Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help - Hand painted textures

Choppz
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Choppz polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys

My first post here, and I've been struggling a little with handpainted textures and generally trying to get that stylised/lowpoly look. I started trying to make handpainted textures about 7 weeks ago and I have no drawing background what so ever, and whilst finding some really useful tutorials I still find myself struggling.

So a part of my year-long project I've been making some meshes and my most recent one is this mine cart.

I started on the wood texture, but the detail on the wood doesn't look right.. Haven't properly started the metal trim texture, not sure on how I should build the texture up.

EDIT: Would really appreciate it to get feedback on how to improve it (including geometry of the mesh). Referencing other people's work, annotations on the screenshots or tutorial links would be really helpful :)

Geometry

vmr2w1t.png

Replies

• Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Geometry with WIP texture:

SjdQecp.png
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
    For the wood, the shapes aren't too bad, but the colour could use some tweaking. Using only what you provided, I changed some colours with gradient maps, curves, and levels.

g6ehYwH.jpg

As for metal, there's so many thing you could use for reference depending on how you want the metal to look. Look up rusted metal, brushed metal, shiny metal, and put together a sheet of what you want your metal to look like. It really helps if you start on it so people can give critique. You'll be surprised with what you can come up with on your own.
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Fashoomp for the reply.

Yeah that does look a lot better, especially the detail. I'll give that a go now, and see what I can come up with.

As for the metal I really want a dark, scratched iron looking metal.

I've been using the picture below as a sort of reference for ideas, and I like the style of dark metal with bright scratches/highlights. But unsure on how to build up the base of the metal texture.

3P4nLpX.jpg3P4nLpX
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    One good place to look is the polycount showcase here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62
    There are a number of very good handpainted models there, and you can also look up the artists portfolio to see more.

The only difference between 2d art and 3d hand painted is you have to pay careful attention as to how you light the object in 3d so it reads well for 3d. Bearing that in mind you can look up all types of concept images and stuff too, pick a style you like and go for it. If your still really struggling just make some shit and get critiques here and continue with the tutorials. If you are really serious about getting good, you should be making progress all the time. Starting out, I would expect a person to spend hours on there own just trying to wrap there head around stuff and replicating it. Eventually you will get it!

[edit] I would say the reference you have above is not the best sorta reference you could use. It has some interesting details but a bit noisey and monochrome for my tastes. For example, if you made different pieces of wood slightly different hues it would really help sell the piece a lot. check this out: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98160
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks BradMyers, some good links there and I see what you mean by it being monochromatic, I'll try and give mine some more variation in the colors, just messing around with colors now, hopefully be able to post an update later tonight.

As for my desired style, I really like Blizzard's design style and I realise they use a lot of Z-Brush sculpts to bake detail into their textures but I have no experience in 3D sculpting (but I hope to dive into that once I get a bit more confident with my tablet).
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    cool man. FYI, I'm pretty sure Blizzard only recently started using hp to bake detail into the textures. I have seen a couple people that work there share their workflow on polycount here with hp, baking, then painting over.
    Anyway, its a pretty cool workflow, but totally unnecessary for you especially if your main goal is to become a better artist. I think understanding the basics and simply being able to paint your own textures will take you a lot further at this point. Good luck man!
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    So I did some tweaking with filters on one section of the wood texture and came up with this. Although I couldn't seem to get the detail on the center plank looking as sharp and natural as Fashoomp's..

I'm wondering if I should just redo that detail, any suggestions?

I kinda like this look of wood, looks a bit more messy and old (Hopefully a step in the right direction). Would like some feedback on it :)

sAIVIrL.png
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Brad!

Yeah I think they've been doing it for 2~ years now, but your right its a bit of a distant goal, but something I'd like to one day pursue :)

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    A messed around with levels/masks and upped the contrast a tad.

t1444Tz.png
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Yea, I think Blizzard just jumped on that HP/baking bandwagon recently. Here is a link for a former Blizzard texture artist that someone shared with me just a few weeks ago. JaminShoulet:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM"]Texturing Workshop with Jamin Shoulet Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks spectre :)

Yeah I actually came across that tutorial a couple of weeks ago actually. Its been really helpful, and I used his technique of adding grain to wood, I think from his 2nd video. I'm really looking forward to the tutorial series he is creating, he did a free one about painting grass, but the others are going to have a fee but they will be well worth it.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok no prob. I would then use his technique on those wood parts to maybe give them some seperation. Try adding a screen and mult layer to add a beveled shadow/highlight between the planks to start. Just keep pushing it.:poly136:
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah actually I don't think I saw the wood section at the end of part 1, so I'll go over that. But Yeah I agree they look a little flat, I'll try add some more shadow/highlights near the seams.

Thanks for the feedback spectre :)
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Just did some quick work before I get some sleep

I added some more highlight/shadow with the seams to try and seperate them more (maybe they're a bit too seperate now?) anyway below is the picture including new/old diffuse

wAXJNit.png
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I'd say they're not nearly separate enough! :poly121:
    Although I wouldn't make the seams any darker than you already have.

When it comes to hand painted textures, you will want to paint a lighting direction into the texture. Light normally comes from above. Because of that, you should try to think of which planes are top-facing, and highlight them.

In the case of these boards, the top edge of the boards creates a top-facing plane, so you should highlight those. The edge of very top plank should stay dark, though, because the metal overhang would prevent the light from hitting it.

Here's a quick example, I hope it helps:

choppz_example.jpg
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly what I was gonna do to show what I meant^^^^, but was too lazy. Do the same for the bottom spaces and add some variation with brush spacing etc., and then work on making more pronounced grain/knots/dings. Follow the same technique that Shoulet shows" Base color-screen layer lighter than base but in same hue for light facing edges- mult layer darker than base with same hue for recesses.
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

Just woke up and added those highlights on the seams, thanks DemonPrincess ^^ Update picture below (maybe looks too beveled for planks?)

@spectre
    Yeah man I'll give that a go, just need to properly wake up, I'll update hopefully next within the next couple of hours. Thanks again for your input :)

b7d1hSW.png
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    my 5 cents. i would straight the uvs and scale island to size of a closest texture for eg 512x256. Here is my 5min over
    2pq80eg.jpg
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Ah really nice riceart, I've just straightened the UVs out. I'm going to remove the old detail on the center plank and try to do it in the same style you have. I'll post the update soon
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Apologies for the late update, I had some stuff to do and I'm about to head out to work

Done a little work which I think looks better, but would like feedback on it.

I still need to add some cross-plank cuts, chips and try to add some height/depth along the plank like riceart did in their example.

Anyway feedback/suggestions are appreciated ^^ Thank you very much for all your help so far

kIWnWEq.png
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    How about changing the hue and saturation of one of the boards so they are all not the same color. Also.. if you are just painting a unique texture, you can think of things like dirt and grim staining the bottom area of the wood.

I like riceart take on it.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    awesome riceart!

Here is a quick pass I did on ricearts, mainly I just wanted to add larger details, and breakup the color a bit. Might be getting a bit too contrasty/messy but thought it might give you some more ideas.

woodpass2.jpg
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome thanks BradMyers and glottis, I just took your advice and quickly masked the planks to give them individual colours. Still got to work a lot on the details which I'll start tonight after work (Hopefully will be back in about 3 hours because I had to work overtime on Sunday).

Anyway update photo below, once again thanks a lot for your guys input :)

oQz6tqp.png
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Update:

Tried a couple of different markings in the wood.

Had a hard time trying to replicate the angles(?) of the surface of the wood (pointed in picture below) I tried making a screen layer and used a hard brush to make a sharp angled area, which is then highlighted with another screen layer, but it just looked out of place and unnatural.

jQqr356.png

You can see my update picture only has a couple of extra added features, its been a lot of trial and error and I need an early night but I thought I may aswell post it. If anyone could give some help with the circled bits above, I would greatly appreciate it. Also still looking for feedback and suggestions overall :)

vUXNR3f.png
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Choppz wrote: »

Had a hard time trying to replicate the angles(?) of the surface of the wood (pointed in picture below) I tried making a screen layer and used a hard brush to make a sharp angled area, which is then highlighted with another screen layer, but it just looked out of place and unnatural.

Personally, I'd get out of the habit of relying on blending modes for this kind of detail and just paint it in the way you want. No need to over-complicate things. :)
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Jason Young :)
    I'll do a bit more experimenting this morning see if I can find a better way to do it
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator

Have you tried using a hard square brush? That might do the trick for you. I agree with Jason Young also. You can paint the majority of it with just a normal layer, I usually do a multiply (shadows) and linear dodge add (highlights) pass at the very end. Just as long as you establish some strong lights and darks / colors in the beginning with your normal layer, you can color pick and paint the majority of it.
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Brad for checking on the thread again, to be honest today I've not been able to focus very well and not been able to create anything I'm happy with. Its all been either poorly done or unnatural, so I've just kept scrapping it and starting again.

I'm beginning to think I should just move onto finishing the rest of the texture, I've got a lot more work to do after this mesh, and all my previous work I've done is getting outdated because I'm slowly making better textures, so thats just adding onto my workload. I'll pop a screenshot of the other meshes I've painted over the last couple of months.

4XfKidT.jpg

What do other people think? Should I use the wood texture in it's current state?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    You have improved a lot compared to your previous assets, so if you feel you need to move on for now, that's alright.

That said, the more you push this texture, the more you will learn from this one session. To that end, here's some additional feedback:

The one thing you could stand to improve in this texture is the crispness. Try to work in more of a planar approach. The top edge of each board creates a plane at a particular angle, the sides of the boards creates another. Try to represent each angle by putting a different value on them, without a soft transition between the two.

For this, it's best to use a brush with 100% hardness and a fairly high opacity. I tend to stay between 30% and 50% opacity.

What applies to the top edge of the boards, also applies to the cracks, just on a smaller scale.

On a final note, you don't need to make absolutely every detail completely hard-edged, because that would look unnatural as well. But try to select a few areas you want to accent.

Here's another quick paint-over to illustrate the points:

choppz_example2.jpg
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Ah thanks again DemonPrincess, I see what you mean by that. My attempt doesn't really look as crisp as your paintover, but I think its an improvement over my last update picture. I used a 100% hard brush and made the brush opacity to 40% and went over parts of the upper planks and also over a few more of the deeper cracks in the wood.

By the way those paint overs are really useful, thanks again for your helpFuHic7C.png:)
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, decided to make a start on the metal texture. Been experimenting around with trying to build up a base colour layer, but its not looking so great. I'll post a picture below. Does anyone have a good tutorial link or technique for building up a metal texture? I'll gather some pictures up of what sort of metal I'm aiming for.

What I've done so far isn't really anything special, and is just really an assortment of layers with different shades of grey. I'm unsure exactly how to build up metal (with the wood I followed Jamin Shoulet's awesome tutorial but unfortunately he doesn't have a section on metal). I'm going to keep on searching the internet for answers, but if anyone can show me an effective way to approach a metal texture, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I'm aware it needs highlights and such, but first I would like to get the base look of metal before I go into things like that (I'm hoping to apply what I've learned from painting the wood when it gets to that stage)

Also big thanks to everyone who helped me with the wood texture, learned a lot over the last few days :)

GAhzPN4.png
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Ok I collected some screenshots of other people's work H3ekibx.jpg

The wooden cart is slightly more different than the other two, but I want the top part of the metal trim to share similar rough scratches. Below is a really quick mockup sketch I created before I started modelling, and in fact the first concept I've ever drawn (If you can call it that) But instead I want to remove the bolts along the trim and add a single bolt on each side of the corner pieces (I'll create new geometry for the bolts, but probably not the corner pieces)

nkPt0uy.png
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    No worries.. I will be making a metal tutorial soon :)
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    but here is a hint.... think strong highlights
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Oh awesome Jamin ^^ is it best to try and keep the colour range fairly limited whilst doing metal? I notice a lot of metal textures are quite flat in colour.

Never the less I'll take your hint and do some more experimenting in Photoshop :)

Can't wait for the tutorials!
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Update: Had another go at the metal. Tiny improvement but nowhere near the standard I'd like it to be at..

KAx8bnq.png

MJSKlRj.png
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenZer polycounter lvl 4
    You should try putting thin white highlights with hard brush over the edges of metal.
    Take a look at this texture.
    jessicadinh_metal_diffuse.jpg
    http://awesometextures.blogspot.com/2012/04/jessica-dinh-metal-texture.html
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    I'll put those on now, mostly what concerns me is building up the base of the metal, at the moment mine just looks like a blur of grey. Thanks for the good reference though, I'll definitely work with this when creating mine :) (Jessica Dinh's textures are awesome)

EDIT: I'm too tired to concentrate, I'll post an update in the morning
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Hey Choppz, the key with darker iron type metals is the base needs to stay in the lower value range and dont take it much past mid level. The metallic look comes from then punching out the edges with much brighter highlights (towards the top of the value range) creating this jump in contrast between the base levels and the much higher highlight levels will give you the metal look you are going after. (This is the principal I used for the cart in your reference photos :) )

The other thing I would reccommend is dont forget to grab some real life metal photos as reference too, other game art is always helpful but how surfaces react to light in real life is the basis for these too.
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    add little and abit tight details on the texture by adding more wear and tear. if you look carefully at the above texture you can see that the cuts are painted black then added some white highlights with hard brush on their edges. Details like these can make your texture look less blurry and also zoom in the texture while painting details.
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    @Pixelated Kiwi
    I thought your profile seemed familiar ^^, yeah I think I went a little over the top with trying to add extra layers (I kept brightening it up and eventually just covered up the original dark colour) and your right about having contrasting highlights, I'll keep this in mind when I start working on it tomorrow :) Thanks for your input

@StevenZer
    Yeah I agree definitely, but should I always use the transfer option on my brush? I had the thought that maybe its looks so blurry because of the random opacity changes on each layer. Currently when I'm working I use the original circular brush with transfer option enabled, and i just change size/hardness depending on what I'm doing. Maybe I should sometimes turn off transfer?
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure! I use a hard brush with shape dynamics when adding highlights I don't prefer using transfer option when doing highlights but you can turn on transfer only with flow jitter instead of opacity jitter. Highlights should be more hard and strong but thin!
    And don't be scared of trying out new things do some tests on canvas by painting a box and adding details using different methods.
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah thats a good point StevenZer, tomorrow I'll start the metal texture again from scratch and I'll experiment turning off transfer for some bits and see if I can get a more desirable effect. Thanks again StevenZer :)
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Problem. :)
    And watch this video. This will give you some hints on painting textures.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C08MOPV3bwg"]Copy of Hand painted texture axe (HD) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Oh nice video, yeah that has a good example. Thanks StevenZer again, really helpful stuff :)
  • jinn15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should try to find tyson murphy's video on texturing weapons somewhere on the web

https://www.3dmotive.com/v101801

thats the 3dmotive link to the exact videos im talking about
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah I actually came across that when I first started doing hand painted textures, its had really good reviews and for some reason I've not got around to getting it.. Definitely on the 'to do' list, but I'd rather buy the tutorial then find a "free" version :)

Thanks for the link jinn
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Choppz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choppz polycounter lvl 3
    Oooo nice, not seen that tutorial before. I'll bookmark that and get on it when I get the chance :) Thanks again StevenZer