Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Archer

Leb
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Leb polycounter lvl 6
Current project I am chipping away at. This is the recent sculpt of it. Going for a female archer that is a bit worse for wear. Hopefully will be back with updates sooon! :)

dS7qjDS.jpg?1

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey leb, looking really good. Only crit I have is that the crotch sags and seems overlarge compared to the way the rest of the pants are sitting.

Anyways really is looking good.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Hey looks really good, i think it would be cool if she had some long boots
  • slkisor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really loving this so far! She looks badass! The only thing that's catching my eye that I'd revisit is her cowl. It seems a little too bunched up and stiff around her neck. It might be on the angle that I'm seeing her, but a little more visual clarity on where the hood is tucking into might serve you well. I'm assuming it's going into her vest, but the bulk of the cloth bunches too high to make that convincing. I'd expect it to gather closer to her collarbone than it does in the sculpt.

I'm really looking forward to development on this one. Keep up the good work!
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good so far!
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! Looks great, but make sure you fix that crotch because it's making your model look dwarfed (I am assuming that's not what you're going for). Usually the pubic bone is roughly the half way point of a character (in terms of height).

Overall, wonderful job, the character is looking great so far!
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Small update. Hopefully fixed the crotch problem. I'm liking it better. Changed the folds in the hood and pants up a bit. The other ones were looking a bit too sharp. Still just a few things I want to clean up then I'll head into the low poly. Thanks for the all feedback guys! :)

pm9LD4W.jpg?1
  • slkisor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress! Now that I've seen her from the back, there is one thing about her feet that really stick out to me. Being experienced in wearing heels, those boots would be a nightmare. It doesn't look like the heel sitting underneath the foot in a way that would support weight in a balanced way. You've got a great silhouette and flow happening, but it gets lost at the heel and feels clunky. I adore the detail, and I think shifting that heel to fit underneath the...heel, will go really far.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Dustin, that paint over looks great. Leb play around with the proportions a bit more, make a few variations and take it from there. I think Dustin's paint-over works quite nice, but it may be more feminine than what you were going for.
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    slkisor - Yeah I can see what you mean. The heel is a bit angled with the curve of the leg,it should be straight but I'll double check with reference.

dustinbrown - Thanks so much man :)! The legs I have now are waaay to short after looking at both of images and I like the change to the torso.

Leinad - I agree. A lot of work ahead!
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Final high poly shot. Feeling pretty good about this now. Might do a posed version of the high poly but I'm dying to dig into some texturing :). Thanks for all the feedback guys! Appreciate it!

TcgGbxp.jpg
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Quick preview of the texturing. Slowly getting there. Don't have the spec/gloss for the body setup just yet but working on it :). Still have her bow and arrows to set up too.

vDD0uzq.jpg
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    very nice progress so far
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if it's the textures or the render, but it's looking really dark right now.

What are you rendering it in? I prefer to keep marmoset on my second screen, with the psd's hooked directly into it so whenever I save it updates and i can get a good engine quality preview as I work.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice. Looks like it would fit right into the Witcher 2. Keep going!
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    X³²Lapis - Thanks! Your Guilty Gear character is awesome been following that. ^^

Fingus - Damn your right. Checked it on a different computer. Guess the colors on my laptop are waaay off. :( Going be hell to light but hopefully I got it somewhat the same now.

tynew - Thanks. To be compared to the Witcher is an honour! :)

Added some patterns to the cloth pieces. I think sells it a bit more. Still kinda desaturated though.

Ke9oCdW.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Pretty awesome. I can't help but think that some of the grime you have placed on the pants feels incorrect. Right now it looks like you applied a few mud splatters but they don't really conform to where mud might appear on someone who lives/hunts in the woods. I would think this character may be kneeling while setting traps or aiming their bow. They might have a heavier buildup on their knees and the toes of their boots from this.

I don't know. Just some thoughts though. Oh, also I would advise against rendering on black background. It makes it hard to tell where the shadows are on your character vs the background. The inseam of the pants and under the arms are hard to spot the silhouette because of this.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Those arrow shafts seem quite thin too. And I agree with praetus, the grime seems off at the moment.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the color and design choices you made.
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Main presentation shot. Just a few more shots and it will be time to put the project to bed. Thanks for all the feedback guys :)! This project has been a great learning experience for me.

YbA3rBm.jpg
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress!
    The textures of her clothes are good.