Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Shrapnel

Hey everyone, it's about time I made one these threads, I'm a second year student at the university of Hertfordshire, I'm looking for crit of course :)

I'm creating this piece of Deus Ex Human Revolution concept art in Maya at the moment, for use in UDK;
alDp7lY.jpg

Here's an ambient occlusion render of it currently;

Il8JLSo.jpg

Thanks !

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hello Polycounters,

I've also been working on a self portrait ! Currently zBrushing the base mesh which I'll bake into a displacement map, c+c welcome as always !

jgpJGel.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Aaaand side and reference :D

V4MIPcs.jpg
    1VRPesB.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Here's a BPR render, sculpting and textures very WIP :)

hrJMEMD.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    CcSKDGR.jpg

All UV'd and ready for texturing !
  • Tamaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamaru polycounter lvl 5
    Wow good job on the self portrait! that would be impossible for me, and the Dues Ex scene lookes pretty well done so far. Gonna keep an eye out on this thread
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you might wanna check the position of your facial features using spotlight or overlaying screenshots in different views with your photos in photoshop to be more accurate. Cheers mate and thks for your words of encouragement btw.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @paulchen83 awesome crit thanks man, I'm going take a look at that profile, and I'll post the results up soon !

Just finished the second pass of surface trashing on the first section of the Deus Ex scene, next I'm going to go in for the refining pass and fix those edges !

UVrgjlS.jpg
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a little rusty with hard surface modelling in maya, do you mind posting a wireframe of what you just did. I'm curious. Thanks in advance. Good progress btw, keep up the good work.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Paul, here's the wireframe and the second pass of surface transferring, going to go in for the refining pass tomorrow ! It's not much to look at at the moment :(

wVWpFWf.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Started texturing, very early stages ! Thought I'd share a little progress

99BtAxU.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Got the first section in-engine today, no more working in Maya, STRICTLY REALTIME!

Did some more texture/normal work too, still very WIP, crit is welcomed as always :)

eFPOY2q.jpg
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good progress. well, not much to comment at the moment. i guess it looks too clean? keep up the good work:)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah you're right Paul, I'm going to get some dirt in those corners ! I'm going to start work on the specular maps too, I'm hoping it will help to break up the surfaces
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polyfriends

More WIP ! Started working in a specular map, my idea is that I want to catch highlights on the edges of the normal details. My lightmaps seem to be totally f*cked though, check out that cool shadow above the door !

Anyway, C+C welcome as always :)

WcKcm0E.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Update: Worked into all maps, I'm leaving this section be for now, going to try to get some rough maps for the other sections together, so I can see how all this looks !
    C+C as always :)

WAlN3Hw.jpg
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good progress, keep up the good work
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Started working on the second section today! I want to have the majority of the texturing done by the end of the week :)

C+C as always !

n7dmUay.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm fast losing steam with this one, I've just been working on getting some okay-ish textures in for the hand in on the 26th but whatever I do the whole thing just seem to look like crap, so yeah C+C, last section is obviously placeholder lol

7OYoFtI.jpg
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont be discouraged dude. it doesnt look like crap. it just look a little too empty. uve to put in more grooves, "cuts", screws, hinges. but ur "black" doors certainly dont look reflective enuff. i dont think u need to follow strictly to the concept. uve ur whole career to do that. its a school work, it shuld be fun to work on. add some of ur own creativity and design sense into it if u like.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey thanks for the encouragement Paul, I guess I'm just getting frustrated because I'm not improving fast enough, it's hard to stay motivated when what you produce doesn't look how you imagined it in your head >.<

Anyway here's a lil update, preliminary textures on everything now, I just need to make them look good

F2qVzFB.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Messing around with lighting because I'm pretty bored with texturing tonight, didn't know emissives could actually be used as light sources!

EaM2lX6.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polycounters, been teaching myself some UDK lighting and messing around with it in this scene today, deviating from concept a bit but I want interesting lighting. Also my pipe on the left seems to have somehow inverted itself but I've no idea how, any ideas?

IKP825K.jpg
  • paulchen83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no problem. i understand what u r going thru becoz im an impatient person myself. i might be worse. sometimes i get so stressed up and feel like such a failure that i get headaches and become very tired, cant work for the entire day. wat's the point man? u end up losing time (staring at ur artwork thinking its a piece of crap) while others r still in the race, i think u r getting it now. its not abt wat u produce sometimes, its abt wat u learned, and u cant see that physically or see the results of that knowledge immediately, so i learned to journal down wat i've learned every morning the next day. anyway, i digress, not sure abt the invert but maybe u shuld check ur normals, backface culling. maybe u need to make sure doubled-sided is turned on for object properties or rendering. just a guess. i compare the first and the latest, it looks a lot better now, just keep at it, u will get it right man. oh, i think the lights r a little too bright, i prefer something closer to the original concept where it is darker. cheers
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Screwing around with post process effects now, I've been away for a few days so I haven't done much, started work on a new project, progress of which I will post soon :)

xn9DSGM.jpg

And Paul: thanks again for the words of encouragement, it's great to have people supporting your work when things look bleak ! Turns out I had the blend mode on the material set to translucent and that was screwing things up >.<
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polycounters, I'm really done with this project now, I made a matinee and some alternate lighting, here's a video! Unless there is anything major, I'm not going to be changing anything else, I'm not crazy happy with it but it's time to take what I learned and move on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfS7FHCpjsA&feature=youtu.be
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    New & current project, a tree-house, that is - a house with a tree in it :P

IuGNA1g.jpg

No texture work yet, just finished UVing today and shoved it all into UDK, updates soon !
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yoo Polycount,

Been a while since I posted, but I'm getting back into the grind with a new project so I'll post some of what I've been doing recently.

I'm working on a new project for university with 4 others, I'm Technical Lead so I'm responsible for the rigging/particles/materials, all the delicious engine stuff basically, anyway for now I've just got a little demo of a rain drip I made, so take a look !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y327h0mYj9E&quot;]UDK Rain Drip Test - YouTube[/ame]

NOTE: I've fixed that ridiculously high particle count, one of my emitters was just constantly spawning and I didn't realise until I screen captured it >.<
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I've been doing some rigging for my second year university project recently, built the skeleton today! I think the legs are going to need some quite drastic overhaulage before I can add any real functionality though, anyway here's a progress shot :)

GJHIu.jpg