Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ethics Be Damned! - Year 3 University Project.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
ySsUuUj.png

EDIT: Please go to the last page for recent updates! I love hearing ANY feedback/ideas you guys have to offer!

Hey there, just started my 3rd year and Im currently working on a 2.5d "horror" game, I can give details if theres any interest but I mainly plan to use this thread for feedback. Im the only artist working on the game besides animators so if all goes well Ill be flooding this thread with related work.

And of course, feedback is greatly appreciated/encouraged! please dont hesitate to ask for sheets/better pictures etc.

5ApZVM4.png
Z0lACtg.png

zlAfZGd.png
xwJ91SE.png

Main Character (current WIP)
h8CxFx2.png
Ab8hmue.png

WbDGu7O.png
7kgHzj6.png

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    That Gramophone looks wicked, looking forward to seeing this pan out!
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont seem to be able to edit the original post so here:

-Gramophone presented slighlty better (and still a WIP)
    4Cz9T.jpg

-Wood Panelling

UDK
    4BU9W
    4Czuw
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some low ply Candlesticks etc

mrKsXyT.png
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been procrastianting majorly over the past few days (thank Civ 5 =P) but here are the candles normal map/AO/crazy bumped etc, obviously not final

0VQXYlD.jpg
    5CPSyCL.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    looks great, keep going!! :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    outstanding work so far mate, but i'd like to see the scale of the grammerphone enlarged. It may make a nice focal point to the room.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, and @Di$array, by Gramophone do ya mean the actual "horn"? If so, yeh I agree, gonna make it over the top big.

Also, calling candlesticks done unless anyone notices any massive flaws I havent
    OUHDwh0.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    You can barely tell the difference even in this close-up render. I imagine it will be seen at a much greater distance in the game. I honestly think 256x256 will be fine.

If you have to fill an entire game with assets all by yourself, painting at this crazy high resolution will also just take unnecessary time. I would consider creating these textures at a much lower resolution to begin with. If you paint a texture at 2k and scale down to 512, you will just waste a lot of your hard work.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DemonPrincess Yeh, I think Ive learnt my lesson, Im gonan stick to lower res maps from now on. Like you said its easier to paint quickly and tbh I like the lower res version better if anything.

5evKjbY.jpgWith Emissive, sticking to lower res too.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About to start on the main character so Ive done some rough drawings, will upload more soon, its based on someone in our group but aged significantly.

Just some context, its set just after WW1, the character you play as is a doctor whose wife falls into a Coma and he tries everything to revive her but eventually turns to more occult stuff when he finds his fathers book in his library (he is well off) - he starts sacrificing his patients, stealing limbs/organs etc and even performs experiments on his servants.
    p7cuSze.png
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    very nice! as for main character concept around 1920 man ( espcially with "class" like doctors) had slick hair and a nice shaven face , not all of them ofcourse but most of them had, maybe thats something to keep in mind :)
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Main character cont....

started sculpting, plan to retopo in 3d-coat. This is very much a work in progress, any critique is more than welcome!
    TJAriqz.jpglzXeMto.jpg
    7ikxHtf.jpg
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the face sculpt is getting near done, unless theres anything youguys think needs changing. Im undecided on what facial hair to go with and the hair is still a WIP so any suggestions regarding that would be greatly appreciated too! (Short BIO of the character in previous post)

SerFBMd.png
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Just thought I'd let you know that the images are all blocked by Barracuda:

The link you are accessing has been blocked by the Barracuda Web Filter because it contains spyware. The name of the spyware is: Spyware.Exploit.Misc.MU.puu.sh

If you believe this is an error or need to access this link, please contact your administrator.

Not sure if it's a false alarm but it does mean that some people can't see your stuff :(
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thats not good =P I guess puush isnt the best thing to use, thanks for the heads up, ill reupload :D
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sorry for the massive delay on work etc, had a dissertation to finish =[ Ive put some time into the main character tho - this is my first character model so its a massive learning curve which is great.

The low poly head is 512x and roughly 800 polys, no specular yet (using Diff as a palceholder)
    Ab8hmue.png
    7kgHzj6.png
    WbDGu7O.png

Id LOVE some feedback on this!!!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    I like where this is going. You have a very interesting stylization and it's pretty appealing. My only critiques right now would be to watch some of the wrinkles and folds (either for this character or in the future) I think most of them are pretty believable but, in my opinion, the wrinkles at the knees and the folds just above the elbow don't look as believable.
    I love the exaggerated coloring in the face. It's one of my favorite parts. Have you tried a more blueish hue for around the chin? It might be worth testing out. It's really green at the moment and I kind of wonder what it would look like if that green was tinted a little more blue? Anyways, please post more :)
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. and yeh I totally agree with the creases on the clothes, Im kind of just slapping them on and hoping for the best so Ill be sure to edit those.

As for the head, Ive tried to draw from a style of classical painting, I remember they used colour to break up the different parts of the face and these colours would correspond to blood flow in certain areas ie. redder areas = high blood flow. However I think Id be better off sticking to the red/blue side of the spectrum for he diffuse and then possibly hinting at some greens in the specular.

Again, thanks for the crits, always appreciated :D
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know what your reference is for your character, but he totally reminds me of a stylistic version of the Butcher from the movie Gangs of New York.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, great movie. Might be the moustache/chin =D
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could really use some advice - Im not sure how to go about the topology around the bottom of the waistcoat/belt mD0MuKp.png
    xHpD9oh.png

Ive been racking my brains on this for a while now and Its giving me a headache xD this is where my inexperience in character modelling becomes obvious with my lack of planning.

Im not sure whether I should just bake it all onto a fairly low poly mesh or try and add some geo to the detail ie. the edge of the waistcoat - ANY help will be so appreciated you wouldn't even believe =P
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    It depends on what your target platform is, how important the character is, whether you are developing him, how often he is seen, From what angles and distance he is likely to be seen from, whether your character will have animated cloth physics (faked in animation or realtime) and a number of other factors. Ask yourself all of these questions and then you will know the answer.
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think about this- you say the character would give anything to revive his wife? If I sacrifice everything for someone, does that include hygene? If I am so driven that all I live for is to revive someone via occult means, would I give a shit about combing my mustache or buttoning my vest?

"Only when we loose everything are we truly fee to live
    -Tyler Durden"
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply man, its a 2.5d game so it probably doesnt need any geo tbh, Ive kind of forgotten that along the way. This doesn't forgive my poor planning though but I think it'll work out alright simply baked on.

@Uohm I guess hes a shrewd man, he tries to keep up appearances to avoid looking suspect, his recent unkemptness is because hes literally just escaped a collapsing building =P
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad I could help :P I love helping by not answering questions!
  • frizzank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the art style, keep up the outstanding work.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Azzamat, Yeh, Im trying to keep portfolio in mind at the same time and I convinced myself that something more complicated would make me look better but it really wasnt necessary for the game Im working on - Helping people help themselves is always the better way to go about things =P

@Frizztank, Thanks for the kind words! means a lot :D

And of anyones interested/wants to critic wireframe etc hers a Sketchfab (just wanted an opportunity to use it as its awesome)
    [SKETCHFAB]0c3b952010214f9a864ae2e8cdd9d1aa[/SKETCHFAB]
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this is looking pretty awesome. I like the art style a lot. One thing though is your topology should follow the anatomy of your head more closely if you want to show that you can model heads that have the proper topology so they could be animated. You can read more about it on the polycount wiki here: http://wiki.polycount.com/FaceTopology

I just quickly drew over your head to show you what I mean. 0wRZ6xM.jpg

It gets a little complicated with the moustache on there though. You might want to make it a separate mesh?
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gloriousczar, thanks man! appreciated!

There arent plans for much facial animation apart from the eyes/brow, as for the mustache, I made it part of the face for ease of painting mainly but I tried to keep the topo as close as possible to what you advised.

I really dont have much experience with facial anim but do you think the brow etc would still deform properly?

Once again, thanks for the time taken. :D
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Haha I'm no expert either so take my help with a grain of salt. The brow seems ok, is this a portfolio piece? Even if you aren't animating it, if you are showing it to potential employers they will probably want to see that you can make a head with proper topology so it can be properly animated with no problems later on in the production.

I'm just a student too but that's sort of my thought process.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, I totally agree - it might turn out that the topo is sufficient but Ill certainly make sure to find time to show I can create a character with proper topology.

Definitely both valid and relevant advice though :P
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the character model, started texturing finally :D

hTLjPXf.png
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates - have had other stuff on recently but back to work.

Some picture frames, mostly modular (I have some space on the UVs for additional pieces. the round frame and the "flourishes" are all just alphas on a flat plane. (1st image UDK, 2nd Marmo)
    5ApZVM4.png
    Z0lACtg.png

Some tiles - this variation is for indoors ie Pantry/Cellar but there will be an outside variation with moss/weeds etc.
    zlAfZGd.png
    xwJ91SE.png

And current progress on the character model - still very much a WIP but I have plenty of time to go back and work on this whenever. Im not very happy with the collar area atm.
    h8CxFx2.png

As always, give me your critiques! tear my work to pieces!
  • Kabendji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, Keep going :)

Just one question, how did u get texture like this? it's handpainted?
  • marcel gold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man keep up the good work i like the art style you are going for keep up the work and hope to see more work
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, @Kabendji Its not technically handpainted but thats the style Im going for, most of the details are sculpted in Zbrush and thats where most of the stylisation happens - I then bring baked maps into photoshop and paint over them a bit.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    In the latest t pose of your character his crotch looks a little low, might just be me but looks a little like hes carrying extra weight their, try pulling it up just a touch and see how it looks?
  • mediochrea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    Absolutely wicked tiles, although the two cracked ones in the top right corner might appear noticeably repetitive when tiled. Or not. *shrug*
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, @Anthricus, Hmm I know what you mean, will look into that.
    @Medochrea - Yes, it turned out that it did, I had to go back and cover that up by filling in the crack with dirt etc.

Started work on a clock tonight, there are still fittings etc to be done - The wood is very flat and Im not very pleased with how this is turning out but I must battle on.

qEI3wP7.png
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    dem tiles tho...
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Could it be because the details on the clock are too large? It looks like a grandfather clock which would be quite tall but the wood details are larger than the details on the frames you made earlier. Just my 2p :)
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clock nearly there, needs some hands though. Im a bit happier with this now its more complete but still very much open to any critiques!

Thanks for the comments so far guys!

4k8KUyy.png

Wires if anyones interested. 504 polys. 1k map
    tK6uXYj.png
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would consider adding a bit more geometry and fleshing out the innards a bit more. I think it will look very obviously flat when you start moving around it, Unless you are using bump offset.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Livewire, Haha thannks stranger! =P

@Azzamat, I totally get what you're saying but the wires dont show the geo inside the clock, the chains are just alphas but the weights have geo so it all looks fairly 3-d.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh right! in that case I would think you would be better off cutting that hole out instead of using an alpha layer. Especially if there is stuff with alphas behind it.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I didnt actually think of that, good point. I havent seen any issues in UDK/Marmo though.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You probably wouldn't do. UDK is good with sorting, especially with opacity mask. But with something so blocky it just seems like a waste of an alpha map.
  • Hotcreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaazing job you've done so far with your props. What's the workflow to achieve the handpainted style ? Would you mind sharing it ? AAA
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Azzamat - Yeh possibly but I needed an Alpha for the chains etc, there are certainly parts that could of been thought out better though.

Started work on the female character :D