Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Huge Sci-Fi Foundry [WIP]

Replies

• Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Aaaaa such scale!

Been following this for a while, just keeps getting bigger and better. Cannot wait for your breakdown, would you be able to do something that can be saved i.e. a PDF like in this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124123? It would make mine and I'm sure someone else's day.

Thanks and keep going :)
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    @SamirDuran Thanks! Your Osom

@Kroma! Thanks dude. As a matter of fact I shall! Hopefully this environment will turn out as good as the one you linked :S

I made some lights for my tunnel! ^^

MLUpYTR.jpg

yJ4pSJH.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this, I have been very busy with other projects at school but progress on this environment is still going strong. Lightmaps take foreverr :(

Edit: (Reuploaded Images)

nLn3GS0.jpg

I22iFqQ.jpg

JINXJte.jpg
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Really cool work. The image quality though seems really low?
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm maybe your right, I will re-upload as JPGs instead of PNG's

Thanks by the way!
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting but it just really reminds me of how arbitrary and cut off light radius are in games. That tunnel should be amazingly lit up with all those lights, but thanks to being a game engine the light just cuts out sharply and quickly.

Really nice work for what it is though!
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback locator, I think the reason why it cuts off is because of simply the amount of space held between each light source. I could up the light radius but maybe it wouldn't enhance the sense of "vastness" held within that part of the scene? :/ But I will give it a shot.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    I really like it so far, but the only issue I have with it is there doesn't really seem to be any color variation.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright you got it. I'll go back and tweak the lighting colors too. This scene is so big and complex, the lighting has probably been the trickiest part :/
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I adore the sense of scale in this scene.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    In regards to the lighting look at your reference more closely and see how they balance the warm with the cool.

Majority is warm, even though lightly, and the green forge in the middle is so bright and cool that it balances it out.
    RwGWOJy.jpg

This one is also mostly warm and lot more than the last one. The bottom third of the image is cool, but I do not think it is enough to balance out the image, and I think if it was brighter blue it would be better. This one is not as good as the others in my opinion.
    LVVtjiz.jpg

The image is really blue and cool almost everywhere. Then those really bright red spots and black silhouettes in the foreground really balance it out.
    6dsndsv.jpg

This one is also cool all over, but those orange lights are doing just enough to balance it out along the bottom third.
    wloHuGp.jpg

In your image there is no balance. Everything feels super warm and hazy and needs some type of counter balance to it. Kick ass job on the scale though, it looks awesome so far.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the feedback man, I agree with the color balance, will get dead set on fixing! I have some ideas up my sleeve
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Besides working on my current centerpiece, I think I've also found a main color scheme I really liked! Also, got rid of a bunch of the hard-edged little lights. Personally think it looks better ^^ Although I've been looking at this for so long, its hard to tell at this point hehe.

IFGPB0q.jpg

hfs70HJ.jpg

B2hsJcC.jpg
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP shot of centerpiece under construction !

VeIlZMz.jpg
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The centerpiece spaceship guy will be emitting colored lights that will offset the warmer tones within the rest of the image, thats the plan!
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossHildick3D polycounter lvl 3
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the thread necro, but during my spare time I made this fly-through video for GDC, it will be a clip inside my demo reel soon enough. Feel free to check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La0lSr0N_qg&feature=youtu.be
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    WOw I missed this, great work!
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Insane work, really awesome job. Love looking back and seeing how you did some of the textures also!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    it looks good but I am not a big fan of the lighting, especially the red lights, it's all very warm with some random green colors. I feel like if you redid the lighting and used a better color pallet it would look even better. for example, if you used complimentary colors it would look much better. and I think it's really holding your scene back a lot. The main color is taken directly from one of your brown lights on top. I don't get why you mix yellow and brown lights and smoke either, they don't go well together generally. 4cgxjqC
    This second one is using complementarty colors as well, but directed from your second major color source yellow, both are saying you should contrast it with a cooler color in the blues. 7v5tV.jpg

The current color scheme doesn't really say anything, is the place hot? Why is it yellow and brown not orange?
    Here is it in a color that screams warmth and gives it a color that you can associate a mood or feeling with. gcJTxYA.jpg

The issue with it is that it's way too strong.

If you added blues to the scene it would create areas of interest and make it easier to read as well as make it feel a little nicer. The colors in your scene (all 3-4 of them) are very close in value, yellow, brown, red, green. It's random.

Colors like red are instantly the main center of attention in a scene and will instantly draw the eye, use them sparingly if at all. I find that if anything the use of a strong red in a scene, especially a warm scene will muddy it or just seam random rather than interesting and become visual noise.
    6dsndsv.jpg
    DSC00004.JPG
    7990160702_c546797665_h.jpg
    tumblr_mxcsebaHlE1rfyiu4o1_1280.jpg

I just saw bardlers post and realized we used an said a lot of the same stuff. Anyways I would at least try it because your scene looks pretty much the same after his post.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey AlexCat! Thanks for the feedback man, I'm just wondeing though if you are only referencing the screenshots back in December, or the new video made with blue colors, and new lighting added? ^^
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey AlexCat! Thanks for the feedback man, I'm just wondeing though if you are only referencing the screenshots back in December, or the new video made with blue colors, and new lighting added? ^^

I saw your video last night and I think it's still very applicable. I feel like a lot of your scenes in your portfolio could use some color adjustments as well to follow the complimentary color thing. Also still not trying to sound rude just crit.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got it! Thanks again for reaching out. Will see what I can do!!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got it! Thanks again for reaching out. Will see what I can do!!

Good, if you fail me, we are no longer best friends.

Just kidding.

Excited to see what you do.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been making efforts to improve the color scheme!

8rx2Edg.jpg
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could still work on the lighting a lot although it looks a bit better. Also maybe work on your tiling on your water as well as try and add more moving things or atmosphere, maybe make the purpose of the place a little bit more clear.

7xcYi
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    AlexCatMasterSupreme made good points. that orange looks good, the pink smoke and the red lights seem very random. as well as those lights on the left (the skin colorish ones) look faded and bland. I'd say bump up their saturation and make them a bit deeper. my personal opinion would also be to dark the overall scene and let the lights guide you. the way it seems now, theres no real focus. I wouldn't darken it a lot though, just a tad, to bring out the lights a bit more.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge wrote: »
    AlexCatMasterSupreme made good points. that orange looks good, the pink smoke and the red lights seem very random. as well as those lights on the left (the skin colorish ones) look faded and bland. I'd say bump up their saturation and make them a bit deeper. my personal opinion would also be to dark the overall scene and let the lights guide you. the way it seems now, theres no real focus. I wouldn't darken it a lot though, just a tad, to bring out the lights a bit more.

+1
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I dont know if I have the time right now to add moving objects or new assets to push the atmosphere, but I will go back to see if I can improve some parts of the lighting, and other things too ^^
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better but I am still noticing you are using so many different colors of lights, why not just stick to two and three and the most? You have red in the far hole in the ground (well pink still) and then the light and bright yellow, then orange that's too red, mixed with green. I think you're getting closer but should keep trying to make your lighting more uniform. The tunnel still has a few shades of different colors, unless that's the fog doing that.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    liking this a lot more. but now i noticed that smoke upto (guessing its smoke, or haze). that seems... off to me. feels like it should just be lighting coming from the top, not smoke/haze.

Maybe make it so its just a green fill lighting, and the industrial type lights are orange. i think that'll make things better. but not sure. i'd have to see how it looks first.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ AlexCat Personally I like this setup of using different colors of lights that are warm, rather than keeping them uniform. Personally I think it looks much more interesting, rather than sticking to a very linear set of hues. But that's just me. As for the tunnel I believe it looks better with some cooler fog tones thrown in there to interact with the complementary orange colors. Again, makes it more interesting IMO :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i get what you mean, but you want them to flow together, not contrast each other. it can work, I don't mind the lighting so much as it is honestly. and by fog smoke, i'm talking about up above everything. it just seems, random, like its not supposed to be there. but thats just me
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Luge I like having the ceiling fog there to not only exaggerate the distance but also help provide definition for the large silhouette shapes that are placed up there. I don't know if its too realistic, but to me it looks way better than without ^^
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    alright, i mean, it is what you want. we just give suggestions we like.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I'm trying to put down your comments or anything, far from it! I'm just explaining my thought processes right now!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    no i understand man. its just our suggestions. art is all about taste, and everyones taste changes person to person. there is a general sense of quality and common sense.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the fog, its really important, also I wasn't saying it was bad, I was asking if the change in color is from the fog in the tunnel.

As far as what you like, I understand that, but there are color rules that people naturally are drawn too, in this case you'd want to use complimentary colors. I'd at the very least give it a try and if it doesnt work it doesnt work. I know what luge doesn't like and it's that the fog is too bright, but doesn't seem to have a reason to be, if there is molten stuff down there casting light it doesn't exactly feel like it.

I think you should just at least try it and post it to see what people think. I understand how you feel about that, I have plenty of things I've made that I like but I know that x technique isn't commercially viable,I'm not trying to be a dick or box you in, rather the opposite.

I want this scene to be all that it can be and while you could work a scene to death, we all could, I think there are a few things that shouldn't take more than a few days to really take it to the next level and I want you to do well.

I think adding some more context with some simple particle systems with sparks, ect coming from the ground, maybe upping the smoke at the end of the water which im assuming is cooling something, maybe make it have a few layers of steam. add some strobing warning lights potentially in certain areas, maybe add a futuristic version of some typical foundry equipment. I liked that space ship idea you had as well, coming through the hole, I think making something happen there would be cool because it's kinda empty and could add functional context to your scene.

I think you can really take this to the next level this way man!

At least give it a try and use all complimentary colors and hues, think about what is bright in the scene and where you want to draw the eye, it is a busy scene, so your lighting is super important.

https://kuler.adobe.com/
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For sure dude! I plan on getting back to work on this when I get back from GDC this week. I'll be sure to use your suggestions to further this piece to where it should go :) Thanks again for the feedback!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D looking forward to it.
  • agitori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitori polycounter lvl 7
    this is some real work man, keep going!! I'm feeling inspired :D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options