Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ethics Be Damned! - Year 3 University Project.

Replies

• Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    The stylisation is really quite cool , they almost look like they are carved from stone , you using the planar brushes or polish to acheive that rough look?

The pose for the female face is a bit tight though , looks a bit like shes pouting, might be those lines running from the zygomatic bones down to the edge of the lips causing that though :P
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    @Hotcreat, sorry I didnt reply sooner, didnt see your comment =P

I usually start by creating a base mesh in Max, depending on the asset Ill use the base mesh as the final low poly. I then take this into Zbrush and sculpt any details and sometimes polypaint.

When the sculpt is done Ill retopologise in 3d Coat or Max (Decimation will probably work fine for most assets but wont be as efficient) - I then bake maps - Normal, AO, Cavity and Vertex Color.

Ill then generate a diffuse from Crazy Bump and then paint over in photoshop, I dont really have a fully established workflow for this stage as Im very much still learning - its usually a lot of experimentation. Obviously one major rule when using normal maps is you cant paint any highlights in the Diffuse.

It isnt all that interesting a workflow, nor it is it very efficient but like I said; Still learning =P
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    waw, love the art style,
    that clock looks amazing btw, love the pic with all the frames aswell, gonna be watching this thread! ;)
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks LuCh!

Another update on the character, I didn't have a very clear concept - just rough sketches so I took some time planning that out.

The head and hair, Its not very apparent here but the style Im going for is called "Gibson" I believe (Still very much a WIP)
    Y4K6b3f.png

Ive also started on the prosthetic for the Left Leg - The main body will be wooden and the middle band will be Leather, the braces will be metal and attached with screws
    TeGp82i.png
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Eliteabix! Can I ask what material you are using while you sculpt? Is it one you can download somewhere? I would love to play with it.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing. Its called "GRAY METAL" - can find it on the Zbrush download center.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the female character base mesh. Its a bit chunky right now but thats just so the sculpt yields stronger normals/AO

Jx0Y2xX.png
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, long time no see but I HAVE been busy, back onto the female character now - Ive made some progress on the base mesh but Ive decided to start some Zbrush work.

The leg to the right is meant to be bandages wrapped around the lower shin/ankle and the other images are of the prosthetic leg.

Any critique more than welcome as usual :D if anyone could help out with the leather texture around the prosthetic leg thatd be awesome as im having difficulty gettin that looking right.
    SAQ6Q4G.png
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Wow I love the grooves in the wood, care to share how you went about that? :)
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    The wood grooves look really nice, I'm a bit worried about how well the normals will bake, though.
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing work, looks really great!
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I wasn't too into the original concept for the antagonist, it was a bit boring and the silhouette wasnt too interesting so I decided to create a concept of my own - still a WIP obviously.

The general concept is that the protagonist experimented on one of his servants by "conducing death" and then trying to repair her and bring her back to life (as his wife was dying and he wanted to save her - think Dr. Freeze =P)

The focus of the design is this massive "life support" machine on her head, its not meant to be comfy of course as he had little concern for that at this point.
    rerHruM.png

Would love to hear feedback any any ideas you guys might have!

Also, Thanks Modebloggen and Wade - im not sure what the issue was with baking but I guess it doesnt matter now as Ive scrapped that =P

@Fullsynch - Thanks man :D Orbs crack brush is all you really need to know =P just google it, should be easy enough to find.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting project. The latest concept reminds me of the Boys of Silence from Bioshock.

Chains are always a pain to skin and around the hips/torso even more so. Just a consideration for the game mesh.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Ive had good feedback for this concept from my team members and other people on the course so Ive decided to go ahead with it. Im far more organized this time around and have a fairly decent idea as to how I want to tackle this.

So the concept - not much has changed here:
    rEup4X3.png

And heres my current progress on the base mesh/low poly:
    lFF6gRT.png

The "pegs" will be sharing a texture/duplicated, theyre just here as placeholders so I can sculpt the wounds. the belts are also missing, Im going to be using a modular texture for the leather straps etc so thisll be done later - same goes for the breathing pipe which is also just placeholder.

@nyx702 Thanks man! and yeh =/ people have gotten pyramid head vibes too - the concept was originally inspired by this but I cant say it hasnt been inspired by the boys of silence as Ive played Infinite. And yeh, the chains have kind of taken the backburner - I may just have chains hanging rather than around the waist.

As always, please give feedback and help me improve as Im still very much learning! =D