Author : Ainsley

Old (#1)
Hello all,

I decided to start working on a Rocks pack for the asset store

my goal for now :
  • 3 big rocks + 3 little rocks (Shared uv space for 1 big + 1 small)
  • 2 tileables texture
  • 5 cliff models (using the tileable texture)
  • and a scene for presentation

What's done :
  • 2 big rock + 1 small
And i'll maybe include the zbrush and psd file, and other source for sharing within the package

video tutorials :

Playlist :
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ogcYXtyWMg-l5S

there's the first rock !

unity render

marmoset render (I try to stay away from marmoset because the final product will be in unity after all)

zbrush

Last edited by Strkl; 10-18-2013 at 06:21 AM..
My rock pack thread - Blog - Portfolio 2D/3D artist - Ubisoft - Watch_Dogs | Unity Rock Pack 01
Offline , spline, 141 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Paris  

Old (#2)
This rocks!
Offline , triangle, 339 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Phoenix  

Old (#3)
nice rock dude
r4ptur3 || web site || DominanceWar IV || PCBrawl ||
Offline , polycounter, 890 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Playa Del Rey, CA Send a message via AIM to r4ptur3  

Old (#4)
Cool, man! I had mad respects for fellow rock sculptors. What are your brushes of choice for these babies?
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,013 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#5)
Dude. Best rock I've seen in a long time. The textures are fabulous.
This is just using a tileable texture?
Cordell Felix - Environment Artist - Visceral Games
Cordell's Portfolio - linkedin
Offline , triangle, 342 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Los Angeles Send a message via Skype™ to Cordell Felix  

Old (#6)
Very nice!

My only suggestion is that if you're looking for a way to add some fine detail, plumose fractures might be the way to go; it kinda looks like you already have some going in the last picture, top-center of the leftmost rock.
There are plenty of other kinds of shapes and patterns that you can add in either just the diffuse or just the normal; have a quick look through this (don't worry about the math).
Offline , spline, 218 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location orange county, ca, usa  

Old (#7)
thanks everyone !

@ErichWK I'll try too post some timelaspe to show my process (both for tileable texture & rocks alone) and for my diffuse too.
I use mostly trim dynamic & trim smooth border (customized a bit) with some alphas, some clay brushes (with alpha again)

I also use a custom insert mesh brush to add some small pebble (but again, i'll make a video tutorial later)

@Cordell Felix thanks, this one got a specific set of diffuse & normal (i'll post them tomorrow) but I'm almost done with the first tileable texture

@dissonance Thanks for the link ! That's a nice idea to add those details, with these rocks I'm trying to stay generic without too many flashy details, since they will be used to populate levels, and there will be many of the same model duplicated everywhere ^^, but again, thank for the link, I'll check it out!
My rock pack thread - Blog - Portfolio 2D/3D artist - Ubisoft - Watch_Dogs | Unity Rock Pack 01

Old (#8)
Subbded! looks great. I'll wait for the timelapse ;D
Offline , triangle, 427 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012, Location Sanok, PL  

Old (#9)
excellent work Strkl. This threads in my 'best threads' folder. Cant wait for the video
Offline , spline, 245 Posts, Join Date May 2012, Location Melbourne Australia Send a message via Skype™ to gartht3d  

Old (#10)
Thanks all, some progress (or not)

I finished a tileable texture, but frankly I'm not happy with it, and Its not good enough for the quality I'm targeting so I think i'll redo it again, but here's the screens anyway !

I'm not happy with the shapes & the diffuse, I'll put this one aside for now

quick test in unity with a simple shader blending 2 diffuse & 2 normal using vertex color

Last edited by Strkl; 10-03-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old (#11)
You have high standards; I think that looks great. As does your first sculpt.
Offline , polycounter, 919 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Australia  

Old (#12)
Thanks, It looks kinda cool on a plane or whatnot but used on a terrain or a real production setting the tiling and the shape stand out quite a bit ^^

I finished the video of the sculpting & retopo & maps baking, I'll do the texturing tomorrow and post the video this week or next week

Last edited by Strkl; 10-03-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old (#13)
Just A quick question, for the sculpting video what do you prefer, a quick time lapse or real time video (the video is 30 min long maybe that's too boring too watch)

Last edited by Strkl; 10-03-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old (#14)
Whatever you upload is fine for me men, just put good background music

Really good output, keep it up.
Offline , vertex, 27 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011,  

Old (#15)
Wenda's World Machine to CE/UDK video(s) were hours long and I was fine with that. I'd prefer that you leave in bits for us to skip over rather than cut something out and have us wishing it was left in.

Also, I agree with Bek; it looks just fine to me.
Offline , spline, 218 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location orange county, ca, usa  

Old (#16)
I prefer the long video with some commentary, but with some good ambient music should be cool too.

Strkl; how did you get your normals? Via MRGBZ grabber with standard Normal MatCap? Because it's very strong. Did you try the AO_normal_matcap from pixologic site?

Also great diffuse. Unity get this quality down. As always.

Old (#17)
16 Years old and already made it in the credits of Battlefield 4! :]
Offline , line, 63 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strkl View Post
It looks kinda cool on a plane or whatnot but used on a terrain or a real production setting the tiling and the shape stand out quite a bit
What if you include it in your pack as a small (512?) texture so it's obviously not meant to be tiled across large surfaces but can be used for smaller sections? Just a thought.

And I'd be fine with a long video. If in doubt you could always do both
Offline , polycounter, 919 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Australia  

Old (#19)
I think I'll do as you said Bek !

@Mr Significant I usually do two grab one with the default zbrush normal matcap and the one from the website, and blend the two to get the result I'm going for, But you're right this one is a bit to high right now^^

Here a quick update, I finished the second rock on zbrush (baking done also)

I did record the sculpting & the baking process, I'll record the texturing tomorrow I think...

here's the video ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zba7...ature=youtu.be

https://vimeo.com/76156627

Last edited by Strkl; 10-05-2013 at 12:38 AM..

Old (#20)
Thanks for the vids!
Offline , spline, 117 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location San Francisco, CA  

Old (#21)
Thanks for the videos! This is awesome man.
Offline , spline, 148 Posts, Join Date Jan 2013, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#22)
Very kind for doing the videos <3! and absolutely lovely rocks buddy!
Offline , polygon, 591 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location UK ! Send a message via MSN to Razorb  

Old (#23)
YouTube what the hell is wrong with you?

Strkl thanks for the video. Very nice music.

Old (#24)
thanks guys, I'll edit the video of the baking process soon, after this rock is done i'll do a video,of my process for tileable textures!

Old (#25)
hello im kinda new to zbrush so i was just wondering how do you merge those 2 meshes into one (vimeo video 2:30min)
Offline , vertex, 31 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013,