Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Hair?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
I am having problems with my character's hair. I seen several ways of doing hair (using planes, sculpting, box modeling etc.) but this hair is particularly tricky.

From my reference the hair seems to be layered and of course spiked anime styled. There's unfortunately not to many tutorials using anime spiked hair floating about that I know of.

Could this also be achieved with fibermesh in Zbrush?

If someone could help me out in figuring this style of hair out it would be greatly appreciated!
yUfSfOX.jpg

Replies

• darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3UfXZLt.jpg
    The news of my demise has been greatly exaggerated. Seriously, I need help with the hair. Suggestions?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I looks like he ate a really sour lemon.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Many methods, one of them is using the snakehook brush.

There's a hairstyling video in Pixologic's zclassroom under 3d brushes.

Another method is making an IMM brush with multiple ryu-style hair spikes.

Fibermesh could work but I think you'll just end up with random hair growth.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the useful replies and those videos seem to be really helpful I will check them out.

Matt, your site looks really amazing! You probably could give me some tips! lol
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you should defintely take it a step back and learn more abput anatomy, it's looking really unnatural and stuffing it with details doesn't fix that att ll
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    you should defintely take it a step back and learn more abput anatomy, it's looking really unnatural and stuffing it with details doesn't fix that att ll

Well, the anatomy was supposed to be exaggerated, I was going by some concept art from SF4 and it was more stylized then realistic so I had to improvise in places where I felt it was looking weird.

Please feel free to critique in areas you feel that needs improvement or that I could change so it would be better. It IS my first attempt at character modeling in Zbrush.

Jknj8OR.jpg
    No where near done, just giving a progress report. It's still needs to be retopogized. No maps have been added either, just base polycoloring. It does seem to be coming together though. Still a load of work that needs to be done. Gonna have to redo some assets too, I don't feel are strong enough and change some materials around.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Well, the anatomy was supposed to be exaggerated,
    Please feel free to critique in areas you feel that needs improvement

Serious, man?

I thought you're a self-teaching kid with your anatomy here but your link says you have....a Bachelors Degree in Game Art & Design. Is that for real? :poly122:

But whatever your intent, any practice is good in my book. :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Well, the anatomy was supposed to be exaggerated.

You cant exaggerate and stylize something you do not know and understand.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Serious, man?

I thought you're a self-teaching kid with your anatomy here but your link says you have....a Bachelors Degree in Game Art & Design. Is that for real? :poly122:

But whatever your intent, any practice is good in my book. :thumbup:

I feel like that sometimes..lol but yeah that's 4 years REAL! I didn't have the greatest school experience...that's all I am really going to say about it.
    What would Ryu do? He'd start training. I'd say study the torso heavily and only sculpt that for a while - don't worry about clothes or anything else just major forms. Download some sample ztools and study them - try to match them. Once you have a good understanding of the torso move on to the extremities.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?87247-Free-Zbrush-ZTL-Model-Thread

http://anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=10&sub=23#body

m_9474904_anatomy.jpg

Keep this thread going and keep pushing - you will look back on you first image and be able to judge your progress.
    Hopefully!

Seems like some good reference and I will def check them out!

I would really like to at least complete a project to the end before just sculpting a single part everyday. I am trying to rebuild my portfolio back up.
    BARDLER wrote: »
    You cant exaggerate and stylize something you do not know and understand.

Umm, ok. true and I agree, that's why I am asking for help!

RqAVeoW.jpg

If anyone wants to paintover my shots so I can see what I need to correct, that would be swell!

It would seem that I probably got caught up with drawing and not studying the form. It doesn't mean I cant correct it though!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've got to be honest man... the hair is the least of your worries here. as pointed out you really need to focus on the anatomy. i'd even got so far as to say forget making a character, and just do a bunch of studies.
  • leslievdb
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where we might encounter a problem. I'm coming at you with some more experience in Sculpting the figure and anatomy study in general and your leaning towards doing it your way.

Your way is not working at the moment - the figure you're making is way off. I can recognize that it's a torso with some arm masses protruding out but that's about it. It would take you more time and agony correcting it than it would to start fresh and learn more about the internal to external structures of the body.

You can't be precious with your work. Even if you spent a handful of hours on this already throw it away and start with a sphere and use clay tubes brush to make a torso.

Um....Not really (it's just one post), I am just trying to salvage hours of learning and work and complete a process to the end so I can learn a workflow. (There's nothing wrong with that right?) Even if it's not too good, I figure my next one will be better than the last but at least I won't have something that's not finished. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had plenty of people constantly telling me to start over, and I find that I just end up staying on something for a super long period of time and not really progressing anywhere or making it to the next step. Pretty much until I lose interest in it and even then it still not being s what you would be called industry standard work.

I also mentioned that I am trying to build a portfolio while looking for work. It doesn't seem feasible to me having a bunch of half finished stuff for employers to look at..? Please correct me if I am wrong...

Let me tell you guys a story. I once had a project I did for a Sci- fi wall. I was on that wall for almost 6 months straight adding to it, redoing pieces, etc. I had classmates tell me it was impressive however, the whole time my instructor told me that it wasn't industry standard but if I kept modeling like it I would eventually get a job.

After I graduated, I didn't get ANY work in the industry. And I have been actively trying. At suggestions of numerous critiques and forums (to include Polycount ) I basically scrapped everything from school and decided to keep my head in Digital Tutors and improve on everything I didn't pick up from school.

I don't won't people to think that I am not willing to listen to advice because I scrapped my whole portfolio to start over. It's just a bummer because I thought I was at least making strides in the area. I mean with numerous people posting in this thread, that means something right? The trick is to earn more positive responses..

I get the feeling that the majority of creditable artists on Polycount are so much higher on another level with their work, a noob like myself won't get any love except, "keep looking at reference" or "start over." I mean it's my very 1st freakin model so I know it's not going to be perfect.

I posted my work on Polycount and a lot of people told me my work was "good" not terrible, but just not "Industry Standard." (Whatever that means)

So now, I am stuck in this weird space since graduation. I decided to put my head into Digital Tutors and build upon everything I didn't quite get or wasn't exposed to in school.

I just wanted to let everyone know where I was coming from and that I am not being defensive. I mean I already scrapped my whole portfolio. I'm just trying to finish a project to the end so I don't have a bunch of unfinished work to put on my website.

Anyways, the body studies are a good idea, so I will do them on the side. I would like to at least be able to finish this Ryu so I have the idea of some type of workflow.
    i've got to be honest man... the hair is the least of your worries here. as pointed out you really need to focus on the anatomy. i'd even got so far as to say forget making a character, and just do a bunch of studies.

That's a good idea.

Thank you for your resources. I will be using them!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I know it sucks to be told to scrap what you're working on and do studies. But trust me man, if you are worried about wasting time then the worst thing you can do is to continue bashing your head against this model. Your highest priority right now should be to get your foundations in place. Do studies of real life objects, not photos, that will train your observational skills. And avoid stylization, you will learn much more from trying to match your subject accurately.
    As for anatomy, I really recommend that you try your hand at a digital ecorche. Model a skeleton and add all the layers of muscle on to it. With dynamesh that has become easier than ever. I guarantee this will skyrocket your anatomy knowledge. It takes more time and is a lot more work than just sculpting busts and arms, but understanding how muscles connect and move the body is a lot more valuable than just knowing the surface landmarks. I'll confidently claim it's a lot more efficient use of time than sculpting, say, a hundred torsos.

And one last thing. You keep mentioning you want to finish this character to learn a workflow. Right now your main concern should be to get your foundations in place rather than learn how to use a program, because that's what employers will look for. Besides, by doing studies you will still learn workflows so don't worry about that.

There is tons of amazing work here on Polycount and no shortage of artists with depressingly great skills. But you gotta remember that every single one of them started out at this exact spot. They too had to do tons of studies and spend countless hours studying anatomy and form. Nobody starts out great. Everyone's gotta do their art squats.

I would recommend that you seek out the Polycount Google+ Hangouts. Those places are always filled with lots of helpful artists who will be more than happy to help you out and give advice s long as you enter with a good attitude and a willingness to take critique.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    A finished piece of art won't look any good to employers unless it's a nice piece of art.

The reason for studies is that you'll learn faster than if you're taking something to completion. So even doing them on the side will help a lot.

Also, your website is empty; could you post some of your other work in this thread? I'm curious about what it looks like. Are you a character artist by nature, or a prop/environment artist?

I think you need to take a step back from your work and try to look at it objectively.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    A finished piece of art won't look any good to employers unless it's a nice piece of art.

The reason for studies is that you'll learn faster than if you're taking something to completion. So even doing them on the side will help a lot.

Also, your website is empty; could you post some of your other work in this thread? I'm curious about what it looks like. Are you a character artist by nature, or a prop/environment artist?

I think you need to take a step back from your work and try to look at it objectively.

Yep, I scrapped it all in regards to the 3D stuff. I am a Prop/Environment artist at trade, but I recently started dabbling in character art to try and see what I can accomplish in that regard. I will just link you to what I posted on Polycount with that Sci-Fi wall I was talking about:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115751

If you want to see more, hit me up on the PM.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Your modelling is actually really solid on the wall, but the textures and lighting make it look super flat and boring. It needs some nice spec to make it look more metalish. I don't know if there's a normal map, but if there is it feels very weak. There's also no consistency between the different parts. Some parts feel hand-painted and almost cartoony, while other parts are actually pretty nice and realistic (like the flat panel to the right). The wires are also a waste of polygons.

Just so you know. Obviously you won't go changing things now. It's definitely not pro-level, though, so I thought I'd give a few reasons why. Since you seemed a bit confused about it.

Also, here's an interesting thing about replies:

polycount_replyometer.jpg

Anyway, keep on working on characters. You'll only get better with time.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your modelling is actually really solid on the wall, but the textures and lighting make it look super flat and boring. It needs some nice spec to make it look more metalish. I don't know if there's a normal map, but if there is it feels very weak. There's also no consistency between the different parts. Some parts feel hand-painted and almost cartoony, while other parts are actually pretty nice and realistic (like the flat panel to the right). The wires are also a waste of polygons.

Just so you know. Obviously you won't go changing things now. It's definitely not pro-level, though, so I thought I'd give a few reasons why. Since you seemed a bit confused about it.

Also, here's an interesting thing about replies:

Anyway, keep on working on characters. You'll only get better with time.

LOL No doubt! Thanks for the reply man. Yeah, remember that wall was over 6 months old so everything your brought up I do have a better understanding of that now.

Will do on the character art! Now off to go sculpt some torso's now...
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Great! Remember; look at reference and try to match it as close as possible. One of your most important tools as an artist is your observational skill, so train it! :)
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    ten24 would also be a great place for anatomy reference:
    http://www.ten24.info/?mtheme_portfolio=artec-full-body-scanning

They have a whole bunch of images of full body scans and it's great to see these forms without any color.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth

Damn, that's a bit sad to see this thing soooo accurate. :'(
  • DireWolf
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone that provided me reference. I will post a update.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you to everyone that is providing me reference to my thread. Starting over..at least people are responding!
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hNpftFa.jpg

Started roughly sketching out the form and some detailing in the torso and back areas. I think proportionate wise it is already starting to look better.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    It looks way cleaner man. You're getting there, it looks way better indeed. But imo you should work a little more on your anatomy before jumping into the making of a full character.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do guys. I am just paranoid because on my website there's nothing on my website for 3D work anymore and I need to work. (Maybe, I should just do some small props in that regard..)

I will do another torso study and post it soon. I'll probably post 1 a week until everyone agree's it's good and then move into another part. (Like arms.)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    don`t forget to try and get as much silhouette out of every subdivision before subdividing
    its a lot harder to not get a blobby effect if you subdivide too soon.

also heres a cool pinterest link with a lot of anatomy related images http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don`t forget to try and get as much silhouette out of every subdivision before subdividing
    its a lot harder to not get a blobby effect if you subdivide too soon.

also heres a cool pinterest link with a lot of anatomy related images http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

That's true, I didn't even consider that. I'll keep and eye on that. Thanks for the references your providing, they are helping me out!
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0jmvm3D.jpg

Added some more detail to the arms and legs.

Now to work on hand's and feet. I think I will do some hand's and feet studies this week they seem to be a pain especially, feet!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see much of a difference from the last post rather than maybe and uprez and some minor touches.

u don't seem to want to listen - Do a torso. Keep the point count around 100-200 k and make it look correct at that rez before considering upping your resolution.

I can tell looking at the torso you dont know how the muscles are relating to the skeleton really at all.

Not really dude. I did mention I was still trying to do other stuff on the side. But I believe you, if it's not working, it's not working.

You gotta remember dude, you are a master anatomy sculpter and I am just starting.

Also, if you could take a moment to just do a quick draw over my screenshots
    at my mistakes, it would help me visually see what errors I am making, so I won't make them again.

I'm just freaking out because my portfolio is empty and at this rate, I'm not seeing much in the progress of actual quality work.

It's easy to say "everyone started like you" but it doesn't change the fact I still need to find a job to get my feet wet.

Anyways, starting on the next torso piece.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm just freaking out because my portfolio is empty and at this rate, I'm not seeing much in the progress of actual quality work.

It's easy to say "everyone started like you" but it doesn't change the fact I still need to find a job to get my feet wet.

sounds like you're rushing to get something finished. Are you a student soon to graduate?

try not to be too concerned with finding a job in the industry right now. you should just focus on your anatomy (if character art is something you would really like to do).

I'd say moving onto another torso piece is a smart thing to do. Maybe compare your last piece with some reference, see what looks wrong.. and make those changes in your next piece.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Having an empty portfolio is going to get you the same amount of jobs as a portfolio full of work that isn't up to par.

Investing the time in making props/characters/environments look great is what employers are looking for, not a portfolio that looks like the person still has a lot to learn.

Its really tough when time isn't on your side, but taking the time to do something right is far better than filling a portfolio with stuff that will never land you a job..

Just something to think about when you decide how far you want to take this guy..
  • sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Tadao215 wrote: »
    try not to be too concerned with finding a job in the industry right now. you should just focus on your anatomy (if character art is something you would really like to do).

I have to agree.

I took a look at your site and you have some great environmental pieces there. I'd say look for a job in that field and practice character art on the side. When your character modelling reaches the standard, that's when you apply for a modelling job. No need to rush things, you've got a lot ahead of you.

It feels like your projects are too big for your current skill level and I have to agree on what everyone has said already, start with a torso, or another isolated body part.

You have an idea of the silhouette shapes but the forms do not read well across the body. Keep at it. Your second sculpt is better than the first one.

EDIT:

I'd like to share an Anatomy Board I've compiled in Pinterest. Hope this helps you.

http://www.pinterest.com/joeatilano4/anatomy-nsfw/
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, thanks to everyone that is taking the time to respond to my thread. Now let me get everyone on the same page.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Video Game Art and Design. While I had a online portfolio, after 8 months of unemployment while aggressively trying to find work in the industry I have been told while my portfolio was "good" it was not up to "industry standard."

So I started to really put myself into Digital Tutors and learn and improve the stuff that I didn't get from school to include Zbrush in general. I have gained a bunch of certs since last month. I didn't have the best school experience and that's all I am going to say about it so I don't dwell in the past I also can't change I went to a bad school that didn't make sure I was prepared properly and wasted a bunch of money.

I have had a little bit of industry experience while I was in school for a internship working on a triple A title and got subsequently hired afterwards for a few more months. I did some other projects that didn't have anything to do with school and got my name on another released title for the PC and I also worked with some charity groups to involve gaming. That's all the experience I have had.

As of right now, (from the suggestions of industry professionals) I trashed my whole 3D portfolio from school to "reset" and create some higher quality work.

Basically I would just like to have some quality examples of 3D work to show potential employers that I can produce industry quality work.

For example if, I only have just like body studies for my Z brush portfolio (Let's say only a torso, but it is correctly proportionated and well-done) I am totally open to that. I am working on some small Maya props as we speak.

Now, the only issue I am seeing is that while I am practicing and learning intensively I am still learning. Rather, than seeing a project to the end. I am being told to start over at a certain point and try again.

Basically, at this rate (because I am still not so fast yet, but I am getting faster) I will never get anything accomplished because (since I am still not a master yet) there are always chinks in my armor (This being my finished asset).

So that's is why I am freaking out. Because in a few months it will be almost a year since I have had my degree and I have produced no new work that stands up yet, I am still modeling, sculpting, and studying daily.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, that sci-fi piece was awesome. If you can't get employed doing stuff that good then what am I doing here? lol Maybe I should settle for an Accounting degree and say wooptie-doo at least I got a job 8)
  • sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    So that's is why I am freaking out. Because in a few months it will be almost a year since I have had my degree and I have produced no new work that stands up yet, I am still modeling, sculpting, and studying daily.
    I think you're going in the wrong direction. Why go for 3D works if you already excel in environmental art? Take a job with the same position you had before. It will take significantly more time for you to get your 3D work to industry standard than what you have going in your portfolio.

Focus on where you excel and land a job that involves that, right? And in your free time practice doing 3D.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message