Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guardian Beast

yx2n3Ji.jpg

I'm working on this beast for a creature assignment. I started in Zbrush by using Dynamesh for the first time to block out the form. Then I used Zremesher so I could have a low subdiv in case I need to tweak the form, and reprojected the details from my duplicated Dynamesh back onto it with the morph brush etc. After that I Decimated it and exported it to Maya to set up the subtools for the eyes, claws & teeth. I'm going to have to do a complete retopo after I finish the sculpt, which will be a first for me, and I think I will use 3D Coat for it. Then it must be demonstrated in UDK.

Replies

• Artaekos_inactive
    And how do you post images on threads so people can see them without having to click a link?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    when you post theres a button for "Insert Image" click that and paste the link to your image. all that button does is add "after the link. I use imgur for uploading my images.
  • Artaekos_inactive
    coots7 wrote: »
    when you post theres a button for "Insert Image" click that and paste the link to your image. all that button does is add "after the link. I use imgur for uploading my images.

Thanks! I got it
  • Artaekos_inactive
    Status update! By they way it's only 20k tris, there's a poly display glitch.

1XassRM.jpg

This thing is due Thursday. I've got the low-poly and all of the baking done. My next step is to poly paint the high-res that I transferred UV attributes to from my retopologized low-poly. Hopefully that will work so I can export a diffuse map, because that and specular is all I have left.

Some quick questions,

about arranging AO and cavity maps in photoshop, I know you set the AO to multiply, and the cavity to overlay, but which should be above the other in the layer hierarchy? I know both should be above the diffuse map layer(s)

And how would you guys suggest I produce a specular map?
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adrian, for future reference, most forums have support for BBcode. To put in an image, it's usually urlOfImageHere.

As far as AO and CA is concerned; I usually look at things like that in terms of hierarchy: Cavity is local, whereas AO is more global. Therefore, I consider AO to be higher in the hierarchy. So I usually start with the CA as the base, multiply the AO over top of it, and then take the result and multiply that back over the base diffuse texture. Then it's just a matter of messing around with opacity until it looks right.

As far as Specular is concerned, I usually approach it as a two-step solution:

Step one, is derived from your texture map. Here, you can see my isometric me and shane are working on for John, and the diffuse map of the wall piece:

m8aq.jpg

vbk0.jpg

Once my diffuse is done, I usually stuff all the diffuse layers into a folder in photoshop, and then duplicate the folder for specular work.

From there, I adjust the color and B/W values of the different layers to acommodate what effect they'd have on specular. Exposed metal scratches are reflective; paint only has subtle specular; and the grunge overlays and such.

After which, I get this as my base specular, as derived from my diffuse texture:

60ce.jpg

After that, the second step is a neat trick I picked up from my various google sessions: Add highlights to edges and strong changes in geometrical vector. It really makes it stand out and look that much better.

That's done through what I call the 'highlight' layer. (And this is why I maintain the opinion that Crazybump IS good for something.)

The result is this, once adjusted in photoshop:

hb33.jpg

Place that above all your other specular layers in photoshop, and set the layer to 'lighten.' (This mode ensures that only white values affect the below layers; black does not). Then adjust the opacity of your highlight layer to desired effect.

The end result is this final specular map:

ku4u.jpg
  • Artaekos_inactive
    Thanks for the in-depth reply Mike