Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Pacific Northwest

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jonas-144 polycounter lvl 6
Started this project about a week ago.
I'll post more details soon.

I'm going for something pacifict northwest looking. Not sure about the composition, but I would really like to include a crashed Ford Trimotor somehow

ALOT of inspiration from Uncharted, The Last of Us and Call of Juarez

(The trees are very much placeholder)

Comments and crits are very welcome :D
3yti.jpg

Replies

• Griffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Griffin polycounter lvl 6
    As a PNW dweller I highly approve!

I think you got the atmosphere levels looking good.
    look forward to seeing what you do with the all-important evergreens.

One of my favorite things about the forests up here is the moss (particularly Olympic peninsula area).
    I like this ref because it shows opportunity for bringing in some red/purp/yellow, break up some of that green.
    Y6CJfTj.jpg
  • airdrummer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airdrummer polycounter lvl 7
    jonas-144 wrote: »
    Started this project about a week ago.
    I'll post more details soon.

I'm going for something pacifict northwest looking. Not sure about the composition, but I would really like to include a crashed Ford Trimotor somehow

ALOT of inspiration from Uncharted, The Last of Us and Call of Juarez

(The trees are very much placeholder)

Comments and crits are very welcome :D
    3yti.jpg

dammit this looks great. Cryengine?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Foliage looks awesome, but we really don't have much in the way of freestanding granite formations like that. We have a lot of exposed stone faces in mountainous areas, but not column / pillar type outcrops.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Really loving it. I like the dynamic on the leaning tree stump in the second image, but wouldn't the fungus still grow level? -though you could argue that it grew and then in leaned...

Subscribed!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say the rocks look strange when it come to the cracks. You can tell they'r not really cracks that break the surface. I also think that the cavity is way to strong and fells to baked. I'd say work some more of the unevenness of those edges, cavity wise.

Other then that I think it's a really great start and I think it looks like a really cool little project!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with sltrOlsson about the cavity and/or AO baking, it's too strong and it's overpowering the rest of the texture saturation wise, you're ending up with these bright whites and dark blacks, when it should be generally more mellow and consistent.

As far as the pacific northwest goes, Garage is right, we don't have that kind of standing rock.

We have shear faces that are exposed by geological movement.

This is exit 38 at mount rainer, it is a very active climbing spot and one of the more popular climbing faces in that area, unless you go up to forks.

http://bit.ly/171hUH0

It's pretty standard for the PNW.

http://www.mountainproject.com/images/30/58/108163058_medium_25602e.jpg

another pretty average climbing area. This is very NW, as compared to what you have which seems a bit more 'tropical' or 'jungle'. I've never been climbing in an area that looks like what you have, granted I haven't climbed everywhere in WA, but enough to know.
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonas-144 polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for all the really good responds! :D

airdrummer
    Thx man!, it's UDK

sltrOlsson

Really agree with you on the rocks, They definitly look baked. I'm going to redo them next. However I might make them a little bit more jagged and less smooth than what PNW rocks would usually look like. Just to add some additional detail.

Thx ysalex for the good ref images!

Been working on the trees mostly since the last post.
    Next thing is to deal with the rocks, and the composition (what you see now is just the all the props put together)

I'm thinking a small shallow forest lake, with a crashed plane in it

6eoj.jpg
    qaqv.jpg
    4ies.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Thats..just...wow. This looks awesome. The mood is nice! But I have few questions (as always :D:D )

1. The branches are made by hand, or some script for placing branches ? Or it's Object Paint tool in Max?

2. Is this some special shader for foliage? Or pretty similar to this from D. Lazarski's tutorial?

BTW: pine needles are looking very clean and very good looking.

sorry for PRO english.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man, looks awesome. Are you using and crazy shaders? Also post effects? I would be interested at looking at your foliage shader in particular if your willing to share.