Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Saw Blade Bat - Melee Weapon

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I'm working on my first melee weapon.
I wanted to post on here first to get some feedback before moving forward onto the spec and gloss. Thanks in advance.

Blade_Bat_HP.jpg
BladeBat_Vertical.jpg
BladeBat_1.jpg
BladeBat_1Wire.jpg
BladeBat_2.jpg
BladeBat_2wire.jpg
BladeBat_3.jpg

Replies

• falcoknight
    Looks really good, and quite convincing as a low poly model. My suggestion would be to take the dirt/blood layer and lighten it. Right now it is making the item look a bit too muddy. The blood would look a bit better if it wasn't so dark, and the red tinge was more obvious. Would be neat to see a splatter on the actual blade as well.

Top notch work though!
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    @falconknight thanks for the feed back. I took out some of the overly dark spots on the tape. I can probably push the red just a little more. I was going for an old dried blood feel.

UPDATE - First pass spec, gloss, and some changes
    BladeBat_4.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The highpoly looks really great, but your texture lacks in my opinion.
    The rust on the sawblade is way too even, and its the eye candy of your piece, its missing personality. Put something special, tell a story.
    Edit: Ah you updated it , looks a lot more fancy now already

Your AO too strong, making it look pretty stilized at some parts (and with your black outline) while your texture tries to be realistic else. The wood grain is nearly black, that is strange aswell, then your metal is really flat and not vivid. Reflections, painted or through shader, color variation and such things could improve that a lot.

For the bandage, if you made some parts where the dirt did not apply because another bandage part overlayed, but then switched position and made that clean part appear, that would amaze me. And a nice background always helps ; ) Thats my crit
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle - Thanks for the advice. I'll probably use my presentation background I use on my website.

@Shrike - Yeah the main purpose for this weapon was to really work on my texturing because it is what I am the weakest on. I'll try and lighten up the AO, and I'm thinking about redoing the wood grain. I don't really like it any more and I think it just might be easier to just scrap it and go in a different direction. Also, when you say stylized, which style are you talking about? ie. WoW, ect
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE -
    New wood with logo
    saturated the blood on the wrap, and made "fresh spots" where the tape was moved
    lightened up background.
    turned down the AO in a few spots
    Also created a custom lighting scene in Marmoset for more control.

Another ideas to made it look more bad ass?

BladeBat_5.jpg
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This looks excellent.
    wouldn't it make more sense if the blood was on the blade?
    I'm guessing the person swinging this thing gets blood on their hands quite often, which stains the handle wrappings. The brown discolouration on the blades seems enough to me; mostly rust with a hint of old blood stains.
  • AtlusZMH
    Looks great!

The only thing that seems like it could be off to me is the circular wear on the sawblade. Unless it was used on a machine a lot before being latched to this bat, I think there would be less circular wear and more random wear from hitting it on things with the bat. If that makes sense 0.o

Or maybe it would be better to leave the circular wear, but have some scratches and dings ontop of it, showing that it has seen some use beyond just rotating on a saw machine. :)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Love that highpoly! have to ask, how'd you make the wires? Also for the low poly you used grids if i'm not wrong. Did you bake it to a plane? just curious on how you got the wires looking so rad even in the low poly
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek, yeah that was the main idea when I was making it. I thought blood would stain the wrap faster than the blade.
    @Atlus: Thanks! I originally had kind of a random rust pattern but a lot of people said it wasn't interesting enough, so i Googled some old saw blades and found a bunch of them have that circular rust patterns, like they were used on a circular saw before this weapon was put together. Here was the ref they suggested http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/158035/146119454/stock-photo-old-circular-saw-blade-isolated-on-white-146119454.jpg

@Iciban: Thanks, glad you like it! The process for the high poly was i made one barbed wire section with splines, and made sure it tiled perfectly! Next i made a spline around my model that i wanted the barbed wire to follow. Next, using the tiling barbed wire section, I tiled it several times, depending on how long my spline was, because there is no slider to tile an object more in Max using the PathDiform modifier. Then applied the PathDiform modifier, moved it to the spline, then adjusted some of the settings in the modifier to get to two ends to line up. Here is a screen shot of what i was talking about.
    wire_how%20to.jpg
    After that i took it into Zbrush and ran the noise modifier on it and done!

I'm not sure what you mean by "you used grids"

For the low poly, the bottom section of barbed wire is just a cylinder floating above the bat, with some "barb teeth" planes sticking out to help with the silhouette. The barbed sections around the blade are planes. I used the original splines and just lofted a plane along it so when i did the bake it would match perfectly.

If its hard to understand check out this thread. I just reverse engineered what he did, but then adapted it to some of the other things I was doing.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89483
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done. Time for something new
    Blade_Bat_FINAL.jpg