Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
davidmlally polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,

I've started a new likeness sculpting project for Jesse Pinkman (played by Aaron Paul on Breaking Bad). I'll be sculpting this as a one off (it won't be sculpted neutral, then rigged, etc.). I'm starting with the bust then will be working my way out from there. Any C&C along the way is much appreciated. Thanks!

11/5 Update:
pinkman_dlally_1105.png

OLD
10/25 Update:
pinkman_dlally_1025.jpg

10/24 Update:
blog_pinkman_01.jpg

10/23 Update:
pinkman_dlally_1023.jpg

Replies

• Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    That's brilliant! About time someone showed Aaron some love.

*Insert obligatory "Bitch!" here*
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, thanks for checking it out!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice man! I could tell immediately who it was. Keep it up!
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: In hindsight, I think the older version looks more like Jesse, this one has been 'normalized' too much. Going to revert and move forward from there. You win some, you lose some.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey man, looking good for now. Lookalike exercices sure are hard ^^, here's my two cents :

-I think his ears should be higher. I found a reference looking like your model and the ears doesn't go below his nose

- His nose is longer on the photo, hence you should lower the mouth, it'll change his expression (seems like he's pouting atm)

- The eyes could be a tad more apart, you barely have room for another one in between, whereas on the photothe bridge is bigger.

-The overall face could be thinner, this gives the impression of a fattier Jesse for now.

Keep going at it man !
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Scythe, thanks for the notes, this is good stuff. I'll address those in my next pass. Thanks!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I'd stay away from any color. It's easy to tell who it is when you project a photo on top haha. Once you nail the sculpt you'll be in a stronger position to paint it
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've blasted the color away moving forward. It was more of a checkpoint, but I think it actually caused me to lose my focus a bit. Thanks for the comment!
  • AssassinoZockt
    Great work, bitch! :D
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,
    A small update here as I continue to push things around on this likeness sculpt. The expression, slight pout is intentional. I'm trying to capture the tortured Jessie of Seasons 4-5 (before he grows the beard). I think this round of edits helps add the youthful feeling to him again. I think I'll start on the body, step away from the face for a bit, and return to it again shortly after.

pinkman_dlally_1021.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a base body for an average/skinny build for Jesse. I didn't flesh it out too much as I knew I wanted to just use it as a guide for the clothing. I'm using MD for the base cloth setup, then taking it into ZBrush for detailing soon. I'll be adding a hoodie and sneakers, but here's the general idea for the rest of the base objects:

pinkman_dlally_1023.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again guys, I've spent some more time setting up the hoodie and sneakers. I've been doing a lot of work in Marvelous, so I decided to share one of the setups for patterns that I've been creating. Here is the pattern for the hoodie, and how it was originally draped, before interactively adjusting the pose for fallen hood:

blog_pinkman_02.jpg

To generate the collision mesh, I took the body for my character into ZBrush, Dynameshed it, then remeshed it twice to get a medium and low resolution mesh that would behave better for cloth collisions in Marvelous Designer:

pinkman3_dlally_1023.jpg

And here's a preview of the result in ZBrush. Keep in mind that these are all base models that will be remeshed and sculpt-adjusted in ZBrush.

blog_pinkman_01.jpg

As always, c&c welcome! Thanks again for taking a look!
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, here are some of the latest updates for 10/25. I have a new pose in, with some additional base cloth objects and accessories. I'm going to get started on sculpting the cloth now, but I'm still open to any C&C. Thanks for the comments so far! :)

pinkman_dlally_1025.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I think you are trusting marvelous designer to do too much for you. It is a good program, but has some faults that I think are expressed in your work.

First is the jeans. Jeans crumple with sharp edges, but your jeans are soft and pillowy, because MD has a hard time simulating the stuff denim. Beyond that, jeans are going to need stress wrinkles (also called memory wrinkles), and a significant amount more of micro creasing. Check out some 3d scanned clothing for good examples of what you are missing.

The jacket suffers from the same stuff, although MD is better at cotton so that's on your side. However the way it has draped the back of the jacket is not going to be at all optimal for when you go to do a low-poly, or for when the character is moving. Typically since most games don't have cloth sim, you'd want a more neutral state for the t-pose. Beyond that, the jacket is missing any smaller detailing that MD simply cannot simulate.

Best bet for people learning to do clothing is to look up scan data without any diffuse. Try searching for the 10/24 scans on zbrushcentral, they are some fantastic references that should help quite a bit.

Good luck.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very close, but I think you could do some more with the face. Looking at this picture:

http://seriesaddict.fr/images/galerie/Breaking-Bad/promoSaison-2/Jesse%20Pinkman%20-2.jpg

It looks like the nose isn't quite there yet, seems too wide in the middle of the face, the eyes come to a point at the outer edges instead of being more rounded, and his jawbone seems to come up slightly too high and is too wide.

Looks good so far, you're very close.

Here is a picture of him later in the series:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/Jesse_Pinkman2.jpg

This might be better:

http://images.amcnetworks.com/amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/BB-S5B-Jesse-590.jpg

His neck looks much larger at the base in your sculpt than his actual neck too.
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to look at this model so far.

ysalex - Hi there, I'm a fan of your work --loved the 'shadows' piece! I couldn't agree more. I never use Marvelous for its out-of-the-box output. I always intend to go in for a true sculpting pass post-simulation. For denim, I typically simulate, then go in with some planar and pinch brushes in ZBrush to bring some of that sharpness back. I'll also be sure to add plenty of memory wrinkles here. Hopefully you'll have time to stop back around and see a later post when I have a chance to turn that around. I'd love your feedback. I'll also be sure to check out some of the scan data, that sounds really interesting.

RexM - Thanks for the notes! I'm intending to revisit the face one more time now that I have a better idea of what pose I'd like to have the character in. Maybe I can do more with the expression that is a bit more Jesse. Thanks for the references images, really appreciate it! Great environment work on your end, by the way!

Thanks again-

-Dave
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I've been a little short on time, but I'm slowing slugging away at some of the notes mentioned previously. I'm now getting into the cloth detailing and some additional face adjustments. C&C always welcome. Thanks for checking it out!

11/5 Update:
    pinkman_dlally_1105.png