Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hank Shrader - Face Model and Rig presented in the Cryengine - Bachelor Thesis

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Maks polycounter lvl 14
Hi, I recently started my bachelor thesis with the topic: "Creation of a Face Model and Rig and presentation in a realtime Enviroment".
For the Character I've chosen Dean Norris well known as Hank Shrader in Breaking Bad. As target Engine I've chosen the Cryegnine, mainly because it provides me with wrinkle map support.

I hope you can give me feedback and advices over the project to get a nice result in the end.

Here is my first WIP shot of the Highpoly.

Hank_Shrader_first%20Sculpt_WIP.jpg

Replies

• anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Cool beans. Seems to fit his likeness nicely. I say you leave his pupils completely white for the duration of the project so he continues to look like a chubby Dr. Manhattan.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work! looking forward to seeing your progress on this :)
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 14
    Hey,

here is the next Update, not so much to see but a lot of background work.

At first a change of planes. I will now use Morphtargets instead of a Bonerig.
    That leads to a change of the Engine, because the Cryengine doesn`t support Morphtargets.

Therefore I`ve written the basic concept of my bonebased wrinklemap shader in Unity, to explain everything for my Bachelor Thesis. And for some awesome looking stuff, I got a plugin, to implement everything I will do for Unity also in UE4, so I will show my results there as well.

In addition to that, I`ve created my Lowpoly to sculpt now on it as base and to morph my expressions more easy later.

At first you see my Lowpoly.
    The second picture is the current status. Eyebrows and eyes are placeholder as well as the vest. You see, it`still a lot to do. :)

Hank_Wireframe_WIP.jpg

Hank_Face_WIP.jpg
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 14
    Here is my latest Progress on the Model. I really have to speed up for the next time. Only one month left. My Goal is to finish the Sculpt and Lowpoly with Bakes to the end of this week. There are still some parts to do, but I feel like I'm on a good way with him. Polypaint and eyebrows are heavy WIP.
    What do you think?

Hank_Progress_060114.jpg
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    The likeness is very good so far. As you're going to make a face rig for him I have to ask: does Hank (or the actor rather) always have a stern look or is that how he is when being neutral? I'm thinking mostly about the nose ridge / eyebrows area. I think it would be advantageous to aim for a neutral pose first and then applying the stern look afterwards using your rig.

How are you going to approach the eyes? Are you going to use the half-shut pose (like Naughty Dog did with Last of Us) or go with eyelids open?
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 14
    Hi again,
    please excuse the silence but my professor told me that I'm not allowed to show material of the work before I'd defended the thesis.

That's sad because I really would have liked to show more WIP and gather some more Feedback. But if you're interested in the process, I uploaded the dissertation as PDF, where you can gain a lot information about my workflow and my final assessment of the work.
    On my Website is also an interactive Webplayer where you can see the results in action.

Here is a Unity screenshot with the final result.

Bachelorthesis_Unity_Maks3D.jpg

EDIT: I've restored the Link.