Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vietnam soldier

Hey all!

I've been working on this guy for a while now and I can finally call him finished!

So, what's up with this?
I work a lot with low-res models and textures, so basically I just wanted to make a higher resolution asset for a change :poly121:

The aim for this model was to create a character with specs for a high-end PC or next-gen console game that could hold up for cutscenes and close ups.

I've learned much from doing this project. I can still see some mistakes and flaws with the final version but I felt that I had to wrap this up to finally start with something else :poly142:

Critz-n-titz are always welcome as usual.

I hope you find it interesting :thumbup:

soldier_explosion.png
soldier_closeup_front.png
soldier_closeup_back.png
soldier_specs.png
thompson.png
equipment.png
textures.png
wireframe.png

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    There's some modularity which didn't make it to the presentation shots.
    For example, it's possible to remove the flak vest and equipment. Also I made a bandaged version for the head.

bandaid.png

The weapon has some moveable parts. Maybe it would be cool to have a cutscene where he cleans or dissemble his weapon while being dismissed!

parts.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    pretty cool, my only crit is the skin looks a bit plastic in the renders.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretty sweet. Love all the accessories. You've definitely put the effort in!

What was the triangle count in the end? If you're aiming for next-gen (especially with cut scenes) then I think it wouldn't have hurt to have more polys in there.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Thanks for the input guys!

My intention with the skin was to a sweaty look. I tried out diffirent methods to simulate this, for intance sweatdrops in the specular map and normalmapped driplets, but it ended up with looking like either milk or some weird skin condition... If someone has a good method of achieving this, feel free to share!

The total tri-count landed on 35,119. I used The Witcher 2 as reference for the triangle count. I guess next-gen characters could be higher though!
    I have yet played around with tessellation which does a huge diffirence. I wonder if it works fine with skinweighted meshes though.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    One thing stands out to me at the moment. In the "action shots" his face looks completely calm. Surely he would be pulling a more fearful expression?
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff man! :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Looks very nice so far. Only crit is that for a guy fighting in Nam, he and his gear/clothing is really clean. I'd expect there to be a lot more in terms of wear and general dirt build up.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a really awesome work!
    And I suggest to improve his skin.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    nice work Carl, tell me is there a quick workaround for the hair alpha cards,whether its making or placing them? I am about to do my characters hair and initially thinking make a hair for the main bulk of his hair and create alpha cards for parts that are scruffy.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    @Kroma
    Definately! I don't have experience in facial rigging though.
    It's something I will look into in the future.

@Twoflower

@MrHobo
    True! I'll take that in consideration.

@silkroadgame
    Thank you!

@kunglao
    I used Maya's snap to surface tool "make object live". It's still a lot of brute force to it though. Also, I would suggest to make the hair texture before you do the planes, so you can actually see the coverage. Only using planes with a default material can be misleading.