Closed Thread
Closed Thread

Old (#1)
Pre-order discount!

The beta will continue as a private beta until launch, at which point we will have a trial version available for everyone to try. Due to the positive reception we've gotten so far and the great feedback from our private testers we've decide to skip the public beta and go straight to release.

Anyone who has contacted me recently about getting in the beta, sorry, we're not going to add anyone else due to the official release coming up shortly.

Whats new in Toolbag 2?

This thread is open to everyone however, not only the private beta testers. If you guys have questions or comments about TB2, I will do my best to try and answer them.

You can also contact us at support@marmoset.co for any issues that you are not comfortable with or able to share publicly.

PS: If I (or anyone from Marmoset) contacted you about the private beta and you have not received a tester agreement, please get in touch either via PM or email at earthqke@marmoset.co.

We've noticed that people have been shooping in the TB2 logo to screenshots, so we figured we'd make it easy for you guys:

Zip file with alpha'd PNGs for TB2 logo

UPDATE: NEW BUILD Toolbag 2.0 b2 is out!

If you’re in the beta program you should get an email notification about the new build with download links. If you’ve got a build already, launch it and you should get a prompt to update (if you do not get a prompt, check your firewall/anti-virus settings and make sure internet access is granted for toolbag.exe, or follow the link in the email to the manual update download).

We’ve changed/added a bunch of stuff, including a revamped skin shader, tweaks to the UI and general usability, re-organized the material editor for improved flexibility, metalness reflectivity mode, object visibility, ao/cavity map support, detail normal map support, and much more. Check the full list of changes here:

Toolbag 2 beta 2 changelog

Some notes:
  • The material system re-order will break existing scene files. The scenes will still open, but you may need to set up your materials again (the materials should still be assigned to the appropriate mesh chunks.
  • We still have some general scale issues, we have ideas that we’re working on to deal with it, however, please bear with us for the moment. You may notice that some of the settings in the skin shader are very scale-dependent. If the skin shader looks borked, check your mesh scale. A quick way to check mesh scale is to move your mesh around in the viewport and then check the numbers in the transform tab of the object properties - if the numbers say something like 1243 units, try scaling your mesh down in your 3d app and re-importing it.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE: Private beta build 3.. ERR 4 is out!

If you've got a build, load it up and you should get a notice to update.

This build comes wit the usual spattering of new features and bug fixes, including UNDO, some tweaks to the movement/rotation widget, anisotropic specular shader(make sure to set both reflectivity and gloss to aniso to use) microfiber shader (lambert + fuzz yay!), focus tracking to keep your model in focus while adjust the camera, properly synced normal maps from 3ds max and a variety of other things.

Minor update 4:

B4 is out with a few fixes and new features. Ansio now actually works (yay!), the skin shader bug that was found has been fixed, selection of focus point with MMB (when using DOF, this rules, try it!), some new key combos for navigation on laptops w/o MMB (alt+shift for pan, ctrl+shift for focus point), and some updates to preferences and visibility stuff.

The full changelog can be found here:

Toolbag beta build 3 changelog

Thank you guys so much for the feedback you’ve given so far, and as always, let us know what you think!

Last edited by EarthQuake; 11-29-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Offline , Moderator, 10,650 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Iowa City, IA  

Old (#2)
Nice, I was going to ask about posting images made with it publicly, but that seems to be no problem in the light of this thread.
So excited, cant wait to get the download link
Andreas Strømberg
Looking for work.
Portfolio - www.strombergart.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,595 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Norway Send a message via Skype™ to Stromberg90  

Old (#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromberg90 View Post
Nice, I was going to ask about posting images made with it publicly, but that seems to be no problem in the light of this thread.
So excited, cant wait to get the download link
Yep, no restrictions on showing images!

Old (#4)
Ahhhh cant wait to see some artwork from it.
I would love to be able to put my car I am making in there, hint hint wink wink :p
"I greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, knowledge, feedback and/or any critique on my work." Thanks!
Portfolio - Associate Environment Artist @ Crystal Dynamics.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,387 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location San Jose  

Old (#5)
Not quite a problem at the moment, but once it is complete will it be a free update to all Toolbag users? or be a paid upgrade? or be a separate software all together?
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location UK  

Old (#6)
Pretty sure on the facebook page they said its going to be a paid upgrade.
Offline , polygon, 593 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Edinburgh  

Old (#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultsound View Post
Not quite a problem at the moment, but once it is complete will it be a free update to all Toolbag users? or be a paid upgrade? or be a separate software all together?
Toolbag 2 will not be a free upgrade for Toolbag 1 users. Sorry, I can't give any details on pricing or discounts for existing users yet.

Old (#8)
Sweet! Gonna pick it up once it goes public.
Portfolio | 3D artist @ Born Ready Games
Six Million Polygon Man - "Gentlemen, we can retopo him. We have the Zbrush."
Offline , polygon, 554 Posts, Join Date Jun 2008, Location Guildford, UK Send a message via MSN to Millenia Send a message via Skype™ to Millenia  

Old (#9)
Can't wait to put it through its paces on OSX!
Offline , null, 8 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013, Location Toronto  

Old (#10)
Hey EQ, not sure how I missed this thread, I sent my initial feedback to the wrong e-mail.

Anyways, I played around with it for a couple of minutes, will give it a real go this weekend. So far these are things I noticed, mostly small issues, but perhaps useful to know anyways
  • 'F' for focus, to place the mesh/selected mesh in the center of the screen.
  • After clicking 'Hide UI' I had no idea how to bring it back. Perhaps there should be a clearer way of bringing it back. Perhaps after hiding it, show a little message saying "Press CTRL-U to bring back the UI" and that message slowly fades out.
  • Have an option to show the folder after creating a turntable animation. And the default folder location is not saved after quitting toolbag.
  • When the user tries to quit the program, prompt a dialogue to save the scene to prevent work loss.
  • Remember the size of the window after re-starting the toolbag.
www.gameartist.nl
Environment/Technical Artist
Offline , polygon, 594 Posts, Join Date Aug 2005, Location Netherlands Send a message via MSN to osman  

Old (#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osman View Post
Hey EQ, not sure how I missed this thread, I sent my initial feedback to the wrong e-mail.

Anyways, I played around with it for a couple of minutes, will give it a real go this weekend. So far these are things I noticed, mostly small issues, but perhaps useful to know anyways
  • 'F' for focus, to place the mesh/selected mesh in the center of the screen.
  • After clicking 'Hide UI' I had no idea how to bring it back. Perhaps there should be a clearer way of bringing it back. Perhaps after hiding it, show a little message saying "Press CTRL-U to bring back the UI" and that message slowly fades out.
  • Have an option to show the folder after creating a turntable animation. And the default folder location is not saved after quitting toolbag.
  • When the user tries to quit the program, prompt a dialogue to save the scene to prevent work loss.
  • Remember the size of the window after re-starting the toolbag.
Awesome thanks! No issue is too small to be help, so please feel free to let us know even the most minor things you find.

Space hides and shows the UI, like TB1, but I can see how that would be really confusing for people haven't used TB1, seeing as the menu item to show it disapears. Good catch!

Old (#12)
10 posts and only one image. Come on guys, show some stuff!
magic happens here... sometimes

Vimeo
Twitter

"If it's not real-time, it's a piece of shit not a state of the art technology" - me
Offline , spline, 107 Posts, Join Date Feb 2013,  

Old (#13)
is there anyway to get into the private beta at this point? im pretty interested..
Offline , triangle, 262 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012, Location San Diego  

Old (#14)
Have been testing out some, really liking the new features and how it works
Have a few bug reports, suggestions and some cheesy images :P

Bug: One pixel line(see image)

Bug: Transform gizmo disappears(see image)

Bug: Black cubes when using local reflection.(see image)

Bug: Shaders to do not always appear before clicked on.

Suggestions:
Would be nice with a autofocus feature.
Would be nice to could right click in the outliner to create new objects.
Make the light color more apparent, I thought it was a checkbox.
Ability to import own background image.
Would be nice to be able to lock the camera.
Would be nice with a none option for sky, even though brightness can be set to 0.0

Highpoly viewed on toolbag2 with skin shader and dynamic lights.

Golden gun, used the gold preset inside toolbag2, was awesome
Andreas Strømberg
Looking for work.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,595 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Norway Send a message via Skype™ to Stromberg90  

Old (#15)
I cannot wait to see some more projects using this, and to get my hands on it! Looking awesome already.
Offline , I love typing, 8,906 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#16)
I'll get some stuff in ASAP.
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,125 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#17)
Strom: Sweet! Whats the tricount on your HP character? I've gotten 5 million tris mesh to load but haven't tried higher than that.

Old (#18)
Is there any system requirements you can list? Is it DX11 only or anything?
Offline , I love typing, 8,906 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
Is there any system requirements you can list? Is it DX11 only or anything?
We don't have an official system requirements list yet. I think DX10 is a requirement, and I'm pretty sure we're going 64-bit only. Windows and OSX (10.6.8 or later).

Other than that, you really just want a big beefy video card for best performance, its basically a GPU based renderer so it really stresses the video card (cpu etc is not important). I've ran it on some lowly laptops with integrated Intel GPUs, and it runs, but not great with all the fancy stuff ticked on.

Old (#20)
Also I assume if we bought Toolbag 1 right now we'd at least get the purchase price off Toolbag 2?

Old (#21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
Also I assume if we bought Toolbag 1 right now we'd at least get the purchase price off Toolbag 2?
Sorry, pricing has not been finalized yet, I probably won't be able to comment on pricing until we're out of beta and the official 2.0 release is announced.

Old (#22)
what happened to the anisotropic shaders (for hair), and translucency? i've only got cutout and dithered alpha... can't get hair to look too hot at the moment =/

also a two sided toggler?

Last edited by almighty_gir; 10-03-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,125 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#23)
Hi all, I tested it out quickly with a model I did a few years ago; I'm using a quite old MacBookPro with these specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Unfortunately, the performance is really choppy on my hardware, and it's barely usable with advanced features turned on, like depth of field.

Regarding interface, I found very useful the hotkeys used in Marmoset 1, especially the SHIFT key to rotate the environment, the TAB to switch between tabs and the SPACEBAR to toggle the UI; would be great to have these hotkeys, or at least the opportunity to map them.

Also, would be great to have the opportunity to create a transparent ground with only the shadow of the model on it, pretty like the ground works in Zbrush. Or, even better, a background shader, assignable to objects, transparent but with opaque shadows; such feature would create limitless opportunities for rendering and compositing.

I hope that someone else has the opportunity to try this beta with a more powerful Mac, as mine is way too old; nonetheless, I'm really excited to have Marmoset running on OSX!

marmoset_test1_01b.jpg

marmoset_test1_02b.jpg

marmoset_test1_03.jpg
Stefano Bernardi
www.stefanobernardi.net
Offline , null, 24 Posts, Join Date May 2012,  

Old (#24)
almighty_gir:
I could get hair to look pretty sweet, with the dithered alpha.

All characters I show are made by SveinY

EarthQuake: That's pretty sweet, considering it's a real time render.
The character where "only" around 400.000 tri's, the vehicle though is on 2.3 million triangles and it loaded really fast.
Andreas Strømberg
Looking for work.

Old (#25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gir
also a two sided toggler?
I second this, i cant find it anywhere.

BUG: light widget disapears when directly between the model and the camera

Sugestions: can we have the spotlight widget with the cone back, I'm not seeing a correspondence between the current widget and the light direction.

is it worth the functionality of bringing the maps across when you duplicate a material?

Last edited by seth.; 10-03-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Offline , polycounter, 1,073 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009,  

Closed Thread