between the orangey hues of the sun to the blue hues of the sky and shadows.

On the matter of materials - how about throwing some red and white paint over that wood to help distinguish separate parts of the building more?

I hope that all helps as the scene is looking good - it just needs that extra push to make it awesome! :D
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Quick update time. Based on the previous feedback of it lacking colour variation,I've made it into a nighttime scene where the warms of the interior lighting and windows contrasts against the cool tones outside. There is more variation on its way as I plan on making some flags, and a few old banners.

HGid6K4.jpg
    3jFu6RA.jpg
    oWcjPpQ.jpg
    a6g1uI3.jpg
    VqwAiXq.jpg
    HIVMGDJ.jpg
    uWrn2TU.jpg
    WeoBdic.jpg
    KRRYNmU.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    You nailed that mud part, I think it looks very good!
    I really like the warm lighting coming out of that little wooden thing.
    In general I just feel like the first render look very desaturated but i'm pretty sure it's because of the lighting.
    Looking forward to see more.
    I dunno if it's your kind of stuff but blizzard is looking for environment artist at the moment
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking absolutely kick ass. I actually started making an environment similar to this myself so it's great to see somebody else trying something similar.

I definitely agree with the comment about the sky. Personally I think this would look great with a dirty/dark/industrial pollution styled sky, but that's just me haha.